Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Octavia VRS estate – thoughts?
  • alexonabike

Looking at getting an estate car and seeing as I only do about 7,000 miles a year, was thinking about a petrol.

Really like the look of the Octy and can get a newer VRS than a derv for the same money.

My mate has had two hatchbacks and loves them. Anyone got any thoughts on owning one?

monkeychild
    Free Member

The estate doesn't offer much more space than the hatch tbh.

alexonabike

maybe not, but it has those annoying brace bars behind the rear seats.

monkeychild
    Free Member

They are not that annoying really.

metalheart
    Free Member

I used to have a mark 1 one.

I liked it a lot. Best car I have personally owned (but that doesn't count for much…).

I found mpg was 33-35 (although did manage 41 over a weeks trip to Skye!). That that was pretty good on a 180bhp petrol motor. I used to gun it every night on the way home too (just to get the torque steer).

Things I didn't like were the low clearance at the front (used to grind out on the front on down off of full width speed bumps (certain streets were no go as a result), the insurance was higher and it made me drive like a cock. well I guess it did have an audi engine… :mrgreen:

I still miss that car…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Mk 1 = crashy ride. That's my useful input…

EvoKnievel
    Free Member

I've got a mark II VRS petrol hatch.

Best car I've had without doubt. I'm sure the mpg will increase above early 30s when the novelty wears off. Unfortunately I've had it 12 months and the novelty hasn't worn off.

The only downsides are;

Stereo is a bit rubbish
    Its crap in snow with the standard tyres

Hope this helps.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've a limited edition VRs hatch (basically a mk2 (pre face lift) and let go packed with goodies and no VAT BARGAINTASTIC)

Really really like it. 6 months of motoring and 11,000 miles later still love it. 180 BHP and a lorry load of torques = big grins

Petrol is quicker than the diesel so must = even more grins / mile.

The VRS has a nice touch screen stereo with SD card slot and a jack socket for an Ipod AND a 6 disc changer. Why they feel it needs that many diferent music inputs I'll never know but hey ho.

My front tyres are still fine too (maybe half left) so its not even a tyre scrubber, which i thought it could be.

Quick, efficient, comfy, well equipped, good reliability, good build, massive boot, nice to drive, sticks to the road like sh1t to a blanket,… I could go on. I like mine and i know 3 other blokes with them too and they all love theirs.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Similar car, so maybe worth a look is the Mondeo ST Estate.

The vRS is a little newer and more of a premium product, but the Mondeo will be much cheaper.

I have the diesel ST and chose it over the vrs simply on value for money. Both really nice cars for biking, can't go wrong with either IMO.

mmannerr

Noisy as hell, I would get one if ear plugs were not mandatory on back seat passengers.

hora
    Free Member

I've said this before about the 1.8T. The engine feels 'nervous'/stilted (jolty? through the gears revs). A remap cures that a treat 🙂

I thought the VRS I test drove was ok but if I was only driving 7,000 miles a year and looking for something fairly nippy/practical it wouldnt be a Octavia. Partly because of the seats that are impractical for a family let alone a muddy cyclist.

Ah! You mean the 2.0T VRS? Thats different- I'd have a 2.0T VRS hatch and yes – that is far more practical than the old one IMO.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have had my MK2 VRs petrol etate for about 8 months now and dont for a minute regret the decision to buy. Moderately quick for a car that size and I regularly get 35mpg (up to 40 on long trips if driven carefully). Its big, not massive inside but what sold it to me was the quality of the interior/exterior compared to its peers.

timber

can't fit a harp in the back – that's my thought and why I couldn't have one

binners

Hora is, as usual, talking out of his arse! 😛 I've had a vRS estate for a few years and its a blinding car! I can't recommend it highly enough. As far as room in the back is concerned, we've had 3 people, 3 bikes and a full weekends camping gear in no bother.

Thelow front is a pain in the arse. I nearly ripped mine off over a kerb

More importantly, if you wind it right up on the M61 after a night ride, you can get over 140mph out of it. Apparently 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Binners, you drive like a rep driver late for his next presentation. Don't listen to him!

el_diablo
    Free Member

Great cars. The mk2 hatch doesn't have the strengtheners in the boot.
    The mk2 is also a 2.0 with 197bhp.
    The diesel is 170bhp.

