Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • nukeproof scout 290
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve ordered one of these frames but nukeproof haven’t confirmed weight yet, anyone have an idea?

also, im new to 29ers: would a 51mm offset fork be okay to run with the frame, which is 66 ha (set up a 130mm Pike on the full build). I fancy Xfusion trace’s possibly set up at 120mm.

what’s a decent budget ‘aggro’ wheelset

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Superstar hubs and rims off the shelf at less than £200 have been great for a couple of builds I have done recently.
    The wider ds25 rim holds up well and is very strong with good internal width if you need to be “on trend”! Or a
    Good set of second hand hope pro 2 and arch or flow ex also come up on here regularly and often for similar £.
    Both of these have plenty of hub options .
    Finally look out for Easton Haven wheel sets, superb rims and decent hubs which are lightweight and very strong. Earlier bearing issues are resolved on later versions and should be picked up for similar or less £ to the above as new.
    These are qr 135 or 142 compatable.
    Richard

z1ppy

Only 6 pre-orders came in the beginning of the month, so doubtful anyone knows the weight.. All the rest due January, im edging closer & closer to ordering one.. I’m just about to return some 46mm offset pikes, that were sold as 51mm.. I’d assume the frame was designed around the later off-set. Wheels, Dt Swiss hubs if you can afford them, hope if not, would be my choice with a set of stan’s rims

honourablegeorge

Where did your mis-sold Pikes come from Zippy?

I just ordered a 2016 set form Alltricks, certainly hope I get the 51s they’re advertised as.

z1ppy

Rutlands, contacted SRAM they said:

The serial number you have quoted does not actually give the information about the offset.
    You will need to look under the crown to see what is embossed there, if it has 45-081 then it is a standard 46 in there is another number there it will be a 51 offset.
    Kind regards

Guess what my ‘number’ was..

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at this piece on fork offset, writer is on a 29er…
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/pushing-the-limits-of-fork-offset-an-experiment-45343/

I’ve stuck with 46mm on my new 29er, though the frame is spectacularly long.

chakaping
    Free Member

And +1 for the SSC Tech 4 wheels, I did a review here…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-superstar-components-tech-4-wheelset/

I did manage to put some dings and a flat spot in the rear in the end, but it took a right beating and is still running fine and holding air after a re-tension.

They have a decent general discount code on at the moment, but I’d wait for Friday just in case they come up with something more generous.

rOcKeTdOg

Does the frame have boost rear spacing?

z1ppy

Nope 142

thepodge
    Free Member

Thats a very interesting read on the fork offset

fingerbang
    Free Member

for what its worth, I asked CRC about offset and they advised that it should be a 46mm on this frame.

thedude
    Free Member

The other thing about the frame is on crc they list the xl as having a 480mm seatube and it’s actually 508mm like it says on the nukeproof website. The jump between large and xl is a bit much.

fingerbang
    Free Member

if I need a 46mm offset (I remain sceptical) then can anyone recommend any 46 mm offset 34mm stanchion forks? for no more than £350 which rules out new pikes and yaris

fingerbang
    Free Member

I can’t seem to find any 29er forks that are ‘standard offset’ apart from Pikes. Can anyone recommend suitable forks? Xfusion are all 51mm offset.

CRC have recommended standard offset for this frame but the cheap stock build comes with RS Yari which appear to be 51 offset.

I’ve looked at Manitou minutes as they appear to be 48mm offset but they look a bit spindly at 140mm travel as im a big lad.

I suspect that 51 offset will be fine on this frame but I don’t want to go against CRC advice and screw up the handling

thepodge
    Free Member

I really cant see the offset making much difference

Northwind

Looks ace but is anyone else thinking “I’ll wait til it’s £200”?

thedude
    Free Member

If anyone has got a xl one, it would be great to see a picture. I’m just wondering how low they kept the toptube.

z1ppy

As I posted further up, only supposedly 6 in Europe, the rest to come in January, & no one posted a build of any of them on here… As you posted that comment further up, I compared the standover compare to my current 29er & it’s the same, so I’ve not worried (34″ inner leg)
    ..and no NW I more interested in getting hold of a 29er HT that fits & has all my requirements, than waiting for a bargain in 8-10 months time

thedude
    Free Member

The frames have been in stock for a bit, that’s what it says on crc.

fingerbang
    Free Member

don’t know what’s going on; the drop date is apparently tomorrow but had no emails from CRC.

the standover and seat tube looks really low in proportion to the frame but the XL seattube is still 20 inch! I’ve got shortish legs for a 6 footer but can just about manage that seattube – just means the reverb sits up to its collar

wobbliscott
    Free Member

the 51mm offset forks is a definate improvement I found – certainly for downhill. Up the steep climbs it makes the steering feel a bit lighter and flip floppy – but when I changed my forks I went up 10mm of travel so not sure how much of that was due to the offset going from 46mm to 51mm or the slightly slacker HA due to the longer fork.

adambarton

According to my LBS my Scout 290 Pro should arrive next week or latest the week after (from 17/1’ish). I am straight away replacing the forks with some Fox 34’s, upgrading to a Renthal Carbon Cockpit and also replacing the SRAM Wheels with Mavic Crossmax XL shorn with Schwarbe tyres…….oh and a OneUp Oval chain ring, 🙂

thedude
    Free Member

Crc is listing the xl Scout as having 48cm/19″ seatube but the geometry chart says 508mm/20″.

cokie

adambarton- If you fancy selling the bits you’re taking off send me an email; cokie.stw(AT)gmail.com

fingerbang
    Free Member

here are pics or my Scout 290 XL:

I’ve not had a chance to build the frame, just BB, frame and wheels. Im transferring bits over from my DH bike, hence the diabolus stem. But forgot my saint cranks were 83mm so have had to order a right sized craneset. Im putting Code R’s on and need a dropper seatpost at some point.

