Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Not what you want your drone taking a picture of…
  • wwaswas

oops.

cranberry
    Free Member

Time for an unplanned landing.

footflaps

Better than a surface to air missile approaching….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is that a Marquee with a Lake Jump attached ? 😆

GrahamS

Oops! That’s not going to end well. 😆

Though he has the picture so I guess he must have at least found the wreckage.

oliverracing

Better than a surface to air missile approaching….

Probably a similar effect

DezB
    Free Member

blimey, that’s a bit… er…

I have no idea what that is a picture of.

toppers3933
    Free Member

That’s the battery that should be attached to the thing that took the photo. But it isn’t. So gravity is about to take control again.

fasthaggis

It’s ok ,the pilot has a spare battery 😉

GrahamS

I have no idea what that is a picture of.

Something that is generally fairly important to the staying-in-the-air-ness quality of a quadcopter:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fortunately it looks to be falling onto open ground instead of hitting someone on the head, which would probably be fatal.

Drones where banned from a 6 mile radius of the Superbowl last night.

GrahamS

I suspect that has a LOT more to do with licensing and TV rights than any kind of “safety fear” that may have been cited.

sharkbait
    Free Member

DJI (quadcopter manufacturer) have released a software update that stops the ‘copter flying anywhere near US airports and the White House.
    Good idea.

GrahamS

I think most/all of the autonomous drones have No-Fly zones marked up in their route-planning software.

Not much they can do to prevent someone doing it manually though.

wwaswas

I did wonder if the drone had a real time data link back to the operator for images?

At that height you’d need to be CAA registered to be flying it anyway so hopefully it’d have a separate GPS tracker (and didn’t land in the water) and a spotter keep an eye on it.

GrahamS

At that height you’d need to be CAA registered to be flying it anyway

I don’t think so, not for non-paid work anyway:

Essentially, the person controlling a small UAS is fully responsible for the safe operation of any flight, but it is important to consider whether a permission (not a licence) from the CAA is needed.

You must request permission from the CAA if you plan to:

fly the aircraft on a commercial basis (i.e. conducting ‘aerial work’)
    or
    fly a camera/surveillance fitted aircraft within congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control

Permission is not required if:

the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16006

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder how they’d enforce that?

Cougar

At that height you’d need to be CAA registered to be flying it anyway

When I used to fly model rockets, you could fly up to a ‘D’ engine without notifying anyone. A ‘D’ engine can easily reach upwards of 1,000ft. Not sure how high that drone is but it looks about 500′ tops to me.

wwaswas

congested areas or closer (than the distances listed within Article 167) to people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control

It appears from a quick trawl of their site the only way to find what the distances are is to purchase the documents referred to. Which isn’t much help.

toppers3933
    Free Member

From the BMFA:

Article 167, (Small unmanned surveillance aircraft)
    (1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
    (2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:-
    (a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
    (b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
    (c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
    (d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
    (3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
    (4) Paragraphs (2) (d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.
    (5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

globalti
    Free Member

It won’t be long before micro-drones will be used to deliver biological weapons in warfare. Entrenched armies will suddenly find the air full of swarms of suicidal robots the size of bumble bees, programmed to seek and sting anything warm then die.

chambord
    Free Member

It won’t be long before micro-drones will be used to deliver biological weapons in warfare. Entrenched armies will suddenly find the air full of swarms of suicidal robots the size of bumble bees, programmed to seek and sting anything warm then die.

😯

Excuse me while I lock myself in my cellar

Northwind

globalti – Member

“Hey, my boy, it’s you and us knife missiles now,
    Our lunge and speed and bloody secret:
    The way to a man’s heart is through his chest!”

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    mrchrispy

use of weapons no?
    1st m.banks I read…may have to revisit it

Rockhopper
    Free Member

400 feet is the height limit for most radio controlled aircraft (i think thats about 123 metres).

kcal

Cougar – my lad was going to set off a small rocket – no more than couple of hndred feet – problem was we’re near a fast jet reaction base and that’s a no-no without advance notice (kind of understandably)..

CountZero

You’re a bit behind on what the tech twonks have been developing; this has been the subject of much talk and conjecture for some years.
    Not to mention SF stories.

wwaswas

Rather disturbing piece about how the US military recruits gamers to fly drones with little regard to the psychological effects.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/video/2015/feb/02/drone-wars-gamers-recruited-kill-pakistan-video?CMP=twt_gu

molgrips
    Free Member

Ender’s game for real.

CountZero

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
    (3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
    (4) Paragraphs (2) (d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

I’m fairly sure this quadcopter was closer than that when the owner launched it:

[/url]Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]
    He was filming a bloke who creates huge patterns on the beach with just a rake.

molgrips
    Free Member

That laser that shoots down drones.. Is it not sufficient to simply put mirrors on your drone?

GrahamS

Yeah not within 50 metres of a person is a bit nonsensical in some situations.

e.g. I fly my little quad around the living room 😀

Cougar

Cougar – my lad was going to set off a small rocket – no more than couple of hndred feet – problem was we’re near a fast jet reaction base and that’s a no-no without advance notice (kind of understandably)..

Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me. Near an airbase is a bit different (-:

The legalese around model rocketry is a bit … immature in this country, I guess it’s still something of a niche hobby. Getting hold of motors can be irritating.

andytherocketeer

quite a bit of effort has been put in to model rocketry legalese in recent years, and in theory, an EU law has been to our advantage. lots of technically legal motors now available, and much bigger than an Estes D.
    Helps to know the right guys.
    Not an issue getting anything from A-K power, all licence free. K-M power needs a licence. A-M power (or was it O power?) all well documented in CAA regulations.

oops @ that multirotor battery though.

erm, yep, done the same with rocketry batteries too 😳

murf
    Free Member

Hate to be a pedant CountZero but that’s actually an Octocopter.

My quad randomly fell from the sky today, not sure if it was the super cold temperatures. Off shopping for new landing legs…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Me and Mrs. C were discussing, mostly, the negatives of them showing up at UCI events, I was thinking specifically of Ft. Bill downhill. Sure they can say “no drones” but what can they do?

The cheaper they get, the more there are. It’ll be as prevalent as the selfish stick next. No typo.

wwaswas

The new William Gibson book has people being employed to fly interceptor drones to keep other drones away from an event.

Of course the other way to do it is to try and interfere with their on board electrics – targeted emp?

matt_outandabout

Almost as good…

CountZero

Yeah, I know it’s an Octi, I just had a different name in my head and didn’t proof-check before posting, sorry about that.
    For those afraid of small drones:
    SKEYE Nano Drone, An Incredibly Tiny Quadcopter That is Small Enough to Land in the Palm of a Hand
    http://laughingsquid.com/skeye-nano-drone-an-incredibly-tiny-quadcopter-that-is-small-enough-to-land-in-the-palm-of-a-hand/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Not what you want your drone taking a picture of…’ is closed to new replies.