Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Numpty question – XTR spds and plastic platform removal – how?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So got a nice set of new XTR spds off the forum. Clipped into one side of them is a plastic platform with a reflector.

I can't get the thing to unclip so I can take the bit og plastic off. Tried twisting it as much as I can not budging. Wound tension out as much as possible, still can't remove it.

Any one know how to remove them before I take a hack saw to it and cut it in half?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

screwdriver, lever out.

nuke

They are hard to get off if the pedals ain't fitted..try putting them on the bike then sit on the bike and with normal shoes on do the action required to unclip from an spd

DT78
    Free Member

Tried with the screwdriver – still can't get the leverage.

i'll try fitting them to the bike as suggested (there not on the cranks yet)

solarider
    Free Member

They come off really easily in the hand by holding the pedal in one hand and the plastic pedal insert in the other. They are quite sharp though. Suggest cupping them in a tea-towel. You don't need to mount them.

IMPORTANT TIP – You do however need to slacken the tension adjusters completely off. Undo the small allen key spring adjusters until just before they run out of thread. Job done. Don't forget to re-tension them afterwards or your feet will just pull out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Screwdriver between plastic platform and rear binding should do it. I think theres even a slot there for exactly that.

DT78
    Free Member

Ended up fitting them to the cranks and then using both hands to twist the things off. pita!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Too late now, but holding the plastic pedal in a vice then turning the pedal against it using an 8mm allen key worked for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Numpty question – XTR spds and plastic platform removal – how?’ is closed to new replies.