• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Now TV, Roku, Amazon Prime stick or what?
  • geoffj

Need a streaming device for a TV.
    Needs to do;
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime
    Red Bull TV

There seems to be good deals on now tv with sky cinema bundles etc., but I’m not sure they do Netflix .
    Whadya think?

Jamie
    Free Member

Firestick.

I imagine it’ll be in offer during Amazon’s Black Friday stuff.

Markie
    Free Member

Seconded Firestick.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Firestick pretty decent now, especially with the voice . User interface remarkably better since they first came out.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Fire stick or fire tv it’s reduced in Black Friday.

el_boufador

I don’t like my fire stick, chromecast much, much, much better. However no prime on the chromecast. You can work around this by casting from the PC, but it’s a bit of a pain.

skids
    Free Member

NowTV isn’t on firestick. PS4 and Xbox One have all the apps

P-Jay
    Free Member

You’ll need to research what devices stream what, especially in HD.

Prime is the most restrictive imo and pretty much needs a fire stick or console / PC if you want HD.

NowTV boxes don’t do Netflix or Amazon, but cover the terrestrial stuff quite well.

Apple TV does NowTV, iPlayer and Netflix in HD but ITV, 4 and 5 don’t make an app for it.

Jamie
    Free Member

NowTV isn’t on firestick.

That wasn’t part of the requirements, tho?

monkfish
    Free Member

Apple TV covers most bases and I can AirPlay prime quite happily to it, although an app is rumoured to be coming.

It’s just expensive compared to the other solutions out there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    Prime is the most restrictive imo and pretty much needs a fire stick or console / PC if you want HD.

I get HD in the Amazon app on my Smart TV.

However it’s clunky and has issues with 5.1 audio glitches at time. Despite other apps on the same Smart TV being fine (e.g. Plex). Known issue and usual conclusion in support forums is Amazon’s Fire TV app is the only reliable one. Funny that.

jimjam
    Free Member

If you’ve got a new(ish) phone check if it does smart view/smart cast. It works perfectly with the sites you’ve mentioned. In fact I’ve given up with the redbull app and its shitty nav and just cast from the phone to the tv.

Fueled
    Free Member

We just bought our second Roku. It just works, I’m not sure what additional features anyone could want (except 4k?) and it only cost £30.

wrecker
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the nvidia shield (other than its expensive)
    Is it a waste of money if you don’t want the gaming function?
    I like that it has a hdd but I’m not really sure what it’s for (can it record?)
    Surely kodi is a must for a streamer?

slackman99
    Free Member

Nvidia shield tv is good, but if you don’t use the games then no real benefit. I have one, don’t use the games and it’s good, but lacks all4 (has iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, itv etc)

geoffj

Thanks all.
    Looks like a toss up between roku and and a firestick.

wrecker
    Free Member

Excuse the thread hijack, if someone were looking to cut the cable and buy a UHD TV, soundbase and streaming thingy for £aslittleaspossible, where would be a good place to start?

Cletus

I have various devices including Chromecast, AppleTV (old one), Roku stick and FireTV stick.

The Amazon device is the one that is used the most. I liked the Roku but it constantly loses connection to the remote and resetting it is a PITA. It only tends to be used for NowTV with a phone remote app when I want to watch the football.

All these are better than the crappy Virgin Tivo box I have when it comes to Netflix, Youtube etc.

It would be nice if the vendors could learn to share so that a single device could have all services.

Jamie
    Free Member

Apparently Tesco are doing the Firestick for £25 from 22/11 for Black Friday.

geoffj

Thanks Jamie

slackman99
    Free Member

Or you could buy my shield if you’re wanting games too!

Jamie
    Free Member

Just an update. John Lewis and Amazon both have the Firestick for £25 from today.

Chromecast is £19 at Maplins and Currys.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ plus it comes with a voucher for two months of NowTV Cinema

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone seen any Roku deals?

need something that will do Now TV & Netflix without hacking or side loading anything – this the cheapest option?

ac282

Make sure its the current firestick. Our first one kept overheating but the second gen one we now have is fine.

funkmasterp

Roku is great imo

chrisdw
    Free Member

Might send my Firestick back since Google pulled youtube from it. Roku is looking like the best now.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Google pulled youtube from it.

When did this happen? Mine was working a couple of days ago.
    That’ll be a real nuisance, I like watching YouTube on the telly and the firestick made it dead easy.

Jamie
    Free Member

Today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42251531

In effect from 2018. Hopefully a deal is reached.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Now TV, Roku, Amazon Prime stick or what?’ is closed to new replies.