Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Now I remember why I stopped using eBay
  • cookeaa

Put a frame up for sale, pretty standard listing accepting PayPal payment only…
    It finished two days ago, not a word from the wining bidder until today, when he’s asking if he can have the details to pay directly into my bank account… FFS!

Now do I respond politely, or sarcastically ask if he’d like my passwords and DOB too?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just tell them it’s Paypal or nothing. They may be genuine, and just prefer to use BT.

At least with BT they can’t claim it’s damaged after they drop it on the garage floor, and you have eBay refund them out of your Paypal account before you’ve had a chance to scratch your arse.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or just accept the bank transfer?

I’ve never had a problem that way, worst they can do is set up a direct debit in your name.

cookeaa

Just messaged me back after I turned down BT. Getting mum to use her PayPal account now…

I might as well have used pinkbike.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’d be careful about it being a hacked Paypal account. I’ve been on the receiving end of that.

Mine was a laptop years ago. Paypal reversed the transaction weeks after I’d drawn the money, then chased me for it!

kerley
    Free Member

I sell pretty much everything these days with only Buy It Now and use Pay immediately so they can’t win it without paying. May lose a bit of money as I have to set the price but much less hassle.

davewalsh
    Free Member

So, the buyer wants to pay with a method where you don’t have to pay a cut to PayPal and also gives him no way of reclaiming the cash if he’s not pleased with it.
    Err, I’m not seeing a downside to this!

maccruiskeen

accept the BT then don’t post the frame 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Davewalsh +1. As a seller you’re Onto a winner with a bank transfer. Very odd.

cookeaa

I probably am paranoid, but I only do bank transfers with people I actually know, handing over account no and sort code to a stranger may not in itself give them access but you’ve just handed over some useful information to someone if they do have fraudey intentions…

As for PayPal/ebay taking their cut?
    I had already accepted that, it was stated up front that was how I wanted payment, I’m just clearing out the garage, so wasn’t really looking for vast profit margins, So I’ll live with the minor loss…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Now I remember why I stopped using eBay’ is closed to new replies.