Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • oak flooring – recommendations
  • petrieboy

I’m looking to do the flooring in our hall, living room, dining room and kitchen in the new year. Approx 90 sq/m.

In the last house we had 8″ wide full plank semi rustic engineered oak, supplied unfinished then treated with Osmo PolyX after recommendations on here. We’ve got little boys and a massive dog so the floors really take a beating and I was really pressed with how the floor stood up to abuse. Even when the dog puked on it in the night leaving a stain, a quick rub with a scotch pad and a re finish and it was as good as new.

I came across this today and whilst its a lot less than i expected to pay (i guess because its a bit thin) its pre finished in Osmo UV. but im not sure thats quite the same stuff? i certainly cant find it listed on the osmo website

im rambling a bit – the questions are: –

1. can anyone recomend suppliers i should be talking to or products i should be looking at?
    2. will a pre finished board live up to my experience of having the finish applied after fitting?
    3. any alternatives i should be considering?
    4. any fitters on here who cover the herts/cambs border area?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can give a more detailed answer later/tomorrow – but I’d avoid that stuff. Look at the lengths – 300-1200mm so there will be loads of short lengths. Each pack might have one 1200mm, and the rest shorties. Meaning you get a very busy floor. 12mm is no thickness really – you should be looking at 15mm minimum going up to 18 (structural) and 21/22mm. There’s plenty out there and but if it’s that cheap, then, there’s going to be something wrong with it. On-site oil in with OS h/wax oil will give you a thicker stronger coating.

Few questions:

What’s your sub-floor?
    How are various levels between rooms? All the same or different?

hanchurch
    Free Member

We are currently thinking about bamboo flooring, sounds strange but looks good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/4Trade-Solid-Natural-Oak-Lacquered-Flooring-FSC%C2%AE-125x18mm-1-2m%C2%B2/p/171815

got that in my living room , stairs and upstairs hall.

been in the living room for 5 years – quite soft to begin with but has hardened up well only picking out a couple of dents in the early days.

cheap enough – but depends what your looking for . not too many short pieces as per darcys issue with the link you put up , id agree 12mm is a bit thin – will feel flexy underfoot ime – like floated cheap laminate can

cinnamon_girl

Pics of the massive dog please. 🙂

petrieboy

DD, yeah I’ll not be touching that stuff. Firm believer in never underspending on stuff that matters.

It’s an early 90’s house so levels are fine. Sub floor is chip board and it’s very solid.

Hanchurch – previous owner put in really cheap and nasty bamboo effect laminate. It’s horrific! I never realised you could get real stuff. Isn’t bamboo hollow??

Edit – I’m sure yours is lovely tho! It’s the imitation in mine that’s offensive!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘oak flooring – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.