Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega Fork/Headset Options/Opinions – Help me choose.
  • MrNero50
    Free Member

What forks/headsets are people running on their Megas?

It isn’t my only bike and will be primarily a fun bike to use on short blasts, trailcentre jaunts where there are fun downs, CYB, Glentress, Hamsterly etc.

I’m thinking 170 Lyriks, but have discovered Nukeproof say you can run up to 180, so thinking Marzocchi 66.

Oh, and in the spirit of such threads, pics too if possible please.

freeman
    Free Member

1st set up was 1 1/8th steerer fox 36 float 160, external cup headset
    2nd set up is tapered steerer 36 Talas 180/180 Totems (Totems bought cheap for alps use), with Nukeproof tapered headset.

Since i prob wont be venturing much to the alps much now (1st sprog on the way), im sticking with the 180 talas for general trail hacking.

MrNero50
    Free Member

im sticking with the 180 talas for general trail hacking.

Any massively noticeable difference running 180 over 160?

freeman
    Free Member

No differences that i can feel, was going to stick with the 160s, but got hold of some 180s cheap, also, i wouldnt have gone for 180 floats either, even tho they are the better fork, I need the adjustable travel for climbing. Totems were perfect for alps use too.

reevil
    Free Member

Chris King inset 7 & tapered Lyrik coil u-turn.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I started off on mine with a set of 160mm Floats which were fine but much more of a XC fork (RLC model) I sold them on and got hold of some 55RC3 Evo Ti 170mm. Both forks running a NP external bottom cup and internal top.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

NP external with 160 van t’s here but cos I had the forks before the frame. I’d be tempted by some 170 lyriks for a bit more bb clearance. Check what headset you need if you’re going 180, I had a feeling you had to go internal when running bigger forks? Found it on website:
    Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup44IISS, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I ran some 150mm RLT Tis with a Nukeproof headset, external (+15mm) bottom cup, when I got the frame as I had the forks already.

The angles were OK but it was soon obvious that the frame needed something stiffer/bigger.

Went to 170mm Lyrik RC2DH. With the same external cup, the forks were 26mm longer. Great on straight trucking fast DHs but was a bit slack for general trail blasting, the front wheel felt a bit ‘floppy’ on climbs, steering out of ruts at slow speed etc. and it just wasn’t quite responsive enough for me.

I stuck in a Hope internal bottom cup, which dropped about 15mm off the stack and it feels great now, a very noticable difference.

The cool thing with a 44mm head tube is if you opt for a straight steerer and travel adjust fork (internal or external) then you can mess about with travel and cups to get it riding how you want. Tapered steerer forks limits you to external bottom cup though.

MrNero50
    Free Member

Thanks. Still deciding on forks but definately going interbnal cup headset.

Anymore Mega ownwers out there?

chay
    Free Member

I have a tappered set of 160mm lyriks, however I am considering a set of 180 domains.

with a 180 mm fork and a 44IISS are you limited to a 1 1/8th steerer tube?

kayak23

Using a set of 160mm coil Lyriks. Seem bob on. Don’t think I’d want to haul round too much more than that on your average trail centre.
    Could have done with 20mm more in Europe mind…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Running a 180 talas on my nuke proof mega In the lakes,very happy with the set up although pedal strike can be a problem with lower volume tyres.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Running a 180 talas on my nuke proof mega In the lakes,very happy with the set up although pedal strike can be a problem with lower volume tyres.

twotonpredator

160mm lyrik coil u-turns with mico dh damper.internal bottom cup nukeproof headset. Stiff, supple and the bike climbs pretty well with the forks wound down.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

chay – I think the 44IISS is an internal cup so only works with an 1 1/8th steerer. Another option for a 1 1/8th lower cup is the Hope pick n’ mix bottom cup only.

Was out on mine again yesterday – 27 miles round the Peaks taking in 4800 feet of climbing and all the tough DH runs and lots of rocks, I’m still loving it, great tough trail bike and mini DH bike all in one!

lurchh
    Free Member

Anyone running 180 forks and an external bottom cup?

chay
    Free Member

good feedback guys. I am a bit nervous of running a 1 1/8 steerer tube, would prefer to have a tapered steerer with 180mm domains……………do you think that would be too slack for all day rides, i do alot up the lakes and the peaks?

Cheers

lurchh
    Free Member

What about U-Turn Domains? And 1 1/8 will be fine but I like the extra stiffness of a full 1.5″ steerer

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’m running u-turn domains – 160mm flavour 1 1/8″ steerer coil sprung (bought 2nd hand) & a cane creek forty headset.

Performance has been decent, as has reliability (serviced lowers a couple of times & swapped the seals once) – only negative is the weight (they are fairly hefty)

Planning on swapping these out for a set of the Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti’s if/when some become available at a price I can afford.

chay
    Free Member

How do you find the 1 1/8 steerer, do you get any flex out of it?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Not that I can notice, though I’ve never ridden a bike with an 1 1/2″ steerer to compare.

I did the Megavalanche this year on it & it performed well for this.

Best thing I can say is that at no point did I feel limited by it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega Fork/Headset Options/Opinions – Help me choose.’ is closed to new replies.