• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Oakley Crosslink problems?
  • davosaurusrex

Having just had my eyes tested and being told that even if I have them lasered I’ll need reading glasses within a few years anyway decided I can’t be arsed with that. Have been thinking about some prescription photochromatics for a while, whilst I think Oakleys are generally overpriced the Crosslink Trubridge model look ideal for my busted nose. A pair of glasses I can get for riding, driving and just about get away with wearing in the office when I cycle in appeals. However, bit of Googling found this;

DO NOT purchase the Oakley Crosslink prescription glasses, Oakley does not warranty them and replacement parts cost way…

Posted by Mike Spitler on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Anyone else come across this? With all the options a a pair of these will be north of £200 so don’t want to buy a dud!

Oh, and is brown base tint best for night riding? Want them to go clear as possible and not worried about the dark end of the scale

strawdog
    Free Member

yes I’ve had a pair for a few years, just had them reglazed for cycling as a spare pair. I have replaced the rubber “socks” twice on them – they seem to perish after about a years wear.

the replacement arms are a rip off but you can buy the socks separately for (relatively) cheaper price – think they were under a tenner from vision express

funkmasterp

I had pair of the crosslink switch, the ones where you can change the lenses. Found these great for riding. The nose bit broke after about 18 months. I took them back to the shop and rather than fix, Oakley gave me new frames. Great glasses, but quite pricey

scotroutes

The grey Transitions go clearest. IIRC they allow 93% of light through. I don’t think even a clear lens allows 100%.

chomp
    Free Member

Got a pair of these and have to say they’re pretty crap quality wise to other prescription oakleys I’ve had.

relegated them to spares in the car after about 6 months as just felt cheap and nasty (as do a lot of oakleys these days it seems)

Not worth the money if you ask me

davosaurusrex

Useful info, thanks all. Any other suggestions? Doesn’t seem to be much choice for frames you can have prescription lenses put into, even less for ones that don’t look ridiculous

davosaurusrex

If they’re that cheap and nasty maybe it’s better to get some Jokely ones off Ebay? Lenses will still be pricey though and obviously I’ll die from lack of moral fibre etc.

michaelbowden

Cilary Blue for the lenses.

davosaurusrex

Was going to be my next question, Ciliary Blue, RX Sport or anyone else for the lenses

oomidamon

My everyday glasses are a pair of Crosslinks, I’ve worn them for about 18 months with no issues whatsoever. They fit me well and don’t slip / move around like my previous Oakleys did.

redmex
    Free Member

Fist pair i bought from vision express big mistake added insurance brought them to just under £300 simple prescription -2 nothing else and they just fell apart but i like them when they are new. Vision express insurance they still want 25% excess never told me when i took it out so to replace an arm or anything could be expensive
    Bought another pair online £109.00 lens included delivered just goes to show how much vision express are making

redmex
    Free Member

Fist pair i bought from vision express big mistake added insurance brought them to just under £300 simple prescription -2 nothing else and they just fell apart but i like them when they are new. Vision express insurance they still want 25% excess never told me when i took it out so to replace an arm or anything could be expensive
    Bought another pair online £109.00 lens included delivered just goes to show how much vision express are making

grim168
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these as a prescription cycling pair (for road us). Tried some on and they are quite small lenses. Are they not a bit draughty?

davosaurusrex

That reminds me they do two different sizes, need to try on I guess although that seems easier said than done, have to phone a few dealers. Don’t want anyone to order them in specially when you can find them at 30-50% discount online

scotroutes

I use Oakley Half Jackets with Transition XLJ lenses for road and off-road cycling.

Simon

I got a pair of Crosslink Pitch glasses a few months ago for occasional use when I’m not using contacts. They cost me just over 100 quid, clear lenses, -2 prescription.
    Quality seems fine. They’re ok for occasional riding, they stay put but lenses are small so coverage isn’t great.

martinb
    Free Member

Crosslink from Ebay, and try ASDA for lenses, make sure you speak to the proper optician, especially if you need varifocals or anything complex.

I got some of their own frames with photochromic varifocals , thin lenses for £80, very happy, wished I’d put them in some crosslinks.

