Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Numb/reduced sensation in fingers from a long ride – how long before I worry?
  • psychle
    Free Member

The pinkie and ring finger on my left hand have both had ‘reduced sensation’ since the ‘SDW in a Day’ ride on Friday of last week. Was assuming it’d fade away and go back to normal in a few days, but pretty much the same today… have I done some sort of permanent damage do you think? Anyone had this before? The feeling is a bit like that ‘numbness’ you get when you bang your funny bone, not painful, but not pleasant either… 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

had it after most 24s – usually goes away in a couple of days.

if your getting it after 10 hours id be looking at A – position on your bike , B fitting bar ends for different position for your hands

wwaswas

I did my ‘funny bone’ on a rugby boot stud once – took nearly a week for the ‘tingly finger’ sensation to go and a fortnight before I felt it was back to normal.

I’d give it a few mroe days and if it’s still not improved go and see GP (not sure what they can do for nerve damage but if you visit early you can at least start workign your way through the system).

Maybe worth a look at Specialized style ulna nerve protecting gloves for a bit too, even once it’s calmed down?

epicyclo

Dropbars. Sorted.

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

Vibration white finger. Its become a big thing in construction industry from using impact tools. Apparently its a lot like frost bike, the veins/capillaries in the fingers shrink and reduce bloody flow. Repeated exposure can mke it permanent but most dont relaise the damage until later life when its too late. Hence they give silly short periods you are allowed to use tools for in a day (like 20 mins for a 9″ grinder lol, i wish! Use it for hours sometimes!) Anyway, im digressing.

Maybe you should see your doc about it, you may have just done some temp injury to it, but obviously as bikers we get a lot of impact to the palms from the bars and general shaking altho wouldnt have thought be enough normally to cause the above (unless maybe in your job you do something that adds to this) but perhaps some better padded gloves be a good idea and keeping your hands warm when out on ride

disco_stu
    Free Member

You could try using something like Ergon grips, they are designed to stop numbness in the hand and they do work for me ( not everyone likes the look of them though )

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s ulnar nerve damage, isn’t it?

Look at how much padding you have in your gloves – is it too much ot too little.

Consider changing your grips to something more shaped.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

yeah it’s caused by pressure on your ulnar nerve at the base of your palm, consider playing with your grips/bars/gloves/position. it will go away but can obviously come back if you don’t change anything!

Nobby

As stated earlier, normally if it’s the outer (little finger) side of your hand it’s likely to be the ulna nerve so should settle down after a few days. Whilst there are grips & gloves designed to help prevent it it may not be the hand that’s the actual problem.

I’ve been getting numbness in my right hand for years which had been attributed to the ulna however, after a number of tests it became apparent that the ‘damage’ wasn’t actually in my hand at all but was referred from an old shoulder injury – the ulna runs from your neck down to your hand.

By riding much further than normal you’ve probably just battered it enough to cause a bit of inflamation in there so some ibuprofen may even sort it for you. If you whacked your elbow or shoulder that may also be the cause but then the same ‘treatment’ applies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Numb/reduced sensation in fingers from a long ride – how long before I worry?’ is closed to new replies.