• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Numpty fork length question
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m going to replace my sus. fork on my26″ steel hardtail with a rigid one but am a little unsure which length to go for. I’ve checked with the manufacture who advises that, as the frame will take up to 130mm sus. forks, it’s safe to use a rigid fork between 440 – 480mm a-c.

The fork I’m looking at is available in 445mm or 465mm; the 465mm version is generally thought of as a 29er model but I believe that the rake is the same for both (44mm I think).

In the past I’ve found that a 450mm rigid fork is a tad lower (with the same steerer length) as my 100mm sus. fork with sag.

I’m a bit of a numpty when it comes to geometry; is there any advantage/disadvantage to using either fork (assuming that I place my bars at the same level as they are currently by the length I cut the steerer)?

andyl
    Free Member

Shorter fork: lower BB, steeper head angle
    Longer fork: higher BB, slacker head angle, possibly a bit wandery on climbs.

PJay
    Free Member

MRP, the manufacturers of the rigid fork I’m looking at have got back to me an recommend their 465 a-c fork for a 26″ wheeled frame based around a 100-130mm sus. fork, so that seems the way to go.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Numpty fork length question’ is closed to new replies.