Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Odd puncture of the day (with Stans)
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Riding home from work today, the long way as there was snow on the ground and a full moon in the sky, I heard the familiar hissing from the front wheel and felt the tyre going soft. I looked down and saw a clump of something sticking to the tyre. I assumed this was a thorn with leaves and twig still attached.
    However, when I stopped and removed it I found that it was actually half a bird skeleton. The head and beak remained attached, and another dangly bit but it was the sharp end of the broken wishbone that had gone through the sidewall of the tyre.

For reasons a bit complicated to go into now I had Stans fluid inside a tube and it did naff all.

What’s the oddest pucture you’ve had?

Kunstler

For reasons a bit complicated to go into now I had Stans fluid inside a tube and it did naff all.

I understand your need for discretion and I hope it works out for you in the end.

I had a 2″ nail go through a tyre.
    The sealant sealed the hole in the tyre OK, but the point of the nail ended up ripping holes in the rim strip which the sealant couldn’t seal as the centrifugal force throws it outwards.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As graham says, those areas where tubeless solution finds it harder to get to are harder to seal.

Lying the bike on its side, with the side wall puncture towards the ground where the sealant could pool may have sorted your problem

scruff
    Free Member

A novel puncture. I’ve had a couple of flats when below zero with stans, it may not freeze but it doesnt work aswell.

luked2
    Free Member

Stan’s seems rubbish at sealing punctures in the tyres of people you ride with who still insist on using inner tubes.

So I keep going out on a ride and then sitting around while they all gather round some up-ended bike, fiddling with tubes and patches and pumps and such.

I might bring a book next time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Odd puncture of the day (with Stans)’ is closed to new replies.