(by the way I sell them!)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They are not that annoying really.

Still a reason to get the estate though…

The vRS is a little newer and more of a premium product, but the Mondeo will be much cheaper.

The STs are holding their value really well – you'll be doing well to get a decent condition ST155 with less than 100k for much less than £8k. I saw a 55 plate ex-Police vRS go for £1850 on ebay the other day. Admittedly it had 151k on the clock, but the STs are still generally more expensive, unless you're going for a mk2 (200bhp) vRS.

I've also been looking at them for quite a while… 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I would rather buy a 150k taxi than a 150 ex Police car. Saying that I wouldnt go near an ex-taxi either.

The 'no expense spared' bollox on some ex-rozzer indie ads makes me laugh.

alexonabike

I'm looking at a mk1 Octy not mk2 – my budget is £4k. It needs to be an estate. I'm also thinking of the 4×4 1.8T (150bhp) – maybe it's this cold weather!

Aristotle
    Free Member

The 'no expense spared' bollox on some ex-rozzer indie ads makes me laugh

Do you know anything about the service schedule of Police cars, Hora?

In fact, do you know about anything?

hora
    Free Member

Ive seen a fair few threads on pistonheads discussing the pros and cons. I imagine the people they have sat in the back arent always Sunday School teachers either. Plus 150k isnt a long and steady drive down the motorway to London and back. Parts might be replaced but I'd rather buy something that hasnt had a potentially (hidden) hard life thank you. 🙄

VRS estates are like rocking horse shit. If your budgets 4k max I'd recommend (as you say) looking at the older 51/52 plate 1.8T 4×4 or the equally rare(?) 1.8T Passat estate?

binners

Hora in talking bollox shocka!!!

Hora – you drive like my gran anyway. All you do is whine like a girl when your in the car with me. How on earth can you pontificate on performance vehicles?

hora
    Free Member

I only 'find' religion whilst sat in your passenger seat.

Ps. Aristotle- whilst they will keep a strict schedule during Force ownership I doubt they will go over the car and fix/replace anything thats looking worn when its about to leave the fleet. Things like gearboxes etc etc….huh? 😉

fatboyjon

I've got an ex-police (unmarked car) VRS estate and it's flinking brilliant. Had my mechanic mate give it a full going over and bought it on his recommendation as it was really well kept. All the major bits under the bonnet have stickers on saying when replaced and it runs like a dream.

Taking Mrs FBJ into hospital at 3am to have little FBJ was the perfect excuse to explore the envelope. Oh my God it's fast and I'm really glad we chose to use the birth centre in Buxton for the drive up there alone.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ive seen a fair few threads on pistonheads discussing the pros and cons.

Ah, those reliable sources of information. 😉

On a quick medium size estate note, it could be worth having a look at a Ford Focus ST170 estate if you can find one – there weren't too many made, but they did get good write-ups.

daveh
    Free Member

I'm also thinking of the 4×4 1.8T (150bhp) – maybe it's this cold weather!

The 1.8T is the most fragile engine in the mk1 Octavia, but nothing to worry about really. Coil packs were (are still?) a common problem. The 150hp 1.8T chips up just as well as the 180hp VRS, mine was rolling roaded at 216hp and 240lbft, the same as similarly tuned VRSs. 4×4 is a boon, off the line acceleration is the same what ever the weather. It made quite an effective sleeper car. I bought min in 04 with 16k on the clock, sold it in 07 with 60k. The downside was mid 20mpg (its quite a heavy lump), and servicing is a bit more expensive. I wouldn't advise lowering it though, I had coilovers on mine and unless you buy the adjustable rear links, it scrubs rear tyres in 6k.

alexonabike

The 1.8T is the most fragile engine in the mk1 Octavia

Interesting info – so what do you reckon is the most reliable? Most of the derv ones I've been looking at are pre-PD. Are these better than the PD ones in terms of reliability?

