Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Numpty gearing question
  • timidwheeler

My touring bike is geared too high for me, I’m struggling to get up steep hills. What is the cheapest and easiest way to lower the gearing a bit?
    I currently have 36/46 on the front and 11-28 on the back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bigger cassette (And probably chain) though there is likely to be a limit on how big you can go without changing the rear mech.

Or look at a triple chainset (assuming you can’t fit a granny ring) – but you’ll need a new mech and likely shifter & BB.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’d opt for a 11/34 out back, or even 11/36, would make a big difference, and a cheap fix too.

Worth a shot before you start changing the whole drive train, you just might have to add a link or two in your chain.

timidwheeler

Can I do 11-36 on a road bike? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Can I change the 36 chainring on the front for something smaller.
    I really don’t have the money to replace the shifters.

nick1962
    Free Member

Can I do 11-36 on a road bike?

Possibly but depends on derailler

Check the capacity of the rear derailler and the max .recommended drop from big chainring to small chainring.
    Change the front chainring to a 32 or 34 if you can
    Change the rear cassette as suggested above but you may need to change your rear derailler too.
    Or do both.

timidwheeler

I’ve just checked and I don’t think my Force derailleur will go bigger than 28. How can I find out if a 32 chainring on the front is possible.

nick1962
    Free Member

What chainset do you have? Is it a 5 bolt road one or a 4 bolt MTB one?
    You need to check the BCD size.Minimum for 110 BCD(road) is 34 tooth afaik.
    It would help people to help you if you gave details of your current set up 🙂
    Sram Apex rear derailler for £40 at CRC can take an 11-32 cassette.
    I got an FSA 34 tooth 110BCD chainring for £12.99 recently probably the cheapest and easiest start.Will check where.A quick google shows Shimano ones available for £9.99

timidwheeler

I have a FSA gossamer it has 110mm BCD written on it. It has 5 bolts. Rival front mech Force rear mech.
    9.99 sounds good.

timidwheeler

Cheers for the help all.
    I have ordered a 33t 110 chainring from Wiggle. I will see how that goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Numpty gearing question’ is closed to new replies.