Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Now I have gone and done it-tubeless trauma
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Having fetched the bike out to find another micro thorn slow in the front tyre I lost me rag and went and bought a 9mm drill bit, two 20″ tubes, a valve core remover and a tube of Bontrager Superjuice sealant. Two hours later both tyres back on seated and with sealant in.
    Three hours later when topping back up with air I now know why I should have also bought some LUST or tubelsss ready tyres but love the ride quality of the Maxxis Ardents that are not yet worn out. The sidewalls of the tyres are like a Tetley Tea Bag…Came back to the bike yeasterday 24 hours on to find a totally flat front and half pressured rear. Put enough sealant in so I could hear some sloshing in the wheel and repressured them and rode them around for a while. The ride quality/grip due to the extra flex in those flimsy sidewalls seems on the face of it to be really good but another 24hrs on Whilst they had only lost 10psi of the 40 psi I left them set at the sidewalls are still leaching air.
    Do I persist with more sealant if required or save the £13 on another bottle of sealant and put it to some LUST versions of the tyre and try and get some without the wife catching me out.I am reluctant to use Stans or Joes or Caffelatex as I do suffer from dermatitis that is set of by latex.
    The tyres have lost nothing from the bead seat which I was chuffed with and I am reluctant to shell out another £70 on tyres if I can avoid it. I do have a set of single ply Minnions and a set of WTB Weirwolfs also hanging up in the garage-has anyone had better results ghetto tubless either of those tyres?
    Thanks ofr usefull and p’taking replies 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

your mistake is using bonty superjuice, tis shite

Suggsey
    Free Member

Can i mix latex with the glycol based stuff thats in there? I could always invest in some nitrile gloves. I had read some stuff on rim damage casued by the ammonia in the latex solutions. The Superjuice has some good reviews and was the better of the two products on the shelf and was ethlyne glycol based.

br
    Free Member

also better to use new (or nearly new) tyres

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve been tubeless for over 3 years and wouldn’t go back. Used standard tyres (mostly maxxis and spesh), tubeless ready, and LUST, on ghetto with 20″ tubes, ghetto with just leccy tape, and with tubeless rims.

I’ve used art latex, and also JRA Wheelmilk. Always worked a treat. So you’ll be after some non-latex gloves then.

Your maxxis tyres will be fine ghetto with latex sealant. I would remove the Bonty juice first tho. Don’t know if it will mix or not, but not worth the bother of having to do it twice more.

And when you’ve put the latex in and pumped ’em up, give a good tilt and slosh around to coat all over the inside of the tyre.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Looks like its some gloves and latex then 😉

charliedontsurf

Tin hat time.
    Get stuck in and it can be worth it.

sockpuppet

latex based juice is best imo. fine, it doesn’t fix the biggest holes like some of the others, but it does seal sidewalls etc very well, and only dries out slowly. plus when it does, you only need a small amount to top up, becasue of the lovely latex membrane you’re left with.

jra wheel milk for me.

although AFAIK, you can’t mix it with glycol based stuff.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Doubt there will be much ethylene glycol left at the rate its leaching out 😆

M6TTF
    Free Member

Lay the wheels on their side on a bucket for a bit, then turn them over, helps seal them up. I’ve got standard ardents on my 29er and they sealed up fine.

scaredypants

geax jizz seems to work quite well – not sure what’s in it but doesn’t look milky like some others

mudpup
    Free Member

M6TTF has it nailed – bet you left the bike upright. You have to leave the wheels on their sides for a good while over the 1st 24hrs or so.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Update: I had been laying the wheels on their side for the first few hours alternating until I packed the garage back away.
    Since the passing of the past 24hrs following the top up of Superjuice they have only lost about 4psi in 24 hours so the rate of loss is dropping and I think eveything will be okay (mainly as I have a bottle of Stans to switch to at the weekend) 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Now I have gone and done it-tubeless trauma’ is closed to new replies.