Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Numpty Excel 2010 – Pivot table sort results by total column ?!?!
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a very simple pivot table.

Row Label = Procedure (lots of sub procedures within 1 procedure)
    Procedure Code = Numeric Value of above.
    Value/Total = Sum of sum of sub Procedure costs.

So pivot basically looks like this

Procedure – Procedure Code – Total
    Fried Eggs – 100 – £100
    Sausages – 101 – £ 50
    Bacon – 102 – £500
    Egg – 103 – £1000

How the hell can I sort by ‘Total’

The data will then be graphed, and then, I want to use a separate pivot to drill down in to the data of ‘Procedure 100’ and again sort this by value to be graphed.

Thanks

Edit – Just taken the numeric procedure code out and it has worked sorting on the total column!! Why wouldn’t it work with the procedure name & procedure numeric value ?!?!? 😈

bails

Click on the filter arrow at the top of your row labels column.

Select “More sort options”

It’ll prbably currently be on Manual. Select Ascending by/descending by depending on what you want. From the drop down underneath select “sum of Value” or whatever it’s called.

Edit: that won’t work.

What it’s doing is grouping things together (that’s kind of what pivot tables are for). So in the Fried Egg procedure ‘group’ it’s listing all of the procedure codes. Excel doesn’t know that you’ve got a 1-1 relationship, so it sorts everything within Fried Egg by value. But there’s onyl one thing there so it makes no difference.

Combine the code and name into one field (e.g. =a2&” – “&b2) and use that as your row value rather than using the name and code seperately.

stevious

Can’t help with your query but your thread title could be a Captain Beefheart song.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Excel 2010 – Pivot table sort results by total column ?!?!’ is closed to new replies.