• This topic has 107 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Nurseries- a RANT
  • hora
    Free Member

‘hello, yes your son isn’t himself and has been crying’.

AND? WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO? LEAVE WORK BECAUSE MY SON ISN’T FEELING HIMSELF? WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR? IS IT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

– You dont have enough staff as they are all skiving/phoning in sick so you need to trim some numbers?
    – You call mrshora as you know you’ll appeal to her Mothers instinct rather than me who will coldly answer the phone?
    – Your paid to look after him. Not look after him when hes chirpy and happy- your job is to care for someones child not as a hobby.

What next? Your son isn’t cute today, could you take him away as you obviously have a very understanding job/boss who wont mind you leaving ALL THE TIME.

Thankfully I rang them back and said ‘and’? With a wibble on the end. FFS.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sounds about right.

geoffj

Split a nail Hora?

wwaswas

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO? LEAVE WORK BECAUSE MY SON ISN’T FEELING HIMSELF?

yep.

we always went and got ours if the nursery said they weren’t well – we trusted their judgment and they never called us unless the child was ill.

you’re not paying nurses and how would you feel if your kid got ill ‘cos some selfish fecker couldn’t be arsed to to come and get their kid?

hora
    Free Member

wwaswas its normally too late by the point (i.e. cross contamination). Hes generally been the last in his room to pick up what the others have just had.

djglover
    Free Member

We’ve had to take loads of time off work and it is irritating, but they get ill and perhaps they get upset that their parents see fit to dump them into the hands of underpaid teenagers when all they want is their mummy.

hora
    Free Member

into the hands of underpaid teenagers

They don’t have to do the job and minimum wage is paid nowadays.

Ontop of this the nursery gets paid regardless don’t they? If there was a scheme where you only paid by the hour I bet the amount of calls to parents would drop….

yossarian
    Free Member

Agree with wwaswas.

Nursery staff see many, many more kids than you or I ever will. If they have a concern about a child, be it a raised temp or rash or just acting unusually they will let you know.

Hora, your nursery are not surrogate parents. Just because you pay them it doesn’t mean that you are absolved of responsibility when you are at work.

Dtfu

And yes you will be leaving early/coming in late and generally not working your normal hours for quite a while now. I’m sure your boss although pissed will get over it.

djglover
    Free Member

If you don’t like it give up work and look after him full time..?

yossarian
    Free Member

At home with hora

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Hora, your nursery are not surrogate parents. Just because you pay them it doesn’t mean that you are absolved of responsibility when you are at work.

+1

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im sure you’ll console yourself with the fact that you made the right decision when you’re sat in A&E with a fitting child Hora.
    Perhaps you’d rather they keep these things to themselves and wait until the child collapsed?
    I’d rather know my son was unwell at the time than pick him up later and notice he was ill.

hora
    Free Member

Yee gads. I’ve been swamped by bloody metrosexuals 😆

We’ve sat in A&E four times now because of his Mum being over-concerned.

‘Fitting child’? Isn’t that over-reacting? When you ride your bike are you worried about your legs falling off?

lister

You get a call like that and you leave work and go and care for your child.

Simple.

lister

Oh yeah, and you clearly need to change nurseries if you have such a low opinion of the people you pay to care for your child.

yossarian
    Free Member

‘Fitting child’? Isn’t that over-reacting? When you ride your bike are you worried about your legs falling off?

My eldest had a serious febrile convulsion at 6 months. I got there ‘extremely rapidly’.

clubber
    Free Member

crispedwheel – Member

+1

+1 (or that +2?)

Having kids means lots of inconvenience and generally having to put them before your own problems which includes having to sometimes leave work at times that are really inconvenient/make you look unprofessional/cause other problems.

If you go an it turns out that your various accusations are true (which I doubt) then you should be looking for a different nursery really, shouldn’t you 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be fair, the nursery person said “Your son isn’t himself…”

I think that’s fairly serious…was he replaced sometime after you dropped him off? I’d do some fairly strenuous identity checks on him before you pick him up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Here’s an idea. Pop up to the nursery, see the child and make your own decision?

Sandwich

Welcome to parenthood. Enjoy. They still cause lots of worry at 21 and sometimes they will even listen to reason!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You’re child’s well being is more important than ranting on the internet, in fact more important than anything.

Off to the nursery with you.

convert

A mother in my team got a call from the nursery like that last week. She picked him up and brought him back to the dept office. He sat and looked a bit sad for 5 mins, someone offered him a biscuit, then a glass of squash. Had a scrawl on a book then got bored. An hour later she took him back as he was going mental and getting under everyone’s feet.

She must get a call from the nursery once every 2 weeks along those lines. As mobiles don’t work in the building and we very rarely work in the room where the landline phone is they can only leave a message. When she gets the message an hour or 2 later invariably which ever one was “ill” (twins) is ok again.

I guess it depends on the nursery but some do seem to like to off load at the first sign of trouble.

maxray
    Free Member

+whatever it’s at now.

