Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Numpty Question regarding The Deep (BBC1, last night)
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, sorry if this is really dense. I have a few questions…but the first one is: If a sub the size of the Russian jobbie was that deep, could it have an open section of water like the pool in which the Orpheus was sitting? I'm thinking obviously of the upside down glass in the bath…where the air keeps the water out of the glass.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The Deep is a factual drama based on real events. Everything in it is 100% true

Either that or it's a load of old toss (but I still seem to be watching it!)

GrahamS

Yes but only if the pressure inside the sub matched the water pressure. I think.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I know it's a load of old toss…but the question still stands.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

"Think" isn't good enough G. 🙂

GrahamS

I think if you took your upside down glass into a much deeper bath you would see the water level inside the glass rise as it compressed the trapped air to the same pressure as the water.

Equal and opposite forces or something.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

My head hurts watching Deep …

GrahamS

Yay wiki agrees with me 😀

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yes it's possible, but anyone inside the bubble would need to spend a while decompressing on returning to the surface.
    In normal, sealed sub, the air pressure is controlled at about 1 atmosphere.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, really it's not that possible is it? My next question was going to be what would happen if you stuck your hand in the water. Would it be instantly crushed.

And you thought the first question was a numpty?? 🙂

GrahamS

The pressure in the water would have to be the same as the air pressure.

So no your hand would not be crushed when you put it in the water as it would not be under any additional pressure than it was already.

mtbfix

The increased pressure would cause you to act in an unconvincing manner. You might feel tempted to ask whether exposure to radiation would leave you feeling hotter than before or you may even speak with a dodgy russian accent. The effects of deep water can be harmful. I would suggest not going into the briny murk or maybe just not watch the series.

Is it finished yet? I gave up after the first episode.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I guessed that when you mentioned about the air pressure having to be the same. But surely Human Beans couldn't survive at that kind of pressure at the bottom of the Arctic ocean anyway.

tthew

No, you'd be crushed by the air pressure in the hull first, which would have to be the same as the water pressure to keep it out, (like was described above)

Oh, and why did the ruskies not think think to automate the lowering of the control rods rather than having to have someone go and push them in by hand, (admitedly I might have been having a wee and missed the explaination.) And, that crappy temp gauge the apparently the only instrument monitoring the core, AND the really shonkly looking pipework with all the leaks. I thought they were supposed to be the best welders on the planet FFS. Jeez, that program really sucks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

mtbfix…I have continued watching it purely for comedy value now.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I was talking to my nerdy friend about this a few days ago and he reckoned that it was possible for the human body to adjust to different pressures by equalising the pressure inside the body. At some point the cells start to break down and that is what happens if you move into a very different pressure environment too quickly.

In the Deep, they would have to equalise the pressure inside the chamber to match the depth of the sub in order to stop it filling up with water or losing loads of its air. They would all need to decompress for some time before they could walk about on the surface again.

Thats what he said anyway.

edhornby

yes it's possible (should point out that I haven't watched the programme but I am a scuba diver and free diver so I have an idea what you're on about)

at deep pressures the 'divers' are fully saturated according to the depth of the bell so yes they would have to decompress but that is the case whether you're in the station with or without the wet exit

your hand wouldn't be crushed because the water pressure is the same as the air pressure
    Ever seen that film The Abyss? there is a wet exit chamber in that

(The Abyss is a rare example of a film that's scientifically accurate with the diving bits, a very respected commercial diver named Richard Bull was the consultant on that film, the bit where he fills his lungs with fluid isn't accurate because although i';s been done with mice it hasn't with humans, course the bit with the aliens is total balls but hey)

edhornby

btw, maximum water depth that humans have ever been to using scuba is about 330 metres, not sure about commercial bell depths but 200m for full saturation work isn't unknown

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Question regarding The Deep (BBC1, last night)’ is closed to new replies.