Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OBDII app for android?
  • Brainflex

Hi all, do any of you use a Bluetooth OBDII code reader? what app do you recommend for reading codes on an android phone?
    Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scanmaster, never tried any others but it works for our Fords and a £2.50 adapter off eBay.

tymbian
    Free Member

What is this devilry?
    An adapter that plugs into the OBD connector in the car?

oink1
    Free Member

Yes. Bluefang for Android & wireless for iOS I use Dash Command on iOS. I believe theres a Droid version.

eskay

I use the torque app on android, works really well. It will also data log whilst you are driving which can be useful to troubleshoot intermittent problems

alanl
    Free Member

Yes. Bluefang for Android & wireless for iOS I use Dash Command on iOS. I believe theres a Droid version.

Could you translate that into English please?
    I’m after a Code Reader, and the cheapest seem to be the plain cables from the OBD port to a USB, then you connect it to the computer/phone, and run the supplied software. Something like this:
    http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/obdlink-sx-20-usb-scan-tool-73-p.html

Is there any reason to go Bluetooth, or a cheaper way (£2.50 adaptor above?)

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I bought a ELM327 Wifi Dongle from Ebay and use the Torque app.

Alphabet

Does anyone know if these readers will allow me to run a dpf regen on my car?

I recently broke down and the mechanic plugged in his pricey looking Snap-On Tools touch-pad thing and did this do get it running again. Rather than have it happen again I’d like to be able to do it for myself. I know the car should do this itself once in a while but as it’s an automatic I find keeping the revs up on the motorway is difficult unless I remember to put it into manual mode.

cp

Torque pro here, well worth the couple of quid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

An adapter that plugs into the OBD connector in the car?

Is there any reason to go Bluetooth, or a cheaper way (£2.50 adaptor above?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262612530704

I recently broke down and the mechanic plugged in his pricey looking Snap-On Tools touch-pad thing and did this do get it running again. Rather than have it happen again I’d like to be able to do it for myself. I know the car should do this itself once in a while but as it’s an automatic I find keeping the revs up on the motorway is difficult unless I remember to put it into manual mode.

No idea, but most apps and OBD-II connectors come with a warning that they don’t work on diesels. I’m not sure you could manually trigger the regen even if there was a button to do it, the engine would still have to be in the right rev range and throttle position?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Torque Pro App

El cheapo bluetooth widget from ebay.

Works a treat for the undemanding task of reading an error code and clearing it. Haven’t tried any fancy stuff with it.

Alphabet

No idea, but most apps and OBD-II connectors come with a warning that they don’t work on diesels. I’m not sure you could manually trigger the regen even if there was a button to do it, the engine would still have to be in the right rev range and throttle position?

When the mechanic did it the car did rev loudly for about an hour. It took about 20 minutes before the percentage on his screen showed that it had started the regen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on the car

although OBD2 is supposed to be a “standard” like all things each company has their own protocol.

Some code reader software interacts and gives more accurate info with certain cars than others.

Some especially the cheaper ones will give you the wild goose chase round the car changing the wrong bits.

also the reader apps are largely passive usually at best they can reset the error codes but not much more.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OBDII app for android?’ is closed to new replies.