Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Notice periods
  • Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Any legal/HR experts on here?

Ive been offered a new job but the company would like me to try and get my notice period down, its 3 months with my current employer.

The 3 months is in my contract but the company has recently announced that it is closing my site and moving to Manchester in 2012, would this help at all getting the notice period shorter?

Thanks!

clubber
    Free Member

My HR dept told me that even when people have 3 months notice written into their contracts that really they can only count on holding people to 1 month for legal reasons… How true that is I can’t vouch for but I know that no one here who’s been on 3 months has had to work more than 2.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes we have three mths but it is near impossible to enfocre – let them know you will be ill for the last 8 weeks whatever they decide – assuming you dont mind burning brdges etc. We let people walk after 4 weeks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yoiu agreed the contract. Its binding. However if you leave after one month there is little that the old employer can realistically do.

Myself I would ask the old employer if they would be willing to waive the notice period or some of it.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Thank you, guess im going to have to battle it out with the HR department.

Thanks for the replies.

suthy
    Free Member

I’ve been held to 3 months twice – it was in my contract. It works both ways remember.

The first time was 3 months garden leave so it’s not all bad. The second time was a very easy 3 months of playing golf with customers.

ourmaninthenorth

The risk you have is being sacked for repuiatory breach of your agreement, and then ending up with no reference.

I’d just say “listen, I’ve got a new job, I love you all but I really must move on, can I have a shorter notice period please? kisses”

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I’d just say “listen, I’ve got a new job, I love you all but I really must move on, can I have a shorter notice period please? kisses”

Pretty much the line im going with.

It does work both ways, whenever we have had someone leave ive always been grateful that they have to stay 3 months to train the new guy up. So i am well aware the benefit it has and im aware it is in my contract but with the company basically saying move 300miles to manchester or your out im not setting my self out to do the company any favours, Id rather try to get on the good side of the company im moving to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Notice periods’ is closed to new replies.