Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Odd pre-ride rituals…..
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Didn’t realise I had any until Mrs Sox pointed out that I always clean my teeth prior to exiting the house on a bike! *she’s right, btw*
    No idea why I do it. 😐
    Anyone else with a quirk/ritual ??

stu170
    Free Member

Always have a poo

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for a dump if I can.

Also, I stop at the top of the road to check I’ve got

Camel back,
    Phone
    Camera
    Wallet
    Bike
    Lid
    Gloves
    5:10’s

andyrm
    Free Member

Always put left kneepad on before the right one, check and recheck backpack, put phone in as the very last thing I do before actually setting off. Strange……

Scapegoat

As soon as I put my jacket or shirt over my bibs I need a crap. :[

bigbloke
    Free Member

+1 for dump

Simon

I always put my left sock/shoe/knee pad on first too 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

Poo. Then wee as soon as I hit the ‘off road’.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ha Ha not just me then oldgit

gee
    Free Member

I always put my gloves, water bottle and garmin on the bonnet of my car, get the bike out, check tyres etc then retrieve belongings from bonnet…

bob_summers

Cut stalks off bananas, so they don’t scratch my back in the jersey pocket which makes sense except it’s become so embedded I even do it when they’re going in a camelbak 🙄

Lummox

Not pre ride but I always say ‘I’ll do one more then another, and actually only do the one, it’s a curse to say ‘i’ll do one more’

corundum
    Free Member

+1 for a poop here – usually need a whizz as soon as bibs go on, generally on arrival in the carpark!

nuke

Find and put on my g-shock watch and find my small fold up Parks allen keys which go in my right pocket…bordering on ocd now as I’ve done the same for years and it just doesn’t feel right if either or both aren’t there

vondally
    Free Member

re check I have my keys to get back in with……………minimum 6 times 🙄

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Poo before I put bibs on then have to squeeze another one out just before as well! Just too make sure!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have to go for a dump before I leave the house. It doesn’t matter if I am riding from home or if there is a 3 hour drive, I don’t normally need another until well after the ride. Strangely, and this might be too much info, they are never solid even if I am having no tummy trouble.

Also when I am driving to ride I always fold the seats up and put the parcel shelf in place before locking the car. This is so it doesn’t look like I have gone for a ride. I also check that I have locked the car at least 6 times. It was a very odd feeling when mindmap drove me to Antur Stiniog the other week, no ocd induced weirdness.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Pre ride strong coffee ritual, then I just have zipped bag OCD, and normally take it off and recheck keys/phone etc are definitely secure 😆 Then for extra OCD sometimes ask my riding buddy is my phone compartment zipped up haha

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I also check that I have locked the car at least 6 times.

😆 😆 😯 I do that with the front door sometimes.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh I check the house at least twice but that not a riding thing. I even have to check it when my wife has locked it.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member
    Oh I check the house at least twice but that not a riding thing. I even have to check it when my wife has locked it.

For best effect, turn around and drive back 5 minutes into your journey to check she’s locked it 😆

stewartc
    Free Member

+1 poo, it’d always good to get that out of the way and I will not leave until I’ve splashed water.

federalski
    Free Member

A big luxurious crap as well.
    I always seem to check the wind speed and direction now as well…(not related to my first sentence…)
    Also got into the habit of leaving a can of gt85 and a rag behind the door for minimum faff upon arriving back.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@fed I do the same with purple extreme on chain and stanchions to give quick clean up

simmy
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one with the door OCD, I’ve even turned back to check not just the door but to check the dogs are safely in the kitchen as I’m on a main road and they will run out to meet me whilst I’m struggling to get the bike in.

Many a time I’ve got ready, out the door all kitted up, turned round and have left the bike in the front room, even left it at my mates after a cold night ride and didn’t realise till he was locking his door for the night 😳

banks
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one who cuts the stems of bananas : )

IanW
    Free Member

Wake up
    Pee
    Boil kettle
    Lay out helmet, tool/money wallet, gloves etc
    Coffee
    Toast butter marmalade
    Poo
    Bum butter
    Top of tyres
    Acquire position
    Ride

nickc

try to twist off my grips just to make sure they don’t move. Been using lock ons for ages now….

brakes
    Free Member

I have a mantra that originally related to setting off on my commute to work, but I now say it twice before any ride as I’m leaving the door, and also if I’m leaving for an overnight stay somewhere (none bike related). it’s basically the contents of my bag from when I first started commuting years ago but doesn’t cover everything I need and also has stuff I now don’t:

shoes, socks, pants, trousers, belt, shirt, tie, workpass, phones, keys, wallet… toiletries.

people are weird.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Toast
    Coffee
    Poo
    more coffee
    cereal
    check tyres are at the right pressure
    Get dressed
    Get undressed for another poo.
    Get dressed again.
    Go ride a bike.

lazybike
    Free Member

Left sock before right, same with shoes.. good to go.

brooess
    Free Member

Riding and walking mates know they’ll always get to enjoy the sight of me repacking the bag I’ve just carefully packed, to double check I’ve not forgotten anything.

On the plus side, I never do forget anything, and when something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere I’m usually the one with the spare thing and the kit you need to get you out of trouble 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Odd pre-ride rituals…..’ is closed to new replies.