• This topic has 56 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Now i don't have the most skillzzz on a bike but…..
  • Houns

Surely this a pi$$ take

😯

jedi

believe it or not the most common fear in riders are steep roll downs…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Looking at it from a different angle I would think twice 🙂 (no, not me in the vid)

EDIT- original guy seemed to suffer from a lack of run up (as well as gnar and MTFU obviously)

MrTall
    Free Member

It looks very tame on that video but it looks a hell of a lot steeper once you're at the top of it to be fair to him. The video makes it look like a gentle roll in but it is not.

Having said that, i'm a wuss and i rolled straight into it so that bloke is a bit of a girl. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

It does look quite a bit worse in real life – I had to think about it for a sec. Probably wouldn't have ridden it with my saddle that high. 🙂

Piece of piss once you go for it though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In all fairness, cameras video or otherwise can make steep tricky trails look lame, a couple of people have also posted on here how tricky that bit of trail is and in his defence he did eventually clean it.

That said it doesn't look too bad, no worse than those series of steps on the Skyline at Afan.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

We all have a stopping block in our minds. At least he got down it in the end. He will fly over it the next time.

Houns

That second vid made me cross my legs, you're right though the 2 vids do make it look v different.
    Now you've all shot me down in flames im going to search once more for the bloke who crawls down the wooden bridge at Llandegla on his arse.

And yes i am doing this to make me feel better about myself 😆

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

don't see the issue, we've all had to start somewhere and we all have stuff that scares us.

jedi

the mental skills are just as important as the physical ones

sobriety
    Free Member

I think a lot of it is that he has time to look at it and build it up into something that he can't do, as I discovered in Chaing Mai with these guys, when you come zipping round a blind corner on some singletrack and your guide shouts 'Drop!' you don't have time to get the fear!

Edit: and Jedi beat me to it!

grumm
    Free Member

If you want to be cruel there was a guy who posted a vid on here a while ago of somewhere like Swinley I think, that featured a selection of truly terrible riding.

(standard 'I'm no riding god – at least they were out enjoying themselves' etc disclaimer)

😉

Andy_B

Does anyone have a link to the black section at Hully Gully? Or is that what all the roller coaster links on youtube are? I skipped it last time due to not wanting to face something unexpected while so tired. It was a pissy wet day so most people were struggling to some extent.

hora
    Free Member

Thats gnarly dude!

grumm
    Free Member

Yup that's the roller coaster bit. Not sure why it's black really – I suppose if you fell of the inside of the big corners somehow it might not be pretty. There's nothing technical, though it can get very slippy.

jedi

is gisburn a nice fun trail?

Edric64
    Free Member

There is another post of that from another angle where it looks much steeper

singlespeedstu

Having seen how much of a mincer the OP is I don't think he has any room to slate others….

rOcKeTdOg

this is amusing
    NSFW as it has Northerners swearing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DiY9-Jp8c&feature=related

angryratio
    Free Member

Meh, someone is a bugger for posting that on youtube really.
    Probably further hamper his riding mojo.
    I had a proper riding skill fart in scotland recently.
    was a steep rocky decent in Dalbeatie.

Salt in wounds (full sus bike) was watching a kid of 13 on a fully rigid maxlight ace it at mach 3.

oxnop
    Free Member

My girlfriend is even screaming at the video 'you need more of a run up than that!!!!' If he rode it first time without stopping then there wouldn't have been any issues.

That slab is good fun in the pouring rain though!!

carlosg
    Free Member

First time you approach the slab at Gisburn it does seem steep but once you go over the edge you realise it's a piece of piss , didn't drop the saddle on my hardtail for it the other week and I'm definatly no riding god although some rider on a 6" specialized commented he 'thought I was brave doing that on a hardtail' , cha yeah right!

Jedi, Gisburn is a fun trail , there's a couple of tricky bits but on the whole it's an easy ride . New stuff is still being built there so who knows what it will become?

jedi

will put it on the list when i go up norf 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Perhaps it was his first time on a bike, so I will give him the benefit of my doubt, if not then a skillz course is required PDQ 😆

Northwind

Doesn't look that bad to me, then I bottled the mcmoab exit chute yesterday so what do I know? Headology innit.

jimmy

What grum said.

carlosg
    Free Member

The mcmoab exit is a similar incline but about twice the drop as Gisburn slab but feels worse as it exits onto a more level surface.

Woody
    Free Member

Hora wrote

Thats gnarly dude!

Can someone please post the vid of Hora aka 'TheDownhilla'

jedi

hora? on film? riding? 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Only 2 out of the 3 😆

Andituk
    Free Member

Didn't help the poor fella that someone was recording his potential **** up on camera.

Steep drops scare the crap out of me, I think I'd of bottled it too. It really is just a mental block, you get to the edge and can't force yourself to go over, you just want to hit the brakes.

soobalias
    Free Member

fair play to him

if i umm and arr about anything for three minutes, its just not happening that day. end of.

akira

Remember being out once with a mate, he rode big drops, steep bits all day and then came to this little kerb sized run in to a gully, for some reason he stopped at the top of it, then again, then again, he knew he could ride it blindfolded but managed to turn it into a big thing and left without doing it…..the mind is a funny thing.
    Obviously I still rip the poop out of him at every chance though.

There's a little drop (about 10') on a local ride that you drop right over some rocks through a wall and immediately turn left over some roots, before dropping in to the slope, which itself has rocks and roots.

It scared the crap out of me for months until I actually grew some balls and was amazed how easy it was once I rode it. Strangely though, I've ridden it most on my Lava Dome HT, but I still stall occassionally now I ride a 6" FS. Still not had the bottle to do it in the wet though.

jedi

it's about seeing things for what they really are and being strong mentally

Woody
    Free Member

There's a little drop (about 10') on a local ride

10' is a little drop nowadays ? 😯

By drop I meant steep rollable slope – not drop-off. Sorry, but 4' is enough for me.

RustySpanner

Poor lad might have been out on his second or third ride, with a new or borrowed bike – no need to laugh, we've all been there, some of us still are!
    We're all scared of different things – exposure does it for me.

For some people, it would be someone breaking in, trashing their entire collection of rare Oakleys and arranging the remains around their body whilst they slept. 😀
    From his previous posts, I believe this would seriously traumatise the OP!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Thing is Houns, given that cameras can be deceptive I am not too sure I could do that kind of drop. And on the other hand I have had Trekster and a few others offer nothing but helpful advice getting me down a few other slopey but much smaller bits in one piece around various Stanes which is great. And yesterday I rode up and stopped 2 or 3 times on a slope before finally giving it a go 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Headology innit.

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Now i don't have the most skillzzz on a bike but…..’ is closed to new replies.