Surely you are not so bored of your kid already that you are finding them an inconvenience?! FS a child… offers? 😉

Seriously though the nursery (as has been said) is not there to be a surrogate parent. If they are not well then you get a call and you or your other half deals with it, thats what being a parent is all about.

hora
    Free Member

but some do seem to like to off load at the first sign of trouble

This.
    It is on the list to visit the nursery up the road. I have a number of concerns about this nursery which we’ve discussed. We chose this particular nursery as two friends recommended from their experience. Strangely its also the cheapest in the area.

lister

So your rant isn’t about how they treat your potentially ill child, but the fact you made a really bad choice and now want to blame someone else for the hassle?

Amos
    Free Member

Sorry hora, but I would drop everything for my nipper! But I would agree go to nursery and make your own mind up rather than sitting there ranting on STW

TimP
    Free Member

My daughter keeps leaving half chewed food on my left shoulder when I pick her up and snot on my legs when she grabs me. Sadly this and collecting her from nursery a lot due to high temperatures/not being her usual self are a part of parenthood…turned out the last one was conjunctivitis and a chest infection and the antibiotics lead to thrush in her mouth so me and MrsP were off for the best part of a week.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am embarrassed for you posting this
    My kids come first always
    Ah well at least you have the time to moan on the internet whilst at your critical job that you cannot possible leave to check on his welfare 🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

you must be a bad father, look at how many people have said so despite not knowing any more about the situation and the nursery than could be suggested in a rant.

i bet your kids grow up to be criminals or something now 😯

lister

TBH though phil, he’s hardly coming across as Parent of the Year at the moment, is he?

br
    Free Member

We use to get this, and they’d ring the other half too.

A fair bit of crying ‘wolf’ seems to go on, on both sides I may add.

convert

As an aside – would the drop everythingers expect to make the time up/ take unpaid leave/ use holiday time or expect employer to wave it? If wave it how many wave its are taking the piss in a month?

I ask as head of department in a school. When a teacher has to drop everything I/the school now has 30 nippers without supervision to sort. Sometimes colleagues can hold the fort, at others a supply has to be brought in at the last minute (£30 ph+ travel). Some folks seems more lucky and have fewer required “drop everythings” than others.

wwaswas

despite not knowing any more about the situation and the nursery than could be suggested in a rant

To be fair, this isn’t hora’s first post on stw and regardless of what’s wrong if the nursery phones and says ‘come and get your baby’ you argue afterwards, not before you’ve got him.

philconsequence
    Free Member

TBH though phil, he’s hardly coming across as Parent of the Year at the moment, is he?

in the context of the rant alone… no he’s not coming across as the msot caring father, but i dont know the man, the situation or what kinda day he’s having to lead him into the rant… so i’m not going to judge 🙂

To be fair, this isn’t hora’s first post on stw and regardless of what’s wrong if the nursery phones and says ‘come and get your baby’ you argue afterwards, not before you’ve got him.

i’d like to think i’d do the same, but having worked in a nursery whilst training as a nurse i’m aware that you get good nurseries and bad ones, there are ones that will offload kids at any opportunity, shame really cos there’s usually a couple of excellent staff members but management makes the decisions and management tends to be away from the shop floor and more concerned with moneyz

to be honest guys i jsut dont like judging people until i’ve met them, then i’ll judge them all i like 😆

hora
    Free Member

you must be a bad father, look at how many people have said so despite not knowing any more about the situation and the nursery than could be suggested in a rant.

i bet your kids grow up to be criminals or something now

Yeah I know. My Father died last Thursday and my immediate thought was to ring his sister (estranged from him) to make sure she was ok and my Mother (also estranged from him).

The fact that he embodied all that was wrong in parenting and more didn’t stop me from forgiving him either.

Back ontopic:
    A few seasoned parents have told me first time parents over-worry whereas when you are on your 2nd/third you tend to chill abit more (UNLESS you’ve had a scare etc of course). That is different. Peace folks.

I’ll do things my way. 8)

yossarian
    Free Member

I ask as head of department in a school. When a teacher has to drop everything I/the school now has 30 nippers without supervision to sort. Sometimes colleagues can hold the fort, at others a supply has to be brought in at the last minute (£30 ph+ travel). Some folks seems more lucky and have fewer required “drop everythings” than others.

Kids are all different, as are their needs, as are their parents. I imagine you already know this given that you work in education.

This issue of time off at short notice for kid related shizzle is no different to covering sick leave. Identify where the likely problems are going to be and ensure you’ve got the appropriate emergency cover in place.

It’s forseeable and only down to the management if there’s no cover.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m with H on this, they are paid to deal with it. I’d ask if mine were sick or injured and if not I’d let the nursery/school get on with it.

Kids are way too mollycoddled these days.

wwaswas

Kids are way too mollycoddled these days.

although, ironically, when I was growing up pretty much everyone’s Mum stayed at home and looked after them – there were very few nurseries – maybe the odd one or two for ‘pre-school’ but none goign down to 3 months old.

So, on the whole a kid at nursery is less mollycoddled than it’s parents probably were.

hora
    Free Member

Both my parents worked. Although wrong I spent most of every day out.

We used to live on a road called Woodhouse Hill in Fartown and I often road my Strika down this road at speed. Once I decided to ride off to Brighouse and back knocking on doors to rehydrate.

I imagine I’d have been 6 back then.

wwaswas

how old is your son hora?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Nurseries- a RANT’ is closed to new replies.