Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nottingham advice
  • BoardinBob

4 of us heading to Nottingham on Saturday for the UFC. The slight complication is the fact we’ve got ridiculous flight times. We’ll arrive at East Midlands around 8:30am so we’ve got all day to kill on Saturday, then the flight home doesn’t leave till about 8pm on Sunday night.

So we’re looking for recommendations for somewhere to grab breakfast on Saturday morning. I’m thinking eggs benedict rather than a greasy spoon.

Then the plan is to watch the Chelsea v Arsenal game, so a decent pub recommendation would be appreciated. Again, somewhere reasonably nice rather than a Wetherspoons or student pub.

Any late night venues worth checking out? More interested in late opening pubs than a club.

On Sunday we’re trying to get tickets for the Nottingham v Derby game, but assuming we can’t are there any other must see tourist attractions in Nottingham?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Derby

Kryton57

Just so you know, Hooters is closed down.

mildred

Just so you know, Hooters is closed down.

Really? It was open last week.

BoardinBob

Derby

Yes, I’m starting to think that. I always had the impression Nottingham was quite nice but after some research, it appears to be a merde hole

Don’t know about breakfasts, but for an evening meal can recommend Las iguanas and there’s a decent trendy bar a couple of doors away that I think shows footy

mysterymove
    Free Member

Head to West Bridgeford it ticks all your boxes…

andeh

Warsaw Diner up on Canning Circus!

tobysdad
    Free Member

Agree with Warsaw Diner, awesome breakfast there

Nottingham has loads of great pubs in and out of the city centre try googling, The Lincolnshire Poacher, Bread and Bitter (has its own cuycling club), Poppy and Pint, Cock and Hoop, Sir John Borlaise Warren, Heart and Hand, The Peacock, The Gladstone.

If you want a good evening feed, head to Desi Downtown, amazingly good value http://desidowntown.co.uk/

Personally I’d avoid main city centre on Saturday, gets a bit lively.

Nottingham has a far worse reputation than it deserves but like any big city it has its fair share of knobends.

Hope you have a good time.

BoardinBob

It is quite ironic that we’re going to watch grown men pound each other to a bloody pulp, yet we’re wary of Nottingham city centre on a Saturday night.

Cheers for the suggestions.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Grown men? Come on now….!

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’ll be lucky to get any tickets for the game, and personally I’d steer clear of the pubs come final whistle as it will inevitably be going “off”.

restless
    Free Member

The Southbank bar on the West Bridgford side of Trent Bridge is near Nottm Forest City ground and is always popular for watching matches. There are also lots of nicer bars in west bridgford. Only 2 miles from city centre

tron
    Free Member

Derby? Seriously, Derby? Derby is an absolute hole of a place – OK, statistically speaking you’re probably slightly less likely to get shot, but you might die of boredom.

First things first – you won’t get shot unless you’re actually involved in the drugs trade.

Breakfast – depends on where you are. Franky and Benny’s do an OK fry up / american style pancakes / eggs benedict. TBH I’m not normally up and about early enough in the morning to be dining out for breakfast.

For lunch, Petit Paris do a good set menu. Avoid the all you can eat places on Parliament street. Rank. Desi Downtown and Chennai are both pretty solid for a curry in the evening.

As for drinking, there’s basically a rough 100 yard crap pub zone around the main square. That’s where the Walkabout, Wetherspoons, Yates etc. are.

Decent places are – any pub or bar from the Bell inn onwards, just up the road from Burton’s, heading towards Las Iguanas etc. etc. There’s also a nice Chinese restaurant (Man’s I think) on the side street just before you get to Las Iquanas. There’s also a nice pub up by the castle, and obviously the Olde Trip.

On the other side of town (ie, heading away from the Bell, or as you head into town from the NIC / Capital FM arena) there’s Tilt, which does decent cocktails, and a few good pubs up in Hockley – the Angel tends to eitehr have something good on or be a bit flat. There’s also the Pitcher and Piano which does cocktails, but it’s pricier and has a higher density of arrogant flash harrys. There are also a few half decent real aley pubs down by the canal, but it’s a bit of a mission from town.

As for Bridgford, there are the bars around Trent Bridge as mentioned, plus the Stratford Haven and Monkey Tree. I’d sooner be in town though.

Places I would dodge:
    Bar Circle as there’s always a bit of an atmosphere in there.
    Any pub that’s next to the station.
    Dogma.

No idea which clubs are decent as I’m normally well oiled by the time I land in them…

pete0773
    Free Member

I can recommend Larwood & Voce,

http://www.larwoodandvoce.co.uk/breakfast-menu.html

One of mine and the wifes favourite!

Its right next to the cricket ground and they have sky sports.

Or if your in the city center there is Homemade, a great little place just of the market square ( its opposite the All Saints store ) just up the hill from Freewheel (LBS)

Pete

BoardinBob

thegreatape – Member
    Grown men? Come on now….!

6`11″ and 255lbs. You don’t get much more grown than that

ebygomm
    Free Member

Second the larwood and voce recommendation if you’re looking for brunch rather than greasy spoon

ebygomm
    Free Member

Lots of road closures on Sunday because of the Robin Hood half marathon btw.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham advice’ is closed to new replies.