Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Octalink BB advice please
  • carlos
    Free Member

Hi All,

My mate is looking at getting himself new frame in the correct size, he’s currently got a Spesh and is running an Octalink BB (?? not the external one).

What he is after is a frame which is suitable to transfer all his existing parts over.

So will an Octalink bb fit in to any frame as long as its suitable for a 68mm bb?

Do you have any suggestions for frames that would be compatible. Looking at spending as little as poss and would prob go for second hand off the bay or forum. I have told him to expect to need a new seatpost, clamp and front mech if he can’t find another suitable Spesh.

Cheers

Carl

tinsy
    Free Member

The mech should shim down/up for a different sized tube, but your right on the other bits.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Octalink BBs fit the same frames as external bbs so no issues.

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers Glasgowdan, I did think so but wasn’t 100% do they come in different lengths to suit different frames as well as 68/73mm width or doesn’t that matter, he would look to upgrade to an external at some point just not now

Mister-P
    Free Member

The shell size (68mm or 73mm) will need to be the same on his old and new frames.

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah I under stand the 68mm/73mm must be the same on new and old frames

He currently has a Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 118mm fitted.

Anyone know of any frames past and present that it will fit??

Cheers

mieszko
    Free Member

With the width of the BB it should fit a normal HT frame. I have a 68x113mm one on my Maxlight. I was always wondering if 5-10mm width difference (running 118-121mm BB instead of my 113) will affect the chain line in such way that gears won’t line up nicely.

Specialized has a 30.9 seatpost (will fit a Giant as well). He can use a shim if his new frame is a Trek (or similar sized seat tube) as it runs 31.6 seatposts and shim is cheaper than new seatpost. Smaller seat tubes would need a shim for the front mech.

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers mieszko.

Anymore info/help? anyone

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The different axle length is to fit the cranks, so as long as he buys a frame with a 68mm bb shell, the bottom bracket and cranks will be fine.

carlos
    Free Member

I thank you very much boriselbrus. 😀

I didn’t think it would be that simple.

All I need now is a list of frames with a 68mm BB shell to narrow down to a final hunt list.

I’ll start with Specialized 😉

any others?

Cheers

jonb
    Free Member

Most frames in my experience take a 68mm shell, 113-118mm axle.

I’ve used both sizes in the same frame with no ill effects.

They’re not expensive, I picked one for about £15 (somewhere on ebay, woollyhatshop, maybe). So it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t fit.

Make sure you can get the old one out, sometimes they can get stuck, you don’t want to find this out then have to wait to get hold of a new one.

PJay
    Free Member

As the others have said, it should fit any frame with a 68mm BB shell. Most Octalink chainsets should work with either a 113mm or 118mm axle (my Inbred needs a 118mm to get adequete clearance) but I think it’s a little short sighted to buy a frame to fit a cheap bottom bracket. Why not find a nice frame and, if it’s got a 73mm BB shell, pick up a 73mm Octalink BB; the Deore and LX ones are still around (although I’m not sure that they’re still in production) and I’ve seen them for around the £25 mark? He could then use his current chainset.

james
    Free Member

“30.9 seatpost (will fit a Giant as well).”
    My giant (XTC (’06) is 30.8mm, and yes there is a noticable difference in fit)

“use a shim if his new frame is a Trek (or similar sized seat tube) as it runs 31.6 seatposts”
    I don’t think you can get 30.9mm –> 31.6mm shims. Just too small a difference

“All I need now is a list of frames with a 68mm BB shell to narrow down to a final hunt list”
    Seems a bit of an odd choice to narrow down frames? A new BB wouldn’t set you back a lot

soobalias
    Free Member

the axle length only dictates what crankset you can use – my lx’s require 121mm

as above dont pick a frame based on a part worn BB you happen to have.

carlos
    Free Member

I hear what your all saying about restricting the frame choice to the BB, but it’s not my money and I’m just trying to help a friend find the cheapest option of getting a frame in the correct size for him. Maybe he’ll dig a little deeper into his pocket once presented with your opinions.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Octalink BB advice please’ is closed to new replies.