Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Oakleys Transitions Lenses – Thoughts
  • paul123
    Free Member

Looking to get some racing jackets with a transitions photochromic lense and just wanted to get some views on them.

Interested to hear mostly what they’d be like going from v. bright into a section of dark woods, i.e. will they react quickly enough and do they go totally clear to enable you to ride at night?

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the Clear Black Iridiums and find them great, they just work. I’ve never particularly thought about how good they are in x light conditions, just find that I can see.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Have the clear black iridiums on radar locks, same as above. Just don’t notice them (they’re that good). I set off on a long ride a few weeks ago in the dark, wore them all day until darkness again and they were never once on my mind.

The-Beard

As above really, wear mine from dawn to dusk, even good for night riding. not the best when it gets really hot and sunny, but then I live in Scotland and that is very unlikely to happen…

clubber
    Free Member

I have clear-black lenses.

They don’t go massively dark but they are dark enough (IMO) and as such, I’ve never found an issue going into trees suddenly. If I was going on a ride that I could guarantee was going to be really properly bright, I’d still probably use other glasses but I’ve ridden in blazing sun in Turkey with them without finding them a problem.

They go clear enough (there’s a VERY slight tint to them still) to use at night – I always do.

I rarely wear any other glasses for cycling now.

I’ve had the VR50 transitions too – they go darker but also don’t go as clear so I think that the clear-black are better overall.

Clear-black on a sunny day in N.Ireland

Clear-black on a very sunny day in Turkey

VR50 on a very sunny day in Greece

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a pair of the sadly short lived Persimmon to Black Iridium lenses in Flak Jacket XLJs. Very impressed, in almost all lights. Mrs CFH skis in them sometimes as well, which considering the light in Serre Che is testament to how good they are in the bright stuff!

bigG
    Free Member

I have prescription Oakley crosslinks with clear to black transition lenses that I wear as my everyday specs. They go pretty much clear to wear in the office and then plenty dark enough for outside in bright sunshine.

As other people have said they’re so good that they just work. No fuss.

The only issue I have is if I walk into the office and it’s been bright outside. I look a bit Roy Orbison while my glasses adjust back to clear from dark. It only takes a couple of mins though.

G

paul123
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. looking on the oakley website it only gives you a choice of G40 photochromic lense so not sure how clear this goes.

Thanks again

pushbikerider
    Free Member

The G40 is a darker rose/brown tint which still has a light tint when not activated.
    The clear/black iridium photochromic are the ones to hunt for, it’s a very impressive lens…

damo2576
    Free Member

Interesting, I’m looking for a lens for my Radars for leaving the house in sun and riding through to dusk time (not dark).
    I was thinking the transition but seems clear-black iridium might do it?
    Any other ideas?

clubber
    Free Member

clear-black is a ‘transition’ lense. Transition if just the name for the photochromic ones that go lighter/darker.

BillOddie

The Oakley transitions are different to the transition lenses they can do for their prescription lenses if it makes any difference….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Oakleys Transitions Lenses – Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.