EDIT: nice looking motor!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

£4k should still get you a Mondeo ST estate, all be it an earlier one, but still the 3 litre V6.

Older 2.5ltr V6 would certainly be well within budget.

A bit over £4k, but who knows whats possible with a bit of bartering 🙂

alexonabike

I'm 24 so a 3l V6 is a bit pricey on insurance (and fuel and tax), but nice car non the less.

I think my heart is set on an Octy TBH.

hora
    Free Member

1.9TDI 130? then- why not a Passat estate?

alexonabike

Passat is a good 2nd choice, it's just the Octy has more internal space for less external space.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have driven in anger the Mondeo ST220 (great in a straight line so long as you like torque steer and dont mind losing your fillings). Yes the ride is nothing short of horrendous over any distance and any bumpy surface.
    The 150bhp TDi Passat Estate is lovely, nice all round car but expensive/rare second hand with reasonable miles.
    The 2 Litre turbo Octavia VRS Estate is reliable, not the fastest nor is it a slouch. Handles well and will stay with an Impreza through the bendy bits (although I am reliably informed that the Fabia VRS is even better).
    The Fourmotion Passat with big engine and flappy paddle DSG box is okay if you like strange noises, handles okay but is not particularly inspiring.
    Focus ST (early ones in your budget) torque steer but makes a nice noise.
    New Focus ST-very nice indeed great fun car to drive if compromised on rear visibility/load space.
    Volvo S40 same engine as the ST, (So V40 I am assuming will be similar) great pulling engine and really good handling. Although a T5 V70 would be my Volvo of choice.
    Jaguar V6 4×4 Xtype Jaguar-disappointing build quality and lazy engine but grips well for a big old car.Very low cabin headroom even in the front.
    plus way to many others…
    If you want mpg+driving 'fun' and load space get yourself a TDi of the 150bhp mark (or a BMW 330d estate or 530d), driven properly they will not fail to impress, up to legal road speeds they are fast any most performance petrol engine cars and lets face it above that and you can go to prison for 10years if you kill someone (always worth thinking about before pressing the loud pedal).
    If you are not that bothered about mpg but want a generally good reliable fast load lugger then unless you can get an RS4 or RS6 I guess the Octavia VRS fits the bill.
    The undertray/front end thing is similar on all the Octavia/Audi A4/A6/Passat models, guess its a modern road design flaw.

monkeychild
    Free Member

1.8T Fragile? You are having a laugh aren't you?? There are guys who had their vrseseses chipped at 60K miles+ and they are still going strong in the 100Ks.

Spud

I have the 2.0D Octavia est as a work lease car. It's great, goes like stink and can get 45mpg on motorways. It isn't great in snow! We also have a Fabai vRS and it's quicker than the Octavia despite 40bhp less and we get 65mpg out of it. Service from our local dealer is great too. We wouldn't really go back to VW given the price difference for an equivalent spec.

el_boufador

I've got a 2.0T Mk2 Estate – had it for about 20 months. It's bloody great. I need a big boot for family bumf and for this reason I also considered a mondeo ST220. Didn't buy that as the CO2 / mpg are poor and you will have to pay a lot of tax. Also the octy is a bit smaller and easier to manouvre into our narrow drive.

Brilliant car – no regrets on buying it. It still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it and I look forward to making journeys in it! When I come to sell it (some time yet) I will definitely consider getting another.

richcc
    Free Member

I had a test drive of an octy and really liked it but timing wasn't right for me to buy it. I'd try to look around for one with the leather interior as the half grey/half black seats looked dreadful and didn't look like they'd wear well at all.

nonk
    Free Member

i had a 130 tdi one. top car. have you noticed just how close to the deck the vrs is? yknow you being a mountain biker an all.

alexonabike

have you noticed just how close to the deck the vrs is?

Errr… Yes. You are right too. TBH, I think I'm switching my hunt to a 1.8T (150) 4×4 estate – although they seem to be even rarer than the vRS. Sods law.

monkeychild
    Free Member

My old and current vRS had umpteen scrapes underneath courtesy of the ridiculously low front.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Octavia VRS estate – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.