Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Odd car insurance question
  • andrewh
    Free Member

My housemate’s boyfriend can’t drive.
    She hasn’t been driving long enough to be allowed to sit with him.
    I have drive other cars,third party, on my insurance.
    If she insures him as a named driver on her car can I sit with him?
    Cheers

scotroutes

Hmm. I’m not sure you even have to be insured as long as you have a driving licence? Interesting one though. Maybe you do need some sort of insurance in the event you had to intervene and drive the car….

legend
    Free Member

It’s not an insurance thing, it’s a license thing instead. So if you’re old enough then crack on

thegreatape
    Free Member

What they said

paladin

scotroutes – Member
    Hmm. I’m not sure you even have to be insured as long as you have a driving licence? Interesting one though. Maybe you do need some sort of insurance in the event you had to intervene and drive the car….

Yep, I’m sure you need to be able to drive the car,therefore be insured to do so.

Edit to add THIS

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thought you’d have to be insured.

Way I look at it is you have an experienced driver there to supervise. If you’re a rubbish learner they may have to take over and get you home. If that happens then they need to be insured to drive your car legally!

thegreatape
    Free Member

There’s no legal requirement that the supervisor must be insured on the vehicle, but for the reasons given above it’s very sensible.

Remember you can’t use your phone, be pissed, have crap eyesight, fall asleep etc.

petrieboy

As I understand it the supervisor is responsible for the provisional driver. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for someone else’s actions without being able to defer at least some of that risk to an insurer.

legend
    Free Member

Yep, I’m sure you need to be able to drive the car,therefore be insured to do so.
    Edit to add THIS
    POSTED 8 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Did you read what you linked to?

Under Supervising Driver: “
    Insurance
    Make sure the learner driver is insured to drive the vehicle they are using for private practice”

paladin

legend – Member

Did you read what you linked to?

Yep. Also this bit……..

Vehicle Owned by the Learner
    If the vehicle is owned by the learner, the supervising driver will usually be covered on the learner driver’s own insurance and, therefore, does not have to be insured separately. However, check the details before starting to supervise the learner, and whether the insurer has set any restrictions, such as requiring the supervising driver to be over 25 years old.

Although, to be honest, that’s just the first answer I got on google. No idea if its correct.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The bit ‘the supervising driver will usually be covered on the learner driver’s own insurance’ can be read a couple of ways…

Perhaps it means that when you’re supervising the learner, in the learner’s car that is properly insured for the learner to drive, that any liability arising from a mistake by you the supervisor is (usually) covered?

For example, the supervisor tells the learner it’s ok to pull out of a junction, when in fact it wasn’t and a collision occurs. The supervisor, being deemed in control of the vehicle, is at fault, but their third party liabilities are covered by the learners policy.

Alternatively, ‘ the supervising driver will usually be covered on the learner driver’s own insurance ‘ could be read as the supervisor is usually covered to drive the learners car, but it’s not explicitly saying that.

I think it’s the former, although also think its a little ambiguous.

irc

GoCompare’s opinion is that the supervisor needs to be a named driver for the car.

The learner must either be insured as a named driver on your vehicle’s policy or, if they’re learning in their own car, they must be insured as the main driver, and the supervisor must be insured as a named driver.

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/teaching-a-learner-to-drive/

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s something most (if not all) insurers stipulate then. Understandably I suppose.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Odd car insurance question’ is closed to new replies.