Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Nuke proof mega 2016
  • Paul-j

So does anyone one know anything about the release of it?

No spy shots of it anywhere etc.
    other than the picture form the catalogue at Euro bike.

Wondered why it’s bring released in November and not at Euro bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Screw that…have you seen the Scout 29? I might even start riding again for that!

z1ppy

Scout 29er is supposedly due in the shops in November, so imagine the same time scales (complete guess TBH) the Mega. Oh and hands off Rorschach, the Scout (29er) will be mine!
    now I’m going to post a picture of it..

just cause I really like it..

PS: PB Nukeproof coverage last piccy shows a Mega graphic with “launch November 15”

Rorschach
    Free Member

They can’t be making more than one……conkers ftw…..best of 3?

jimjam
    Free Member

I might have seen a prototype at a trail centre last week.

prawny

Ooooh like the scout, will be interested in the specs of that. As long as they haven’t put a mahoosive fork on it like the 650b one

Northwind

I can actually see me buying a Scout.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It wants to be 140mm fork and 450mm+ reach on an xl……and £350.Then I’ll not have an excuse.

z1ppy

All the ‘articles’ mention a 130mm fork (but what 10mm between friends), the 650B one being brought down to 140mm, & reading last years geo, I’d expect (& want) a XL with 450+ reach.

Never been great at conkers, I’d go three rounds of pitching pennies

Rorschach
    Free Member

Roshambo? I’ll go first.

chakaping
    Free Member

Having seen the drastic revision and weight loss of the pulse, and knowing the mega has been essentially unchanged for a few years… I’d expect they might have something new and lighter up their sleeves.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Looks like the Ghost Lector

chakaping
    Free Member

OK had a look at that brochure pic now, so they’re obviously going for a lighter hyrdoformed frame.

Wonder if they’ll stay single pivot or move to horst-link now the patent is expired. That shock mount doesn’t give too much away.

Paul-j

Same shock placement as the pulse?
    http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb12618020/p5pb12618020.jpg

chakaping
    Free Member

Does look similar you are right, I’d guess they’d stay with the single pivot anyway.

If this is lighter (not hard) and a bit longer than the current Mega – and if it has a threaded BB and external cable routing then I’m going to be very interested in it.

BoardinBob

Is it single pivot? It’s called “erosion link” on mine and its a lot more complex than a Five

munkyboy
    Free Member

Count the pivots between the bb and wheel. It’s a single pivot, a lot are these days, it’s how the shock is actuated and the pivot placement that’s important…

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it single pivot? It’s called “erosion link” on mine and its a lot more complex than a Five

It’s a linkage-driven single pivot, a term which is a bit confusing considering it seems to have as many bearings as a 4-bar.

Be good if there were more choice of proper simple single pivot frames.

Paul-j

/chakaping +1

liamlittle13
    Free Member

Still nothing more than the 1 pic from above? This is a well kept secret…..

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Yeah im waiting very impatiently for more info on the new Mega before i decide on my new frame to build up. Come on Nukeproof give us a clue!!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Mega & even sat on it, but like everyone else I’m sworn to secrecy until it’s official launch.
    All I can say is I want one & might have to get an order in early.

legend
    Free Member

Unless you’re desperate, why not just 2-3 months until they’re 50% off?

jimjam
    Free Member

Turns out I did see it at a trail centre.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They do great frames, I a always surprised how they do them for the price

helpful1
    Free Member

We should be surprised at the extortionate price points other manufacturers sell their frames at.
    They’re all made the same way in similar factories.

‘Bout time someone picked up a decent ‘duro frame from the likes of Astro and punted them out for £599 to put an end to this silliness.

thepodge
    Free Member

‘Bout time someone picked up a decent’duro frame from the likes of Astro and punted them out for £599 to put an end to this silliness

A few people have tried this but its never taken off, maybe with more direct sales stuff being about its time to try again

sharkattack

If you’re impressed by Nukeproof’s reasonable prices then I think people would be shocked by how cheap an alloy suspension frame actually is. Carbon is even cheaper.

thedude
    Free Member

The scout 29 now on chain reaction. I wish the chainstays were a bit shorter.

northerntom
    Free Member

I spoke to one of the main independent dealers of NP bikes last week regarding this. I currently have the 2014 model, and it’s a great bike, if a bit heavy, and goes through bushings quite quickly, but in general, has been a good bike.

The main info I got was that the new model uses the same suspension layout as the new pulse, which apparently is a good thing – Sam Hill uses it, although I am not Sam Hill. I was disappointed to hear it’s not carbon, don’t get me wrong, carbon isn’t the be all and end all, but it tends to provide for a lighter bike. I think NP will struggle to get an all mountain bike that’s as hard wearing as the old mega’s, sub 30lb, without using a carbon frame. Although with carbon NP handlebars and wheels now available, would have thought these would be on there, so may help with the weight saving.

Apparently it’s being kept at a similar price, so would imagine £3200 ish, with a similar spec to this years. Although, with YT’s, Commencals and Canyons being similarly priced bikes, with incredible specs, and the equivalent specialized, treks now similarly competitive, I think the new Mega may not be as successful as the old one. Certainly I remember the 2014 mega being very popular at endure races. Think the Capra has fully taken over this mantle now though…….

jimjam
    Free Member

Did you ask him when they were expecting them? The press launch is this month I believe but word is they won’t really have any bikes for sale until March or April.

northerntom
    Free Member

Yeah, so he said release date should be the 10th of this month, so press releases etc. then apparently a small run straight off, but very limited.

Then for normal sale feb/march/april next year. Bad idea if I’m honest, a lot of guys deciding on bikes for the new season will have had theres for 5-6 months potentially by this point. They should have got this sorted a lot earlier.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think they did the same with Nukeproof in 2013-2014. At least with the Pulse iirc. Same with the 2015 Vitus range too.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

They are going all Apple on us

sharkattack

I heard they’re going to do away with the concept of ‘model years’.

Currently, every bike is updated every 12 months. Changes are usually cosmetic and superficial. 6 months later it’s in the 40% off sale and the next big thing is on its way.

I like the idea of saving up actual developments and releasing a full new bike every few years to give you a chance to actually wear out your current bike before it’s declared obsolete.

Any truth in this? I’m a bit out of the loop these days.

I actually like the Mega. It seems like a humble and unpretentious workhorse in a world of fragile, gimmicky, trinkets. I also hope the new one is satin black again. I also heard no chance of getting one until March though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got to respect Nukeproof for making practical, tough bikes for real riders – sort of like a budget Orange.

If the new Mega is a bit lighter, longer and keeps external BB and cable routing then it should succeed as well as the previous ones.

I couldn’t wait though and I’ve already got my new enduro sled.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, im really interested in a Scout 290 but note that CRC drop date is ’28/12/15′. What are the chances this will be the actual due date? Is this likely to be on of the ‘moving goalposts’ deadlines that are the norm now?

If its more like later than in 2016 then I’ll probably have to get Parkwood or something.

How do people feel about the none more slack 66 HA on a 29er? Seems like its into the Nikolai orgasmatron territory there

thepodge
    Free Member

That Nukeproof Scout 29er looks fast and a lot of fun

chakaping
    Free Member

Fingerbang – If you’re medium-sized and after something very similar to the Scout but slightly less slack (68deg), I’m selling my Trek Stache.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Cheers chakaping. I’m an XL unfortunately. Cheers tho.

Prob just going to get a parkwood as just priced up a full build based on a 350 quid frame and its well over a grand now. Shame as the scout and bigwig are both spunktastic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Nuke proof mega 2016’ is closed to new replies.