Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Numpty SS questions
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Here goes 😳

Am I right in saying that if I wanted to give SS a try all I need to change initially is the cassette/rear mech for a SS kit and chain tensioner and to fit a new chain? Can I leave the cranks alone other than removing the existing rings and fitting a new SS chainring?

MrSparkle

If you want to just give it a try you don’t have to remove all the chainrings.

jonathan
    Free Member

Yes*

Yes**

*You might get way with your existing chain (depending on cog/ring/tensioner)

** You might need shorter chain ring bolts (or some washers to pad them out)

kinda666
    Free Member

Take off the front mech, or atleast remove the shifters, cuz you will go for them if they are still there!

clubber
    Free Member

If you want to try it, you can just not change gear on your current bike – I know it sounds silly but that’ll give you an idea what it’s like.

If you do the conversion then you need a SS sprocket (a single sprocket from a cassette tends to lose the chain) and spacers plus tensioner and ideally new chain.

You can keep your existing chainset though most remove the granny and big rings and use narrow chainring bolts (since there’s only one chainring).

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I just did a few rides without changing gear – befor I did anything to the bike – found a nice ratio (32/16) and stuck with that

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you want to try it, you can just not change gear on your current bike – I know it sounds silly but that’ll give you an idea what it’s like.

Silly but mind numbingly simple and correct I guess 😀

OK, that all sounds great. Now a mate has a (2-3 year old) hybrid bike that’s gathering dust, is there any particular reason why he couldn’t SS that (prob with more suitable wheels/tyres)?

Olly
    Free Member

you can bodge your mech to work as a tensioner and use the chain already there?
    depends how tidy you want it to look.
    sprocket and spacer kit, just to avoid some nasty stem/nuts interfaces, other than that, you dont NEED anything

charliedontsurf

I have a complete bundle ss kit, everything you mention, plus skinny chainring bolts so you can go down to one ring at the front.
    Feel free to email or call if you need any help.

… and welcome onboard… you will love it.

epicyclo

Riding with your existing mech etc doesn't really give you the feel of SS, it just gives you the feel of not changing gear while retaining all the unpleasantness of having a derailleur.

Get the kit from Charlie.

tinsy
    Free Member

clubber is kind of right in not changing gears will be like SS but you wont get the silence of one that way, and for me that was a lovely thing…

In my opinion, avoid sprung tensioners.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Numpty SS questions’ is closed to new replies.