I’ve not weighed the frame but I’ve not had a hardtail for 15 years so it feels ridiculously light! re tyre clearance – the tyres are 2.35. Im unlikely to run thicker tyres or even spikes so seems fine

the seat post is 20 inches. I’ve sat astride it and the sizing feels spot on for me (6 ft 3).

warns74
    Free Member

[fingerbang] thanks for the pics, could you post some more as the build progresses as interested to see how this XL comes along. The only thing bothering me at the moment is the tiny headtube on the XL so be good to get some more thoughts when you’ve ridden it.

Gotama
    Free Member

Could you also measure the stack please. Not sure why but it’s not stated on the Nukeproof geo chart. I suspect it is reasonably low given they seem to spec them with big rise bars.

STATO
    Free Member

Bit of basic maths gives the stack of a 130mm pike with 110mm head tube at 66* as 595mm. Add in the rather large 65mm BB drop and you get total of 660mm stack. Sounds a lot but long travel fork and long reach it probably makes sense, the BB drop is a lot more than most sus bikes.

fingerbang
    Free Member

the headtube is 110cm. Ive put on some ‘roots manuva’ forks (brand new second hand :-)) which are 2016 Revs and steerer is cut to 200cm in the photos.

I’ve left some steerer there just so I can mess around with the bar height. Surely a short headtube is better than the other way round?

I’ll put some more photos on as its built up. Im waiting for the cranks and need to bleed the code R’s as they’re in poor condition. Hopefully I can get a proper ride this sunday.

build will be:

RS Rev’s 140mm
    avid code R 180 R, 203 F
    superstar ex23
    Zee rear mech, shifters
    superstar 34t chain ring (1×10)
    diabolus D2 stem (60mm I think)
    warhead bars 760mm low rise
    slx crankset
    dx clipless pedals
    warhead headset (zero stack)

first impressions are very good; I think the frame’s gorgeous with options for internal as well as external cable routing. Not bothering to heli tape it.

z1ppy

Looks good, I’ve been holding off… though the seat mast is huge on the XL, I wonder if NP have a minimum insertion below that, for warrant claims (there was a thread about Commencal blaming too short a seat post, not inserted below the seat mast interface for a warrant claim and not ‘paying out’) . Will drop them a note.. though considering how logn it took them to confirm the offset, I won’t hold my breath waiting for a reply.

fingerbang
    Free Member

hi warns74, this is the XL built up (less pedals).

all I’ve done is had a tootle up and down the street so I’ve have to wait til next weekend to go off road.

Im having issues with the chainline; I’ve put a deore m627 double crankset set up as 1 x 10 but its sitting too far out. I’ve removed the BB spacers and put some washers between the ring and the spider but its still out. Don’t know what else to do. Might look at B screw adjustment and see if that eliminates the noise. The chain rings are very close to the chain stay so don’t know if its an issue with the BB itself?

Ive also bodged the SLX calliper on an avid mount but seems to fit okay.

The frame fit is great. Certainly not too much reach

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks fingerbang, it’s certainly looking nice, be interested to hear how you get on with it once you’ve had a chance to finish and ride it a bit more.
    I’m sure its just the slightly different camera angle but it looks nice and slack from the non-drive side and not so slack from the other!!

thedude
    Free Member

Thanks so much for the pictures and info, it’s just what I was hoping to see. The seatube is tall but the toptube still looks low. I’m 6 ft 1 and considering a xl.

thedude
    Free Member

How’s that thing ride?

taxi25
    Free Member

@thedude. Op’s gone to sleep on this lol. I’ve got one coming next week 😀 and will let you know about the ride.

thedude
    Free Member

I found this forum with some good pics. http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=125157

taxi25
    Free Member

Mine came yesterday, thought about getting a frame but didn’t have anything to go on it, with the 10% of from Bike-active buying a pro spec worked for me.

Only had a quick spin but it felt very stable and confidence inspiring. Might bunk of work early tomorrow and have a spin around Cafall.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Torn between this (xl) or a fast forward. The np is £70 cheaper and no doubt a bit lighter to boot but the ff is slaaaaack. Also its 7 weeks away and its touch and go whether my steerer is long enough and can’t find a low stack 30mm stem (that isn’t 1 million pounds and will work slammed onto the headset no spacers).
    Decisions……..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can’t make head nor tail of that link……it’s all Dutch to me.

taxi25
    Free Member

Did on my phone Rorschach I’m useless with IT stuff but its working for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘nukeproof scout 290’ is closed to new replies.