Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Obscure knowledge thread – edumacate STW!
  • RustySpanner

bruneep – Member

The bat is the only mammal that can fly. Flying squirrels can only glide.

Pffffftt…..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

You can’t tickle yourself

matt_outandabout

Pap or Cioch in Gaelic mean ‘nipple’ or ‘tit’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cbike
    Free Member

Tom Hanks voiced Woody in the films, His brother recorded the voices in the Woody Toys.

Tom himself told the story on the One Show.

johnners
    Free Member

it’s only* female honey bees that have barbed stings and rip their arse out after they’ve stung you

*probably

True, only female bees and wasps can sting you – the sting is a modified ovipositor.

kayak23

Dogs can’t look up.

crikey
    Free Member

Intensive Care costs about £2000 a day, hence insurance companies will fly a plane from Germany to England, then England to Thailand, then Thailand to England, then home to Germany rather than leave you in a Thai hospital ITU for a week.

crikey
    Free Member

Oh, and elephants don’t have a pleural space.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Dogs can look up, at least mine can. I thought it was pigs that couldn’t.

I also have an above average number of arms.

RustySpanner

kayak23 – Member

Dogs can’t look up.

Ahem…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Elephants are the only mammal that has four knees rather than two elbows and two knees.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

When a hippopotamus walks past your tent it feels exactly like an earthquake.

Giraffes are generally thought to be totally silent – but in very very rare circumstances make a bleating sound like a lamb.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dogs can’t look up… trivial facts with google

philconsequence
    Free Member

Take a football and wrap a piece of string around it once, so that your string equals the circumference of the ball. How long is it? About 70cm for a typical footie.
    Now add 100 cm to your string. If you make a circle round the ball with the new 170 cm long string, such that it hovers above the surface of the ball, exactly how high above the ball would the new circle be? Simple geometry says 15.9cm.

Now take a piece of string and wrap it round planet Earth one time. How long? A little over 40,000 km. Now add 1 meter to it as before with the football and make a new circle around the earth. How high would this new 40,000,000 +1 m of string be above the earth’s surface? A nanometer? A micrometer? No my friend, 15.9 cm just as before

Harry_the_Spider

Giraffes can’t cough.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Female pandas are only in heat 48 – 72 hours a year, and in that time there are only 12 – 48 hours during which they can actually conceive. In addition, male pandas have tiny todgers, meaning that they have to get their positioning exactly right in order to inseminate the female.

donsimon
    Free Member

Dogs can’t look up… trivial facts with google

What exactly does that mean?
    A dog can move its eyes from the horizontal to look up.
    A dog can move its head from the horizontal to look up.
    Unless I’m missing something, I’ve never understood this one. 😕
    Or are we talking about the obvious connection between a dog and a reference book?

camo16
    Free Member

My granddad worked out the chemical make-up of the plastic that’s now used on all pram/buggy wheels. He got a small bonus for it. I imagine the company he worked for (think it was BASF or Dunlop) did quite well.

Giraffes can look over really, really high walls.

Peyote
    Free Member

A duck’s quack does echo, just not very well.

Edukator
    Free Member

According to a York university before 2007: British youngsters were ranked 21st out of the then 25 EU countries for “child well-being”. Children were worse off in only Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania and Slovakia.

Only 60% of kids spoke to their parents several times a week and only 67% ate with their parents, the lowest in Europe.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

The first thing I did when I arrived at my desk this mornIng was check the string/football/world fact.

It’s true, seems ridiculous, but the numbers work, it’s now my life long ambition for it to come up in a pub quiz

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. Edukator – never entirely sure about studies that say stuff like that because it entirely depends on what the survey asks about.

German kids seemed to spend the entire winter months incarcerated indoors. That doesn’t sound good to me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

(shamelessly lifted from IMDB)

Former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was not originally hired to play Gunnery Sgt. Hartman but as a consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film. He performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching – despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman.

He is of course also the voice of the army men sergeant in Toy Story. 😀

Also, the highest tor on Bodmin Moor is called Brown Willy. F’ner f’ner.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Mel Blanc’s tombstone reads, “That’s all folks.”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Or are we talking about the obvious connection between a dog and a reference book?

yes. occam cuts again

willard

The back of the knee is the only place in the human body that does not have a latin name.

dan1980
    Free Member

I thought it was called the Poplital Fossa (or something like that?)

TiRed

inspired this

Owen Finlay Maclaren invented the buggy. Before that he invented the Spitfire undercarriage.

Edukator
    Free Member

“German kids seemed to spend the entire winter months incarcerated indoors.”

Are British ones shut outside in the rain, snow and dark then? That could explain the survey results.

In the German school I do the exchange with the kids were outside at break times even when it was minus lots. Most walked/biked to school. The kids in the tri club came out running in the dark at -10°C

mrlugz
    Free Member

While balancing an egg on her head and a spoon on her nose, Adriana Yugovich recited the alphabet backward in 2.4 seconds.

Shamefully robbed from the interwebs.

The football/world/string one was awesome.

Drac

The part at the ‘back’ of the knee is called popliteal fossa, some people believe it doesn’t have a name.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bob Holness didn’t play sax on Baker Street

Ronald Ross (aka Ronaldo of the Glens) has scored more goals than any other Scotsman

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The part at the ‘back’ of the knee is called popliteal fossa, some people believe it doesn’t have a name.

yes, and its latin name is fossa poplitea

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you held down the trigger in a fully armed Mk1a Spitfire, you’d run out of ammunition within twelve seconds.

Drac

yes, and its latin name is fossa poplitea

😯

richmtb

Thomas Midgely the man who developed ethyl lead as an additive to petrol was working one day on a cheap reliable refrigerant and developed CFC’s

So leaded petrol and CFC’s quite a legacy!

Harry_the_Spider

The term “The whole nine yards” comes from the length of the bullet belts in the guns of US Navy fighter planes from WW2.

Going “The whole nine yards” in combat literally meant giving it everything you’d got.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The hydra (freshwater invertebrate rather than snakey headed monster) is (almost certainly) biologically immortal as it’s cells appear not to senesce (age) and it undergoes morphallaxis (tissue regeneration) when injured.
    Unfortunately for such a long lived creature, it’s limited sensory abilities reduce its entire experience of the universe to {glutathione/not glutathione} which whilst enabling it to feed effectively means it writes rather poor poetry……

CaptJon
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Florence Nightingale invented the pie chart.

No she didn’t. She developed and popularised the polar area chart which was first used by André-Michel Guerry.

camo16
    Free Member

Shinola – as in ‘he don’t know sh•t from shinola – was an American brand of waxy shoe polish.

A Fry’s Chocolate Cream now costs 75p in Liverpool. Worth every penny though!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Obscure knowledge thread – edumacate STW!’ is closed to new replies.