They will glaze frames you take in for £40. I’m -7.0

It sounds unlikely, but I’m very happy.

ads678

I’m wearing crosslinks right now!

They’ve been great for the last 2 years, very comfy and look good imo. I’m an Oakley fanboy though….
    I got mine from extreme eyewear with non Oakley lenses for day to day wear. RX sports always look decent as well though.
    Would buy again.

TheGingerOne

I now have 2 pairs of Crosslink glasses. The first pair I had for about 3 years. Yes, the earsocks did turn festy and I bought replacement arms for.
    I have subsequently had these re-glazed with transition lenses from cilaryblue and which I now use as my cycling glasses. I have no issues with the size/shape of the lens for riding in and they fit okay with Kask helmets which seem fairly known for having issues with fit when accompanied with glasses.
    I also bought a new pair with regular lenses as my day to day full time glasses. The instructions do now include a mention that the rubber arms and nose should be washed in warm soapy water every few weeks in order to stop them falling apart. My understanding is that it is caused by a reaction with the oils in your hair, so if you have particularly oily / greasy hair, then you will more than likely need to wash them frequently.
    I was rather disappointed with this and Oakley’s lack of customer service with regard to fixing the issue or providing replacement arms as I do consider it a defect, but ultimately I like the fit and look of the glasses and am willing to look after \ replace them as needs be. Given I wear glasses 24/7, I do get good value out of them.
    As mentioned elsewhere, there are a couple of sizes and my new ones are the larger size, which I missed when ordering and wish they weren’t, so it is worth trying some in order to gauge which size you prefer.

davosaurusrex

All good stuff thanks. 240 all in from rx sport which I think will work out a bit cheaper than ciliary blue. Hmmmm, lot of dosh but I’m tired of contacts for riding, they’re a fair way off my prescription too

CountZero

All good stuff thanks. 240 all in from rx sport which I think will work out a bit cheaper than ciliary blue. Hmmmm, lot of dosh but I’m tired of contacts for riding, they’re a fair way off my prescription too

Not that bad a price, really: I had a pair of Rayban Lennon’s reglazed with Shamir multipoint varifocal lenses, with DriveWear photoreactive and multilayer AR coating, cost for the lenses was £260.
    My eyesight now has reached the point where it’s monovision; I really only need one eye corrected, so I can get away with single-vision lenses for everyday use, that cost peanuts from Specsavers!
    The Shamir lenses lasted me nearly six years, though.

davosaurusrex

Just thought I’d update this – don’t want to drop £240 on a pair of glasses that don’t fit so phoned RX to see if I could buy the frames first and return if they’re no good or send them back for glazing as part of the same price. Turns out they will send out up to 3 products to try for £5 inc return postage. Got the 53 and 55 Crosslinks coming next week, pretty good service so far I’d say.

ads678

Yeah lots of online opticians do that, think they even knock the fiver off the end price if you buy.

davosaurusrex

Well the Oakleys really didn’t fit that well as riding glasses, quality seemed pretty crap too to be honest. Also got some trial Bolle Ballers sent from RX which aren’t the greatest looking glasses in the world but not too bad, perfect fit on me and as a bonus are EN166 safety glass rated. I work in construction so should be able to put them through expenses as I need some for work anyway, yoink!
    Being glazed at the moment with grey photochromics with anti scratch and dazzle and all that shizzle for £180 so significantly cheaper than Oakleys too

ppolski
    Free Member

Got my prescription crosslink pitch from designer glasses boutique.com
    Might be worth a look and their own re glaze service seems nicer than the stuff I’ve had from ciliary blue…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i cant be bothered to read all the comments, but that initial post you link to is a joke.

i’be been wearing a pair for 2 years, all day every day, i’m about ready for new ones, but even so i will just get this old pair reglazed as spares. they are typical oakleys, well made and well designed. i definitely recommend them.

i got mine from rxsport.co.uk, even with my strong prescription and super thin lens they are 200quid. think i paid about 170 but brexit and all that i guess.

dont over think it, they are good.

skids
    Free Member

I have had frames sent out before from RX, they are a ddecent company, selectspecs are good too. I just ordered oakley HYperlink from RX with Transitions xtractive for £105, pretty cheap for those

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Crosslink problems?’ is closed to new replies.