Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Oak / Vaneer Stair Tread Kits
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Been looking at these on line and in B&Q – has anyone used these before, they almost look to easy, and do they look any good once done.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not used the veneer kit as imo they looked poor quality. I went with actual oak floor , against all advice on here. Imo its turned out absolutely spot on and has been down for best part of 2 years now.

What i started with

Fitted spacers the depth of the stair lips

Clad the risers in 18mm oak flooring cut to size. Keeping the top edge level with the existing tread as the lower edge would be hidden by the new tread. Used finishing nails at the bottom edge below where the new tread would be and used no more nails/sticks like shit at the top.

Put the treads on at 90 degrees to the risers ensuing the front piece was one piece for each stair which i routed a 1/4 round on top and bottom front faces. Using no more nails for sticking all down.

Lots of mitre work to get round the corner.

End result is it is much more solid feeling than it ever was and all the creaks are gone.

My issue with the cladding was it was so thin i reckoned it would just add to the creaking rather than solve it .

I spent alot of time cutting wood and lining it up , the actual laying wasnt difficult or time consuming – was a weekend from start to finish inc doing the upstairs hall floor which is about 3m x 1 and used up a heap of my waste from the stairs , didnt even up wasting that much. Cost about 300 quid in wood from travis perkins.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hmm, never understood exactly what it was you had done before. That looks quite achievable by my usual lazy standards.

One thing though, why not nail the risers at the tongue so they would be covered when they slot together? Same as you would do with parquet or floorboards.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I possibly did, i was going by memory. I couldnt for the life of me remember how i did it at the time, i just assumed i went with the no more nails….i did use alot of it that weekend….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Oak / Vaneer Stair Tread Kits’ is closed to new replies.