Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OER stoves
  • mikeys

Thinking about joining the STW logburner club and have seen a discount offer on an OER stove. I can’t find much in the way of reviews or recommendations on the internet so thought I would test out what Singletrackers think. Does anyone have information to help with?

Also what are the problems of running a higher kW rated stove at lower heat in a room that is smaller than needs it?

Thanks

sharkbait
    Free Member

Also what are the problems of running a higher kW rated stove at lower heat in a room that is smaller than needs it?

Don’t do it… you’ll simply end up with a choked up flue and black stove glass and you’ll emit more crap into the atmosphere rather than burning it up – stoves like, and need, to be hot.
    get a smaller stove and run it harder.

Never heard of OER…. I’d stick with the better known names if I were you. Take a look at whatstove for a bit of help

mikeys

Cheers, that all makes good sense to me. I’ll be holding fire for a while then!

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d second everything shark bait said, but add if you do find a stove makes a room too hot you can try and shift cool air in from outside the room, a floor fan blowing cooler air at the stove can help circulate heat round the rest of the house a bit. I’ve also read of people using extra firebrick to line the stove and basically allow a large stove top burn a small fire hot, can’t comment on it though.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

OER are a decent stove, but there are better ones out there.

Don’t buy a stove too big for the room and try to heat the whole house, you’ll be surprised how warm an average lounge can get with just 4-5kw.

If you buy a small output stove you’ll be able to use it more even on milder days.

dannybgoode

^ this. We have a 5kw in a 5x5m room with a high ceiling and it’s plenty hot enough.

Takes an hour or so to properly get up to temperature using coal (quicker with wood) but once it’s going we have to have the door open to the room otherwise it gets unbearable.

granny_ring

What size room are you looking to heat OP?

granny_ring

Twinw4ll, will send you a message on here.

mrmoofo

Morso Squirrel …
    That is all you need …

mikeys

Thanks for all the thoughts. It’s only a small room really, but not sure quite on the size (we’re away from home at the moment!). When we got a quote a while back they recommended a 4kW stove.

fizik
    Free Member

Don’t forget depending on the size (I think 5kw and above correct me if wrong) you need to install ventilation into the room for building regs

dannybgoode

5kw is ok without additional ventilation…

fizik
    Free Member

Ok is it above 5kw you need it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve also read of people using extra firebrick to line the stove and basically allow a large stove top burn a small fire hot, can’t comment on it though.

I have done this works fine but heat output is reduced

Mainly because the fireplace is massive and a normal stove looks tiny

5 inch flue into normal chimney so no issues with soot it still burns at normal rate

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve made a reasonable effort to be as conscientious as possible, not only to the environment, but also to my neighbours. Bought a modern very efficient stove (expensive, but bought half price on ebay, ex shop demo) small 4.3kw (so always able to run at ramming speed for the size of rooms, lounge door still needs to be left open tho as Defra exempt, it can’t be shut down much) and found a local tree surgeon who only sells his waste wood properly seasoned but cheap(ish). I did buy a fancy load of logs for my indoor wood stores, for decoration, but mostly burn the seasoned tree surgeon waste (stored outside). Usually start the fire with kindling and one fancy log to quickly get up to temp, then use tree surgeon’s cheaper waste logs, seems to be the best approach for achieving virtually zero smoke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OER stoves’ is closed to new replies.