Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oakley Hydrophobic
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone using these? Charlie from yesterday's ride had some and after the numourous water splashes we negotiated, the bugger could still see! I was impressed.
    Never before been tempted to spend more than about £20 on riding glasses (I'll only sit on em, drop em, or lose em), but these look worth it.
    Who does Oakley cheapest?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rain x does the same thing – I use it on my bolle safety glasses

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes it works well.

Steptoes are pretty cheap.

DezB
    Free Member

Rain x does the same thing – I use it on my bolle safety glasses

I like that idea! I've got some sitting in my garage. Will give it a try and send you a virtual pint if you save me £100.. 🙂

nicko74

would rain x damage any lens coatings? Not sure that mine have one (Spesh Chicane photochromatic), but wouldn't want to damage them!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Possibly- so I would only use it on cheapo ones or check a tiny area on the side of the lens first,

Having said that I have never come across any issues and I have used it on plain glass lenses, coated plastic lenses and motorcycle visors

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Rain X only seems to start working on car windscreens when you exceed 55 / 60mph. Until then it just causes the water to bead up rather than fly off.

Never tried it on glasses lenses but I'd be a little sceptical about the air flow over the lenses being high enough to clear the beaded droplets. It may make a difference with the glasses lenses being nearly vertical though, allowing it to run off??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

andy – all I can say is it does work – yes it tends to bead rather than fly off but if you shake your head it clears if it doesn't on its own but usually its not needed. Helps prevent misting as well

I have used it for years. It even helps with clearing mud. Get a big splat of mud on the glasses – a quick rinse with water and shake them and its clear again

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

wax furniture polish works, but it could also wreck the lens coating. Oakley have tested their coatings and they work. end of subject

DezB
    Free Member

The Oakley definitely works and takes no faffing. I still can't bring myself to spend £100 on shades that I'll no doubt drop the first time I use them.
    Rain-X on my £5 Lidl specials has gotta be worth a try.

flamejob
    Free Member

There is a kit (which I have) that Oakley sell…

… it seems like a bit of a waste of time/money if you ask me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do it Dez and leave the tarts to waste £££££

AndyPaice
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

andy – all I can say is it does work – yes it tends to bead rather than fly off but if you shake your head it clears if it doesn't on its own but usually its not needed. Helps prevent misting as well

I have used it for years. It even helps with clearing mud. Get a big splat of mud on the glasses – a quick rinse with water and shake them and its clear again

May give it a try then, I'm using up a stock of safety glasses from various site jobs so this could be useful.

DezB
    Free Member

Rain-X works! Horrible drizzle all the way home and shades stayed clear. Apart from a few drops, which when wiped away, lens was clear again.
    Excellent.

Dougal
    Free Member

Oakley coating works really well in my experience, even sweat just rolls off.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Yeh…it works, have the tangents at the mo, do some looking about on the bay, got mine for £53 with postage, in the oakley shop they are £180…

ya never know !!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Hydrophobic’ is closed to new replies.