Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nukeproof wheels- any cop and can you take off the logos?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

After 4 years of being ridden several times a week, DH runs, 3 trips to the alps, cased jumps and being abused on the back of my hardtail a nipple has finally torn through my Stan’s Flow rim. Time to put it down.

Nukeproof Generator wheels are only 90g heavier than my Hope/Stan’s combo and are cheaper than a new Stan’s rim on it’s own just now (plus I can sell the Hope hub) but are they any good? I know the original NP hubs were rubbish.

Also, can you take all them minging stickers off the rim or are they painted on?

Any 135mm QR rear wheels that’re similar and <1100g for about £100 out there?

Cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Freehubs are shite

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy a rim and get the hope relaced. You can get the np rims branded or as the original mtx ones I think

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mike- I would, but a Flow is £64, plus £30 for spokes and £20 for a build on a hub that, if I’m honest, needs new bearings and the freehub seeing to.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

MTX are a pain when changing tyres too no?

mine seem to be anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If doing like for like why change spokes luke ?

Surely you can build wheel no ?

Bearings from local supplier

Still a better wheel than np

munrobiker
    Free Member

The spokes have all been snapping. And I can’t build wheels and don’t have time to learn just now.

However if the nukeproofs are so bad I will get it rebuilt.

dryroasted
    Free Member

I got one from crc a month ago paid about £85. Ive only used it a few 5imes so far so cant really comment on how well it will last etc but im really pleased with it so far. Tyres were easy to put on, bearings nice and smooth, free hub sounds nice and the logos are stickers. Good value for money

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above buying a cheap hub to replace a hope is false economy.
    Bearings are cheap and fairly easy to fit.
    Rims can be sourced cheaper
    Mates can build wheels for beer

Have a look at the Generator TR on CRC. I’m going mavic xm719 there are plenty of rims out there even try superstar.

Get a good lbs quote on doing the build and see how it compares.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof wheels- any cop and can you take off the logos?’ is closed to new replies.