• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by StuE.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • N/W chainring with non clutch mech
  • StuE
    Free Member

Anyone run this? if so does it work ok

Yak

Mrs Yak does. She tried without a front guide on a usual xc ride and the chain didn’t fall off. But as I had a spare front top guide to hand, I put it on anyway to avoid any mid-race chain faff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I asked before, consensus was yes it does.

honourablegeorge

You’re 75% of the way there

Junkyard
    Free Member

I use one and it is fine
    I do have a china guide but whether I need it or not I dont know
    Keep meaning to try it without one but the whole point is the NW is meant to catch the chain so it should work without one

stevied
    Free Member

Couple of mates I ride with run them and have no problems. Had the occasional drop on really rough stuff but 95% of the time they are fine.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah have got a RF NW on a brutal 9sp HT with non-clutch 4 year old XT mech it works fine

paladin

I do on my 456. Plan was that when the non clutch mech needed replaced, I’d replace it with a clutch mech. Chain has dropped a few times, maybe once every 50 miles off road

cultsdave
    Free Member

If I forget to put the clutch on the chain falls off at the first sign of a bump. I think it would be ok with a hardtail as there is less chain elongation and movement.

cokie

Yup, ran a N/W with an old medium XT mech for a while. Absolutely no issues. II would say that I tackled some pretty rocky and rooty stuff on that HT.

StuE
    Free Member

Cheers guys will get one bought and give it a go

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘N/W chainring with non clutch mech’ is closed to new replies.