Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Odd phobias
  • Bregante

The ” what wouldn’t you do for money” thread got
    me wondering, what odd phobias do you all
    have. Mine is Polystyrene, specifically the stiff stuff. I can’t stand it, even typing about it makes my flesh crawl. It makes ordering shiny stuff tricky without letting
    mrs B know, pretty difficult, let me tell you.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a phobia about phobias?

donsimon
    Free Member

Springs. Scared stiff of taking covers off things in case there’s a spring hiding, waiting to throw a million components across the room. Seriously, I hate them.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Best you don’t look under any fridges then. That’s where all the renegade springs go to hang out

RealMan
    Free Member

When the cleaner comes into my room and cleans the bathroom, she pulls the shower curtain closed when she leaves.

First thing I do is pull it open. Can’t stop thinking there is something/someone behind there.

Why would you close it anyway? How is that helpful? I’m just going to have to open it to get in anyway.

Trimix
    Free Member

I had a GF who had a phobia about balloons – no idea why. Couldnt walk past a second hand car showroom.

Smarty
    Free Member

Can’t stop thinking there is something/someone behind there.

I’m scared to death of Mr. Underbed !!

I can’t sit on a bed with my feet on the floor in case he’s about to grab my feet and drag me under there.

beej

Telephoning for takeaway food.

I’m scared of it all going wrong. Not helped by my early experiences being for a bunch of awkward people (“no cheese”, “can you make sure there’s no tomato in the curry”, “I don’t like coriander sprinkled on the top”, “can you check there’s no cream or yoghurt”). JUST PICK OUT THE BITS YOU DON’T LIKE!

To be fair, it’s hard to scrape the tomato sauce off a pizza.

Oh, and I don’t really like calling for taxis. In case they don’t arrive in time. Or just telephoning people in general.

I really should have thought through my career choice of working for a mobile phone company.

TN
    Free Member

I am not sure if you’d call it a phobia, but I have a ‘thing’ about fabric. I don’t walk round nekkid or anything, it’s just rubbing fabric with my hands – imagine that Punt & Dennis ‘milky milky’ sketch, rubbing their hands up and down their thighs. <shudder>
    Even watching other people rub fabric just creeps me out.
    I make quite a lot of clothes – this is a little bit of a hindrance for me.
    Yeah. Weird. :-S

AdamW
    Free Member

Dunno if it is a strange one but I can’t abide blades. Keep having nightmares about them being hidden in soap or in something I eat. Scalpels send me screaming. Strange though that as long as the incision stuff has been done I can watch operations on the telly no problem!

EDIT: oh yeah, and bone-dry towels make my skin crawl. Weird that.

McHamish
    Free Member

Dysgrammatòppòbia.

That’s a wierd one.

elaineanne
    Free Member

SPIDERS : i check my bedroom walls everynite ! even “him indoors” is reluctant to ‘shooo’ spidey on its way..lol

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Swimming pool drains, can’t go near them, and if I feel one blowing on me total freak out panic time!

donsimon
    Free Member

Dysgrammatòppòbia.

Whats that?

RealMan
    Free Member

Telephoning for takeaway food.

I’m scared of it all going wrong.

Not what I’d call a phobia, but I feel pretty intimidated going into a place like McDonalds or Burger King. It’s like you’re meant to know their menu off by heart or something. I don’t go to these places very often – I don’t know what a meal is, and I don’t know what drinks they do. But they look at me like I’m a complete freak when I ask..

wtf?

allthepies
    Free Member

Why would you close it anyway? How is that helpful?

It she’s washed it then leaving it unfolded helps the water evaporate and stops black mould growing.

godzilla
    Free Member

I know person who is scared of button’s and one who is scared of cotton wool.
    Very strange indeed.

RealMan
    Free Member

It she’s washed it then leaving it unfolded helps the water evaporate and stops black mould growing.

Ok I can understand that. Doesn’t help though.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hairdressers – not been for 23 years.

nicko74

Cotton wool. I can understand it, and in certain circumstances it’s useful, but just that feeling when you rub it together.
    Chewing cotton wool – even the thought of it makes my skin crawl

emsz
    Free Member

Cottage cheese.

Awful stuff, not phobic really just reminds me of sick, smells like sick looks like sick….bleuuurgghh

Bregante

don simon – Member
    Dysgrammatòppòbia.

Whats that?
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Aah, fear of bad grammar. Is the double “p” Latin or just rubbish spelling on your part McHamish? 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Whoosh! 🙄

Bregante

Not at all

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just asked my family if I had any phobia’s and my 14 year old son piped up YES BEING NORMAL 😆 git!

donsimon
    Free Member

Not at all

😳 Fair enough, what’s a the art of pi55 poor reading called?

scaredypants

nicko74 – Member
    Cotton wool. I can understand it, and in certain circumstances it’s useful, but just that feeling when you rub it together.

haha ! – I used to work with a girl who had a thing about it too. We used to sellotape it to the bottom of things and she’d pick them up and then chuck them away from her when she realised what was under there 😆

Oh, and “Chewing cotton wool” – 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a phobia about phobias?

phobophobia

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

AdamW
    Free Member

wtf?

Weird, yes. I keep imagining them in my mouth all extremely dry. Yech.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dog sh!t. I actually refuse to take our/her dog for a walk in case it craps in the street, no way Pedro am I gonna go near it. It’s the only smell on Earth that make me want to honk.

timwillows
    Free Member

I have had a fairly normal relationship with cotton wool, but never really considered trying to eat it!

Coyote
    Free Member

Moths.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Worms

Bregante

Seriously, my problem with polystyrene is sooo bad I had a Scalextric as a kid that I couldn’t remove from the box. I had to let my little brother have the best car every time, just so he would set it up for me.

bassspine
    Free Member

aibohphobia, the fear of palindromes is my favourite.

I did a guided ride with a group including a woman who had a bridge phobia. Which was a pain because I’d deliberately designed the route round a favourite bridge of mine. Ooops.

Bregante

F1 John Player Lotus, if you’re wondering

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Baked beans, I don’t even like looking at them.

Milt
    Free Member

Why would you close it anyway? How is that helpful?

helps people with phobias of shower curtain mould. Bunching up of damp shower curtains can cause mould.

Bez

Crabs. Tasty in a sandwich but I’ll run away screaming from a whole one, live or dead.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Sharp pointy things near my eyes. Well not even near my eyes, just pointing in my direction.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Odd phobias’ is closed to new replies.