Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Not very proficient at downhilling?
  • ton

if YOU were not very proficient at riding downhill over rough terrain and obsticles, what kind of bike would YOU choose

a full suspension bike
    a long travel forked hardtail

no need to debate this, or point the errors of anyones way’s 😀

just a nice simple answer.

woody2000

Boing boing 😀

epicyclo

I choose rigid hardtail.

alpin
    Free Member

are you looking to improve your basic technique or simply make it down the hill in one piece…?

nickf
    Free Member

I choose a full DH full-suspension bike for me.

I’d make the same choice were I extremely proficient at DH, mind you.

greeble
    Free Member

suspension is a skill conpensator

LoCo
    Free Member

FS, what type of Downhilling proper DH tracks or ‘trail’ downhill or Sweary Northerner ‘tech’ downhill (the really tricky bits)?

IHN

Well, speaking on behalf of a friend who is not terribly proficient, I, sorry, he rides a 130mm forked hardtail.

woody2000

no need to debate this, or point the errors of anyones way’s

just a nice simple answer.

I see this has been comprehensively ignored already!

greeble
    Free Member

i see this has been comprehensively ignored already!

if thats the case.
    ride with someone who is a good tutor and teach him how to decend correctly – body position, brake setup – lever position.
    the 130mm bike is fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Eh up Ton – want to start another argument?

Rigid of course -preferabley steel and SS

theflatboy
    Free Member

FS.

flyingmonkeycorps

A FS if I wanted to just get down and have fun.
    A HT if I wanted to learn to ride “better”.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My Heckler.

greeble
    Free Member

A FS if I wanted to just get down and have fun.
    A HT if I wanted to learn to ride “better”.

dissagree.

if the guy can’t decend on a ht he wont be able to decend on the fs.

rocketman
    Free Member

A FS obv but not the kind of lightweight, noodly, seatpost-tastic FS you see wobbling round trail centres 😉

MarkyG82

What Monkey said.

I have a FS for general trail riding ‘cos thats what I like. Who says you have to get better at riding. (braces oneself) can’t we just enjoy it?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Whichever is the slackest with the biggest tyres.

flyingmonkeycorps

dissagree.

if the guy can’t decend on a ht he wont be able to decend on the fs.

Double disagree 😉

GW
    Free Member

ton – Member

if YOU were not very proficient at riding downhill over rough terrain and obsticles, what kind of bike would YOU chooseSorry, I can’t even begin to empathise with your? predicament 😕

If you mean if I wanted to improve? personally I’d simply ride more, doesn’t matter what!
    you can’t buy better downhilling proficiency (you can hire men who will help you tho)

lunge

A small hardtail if I wanted to improve, a big DH bike if I wanted to be fast.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Full suspension. I rode stuff at a speed I never thought possible on a Spicy I demo’d.

GW
    Free Member

Whichever is the slackest with the biggest tyres.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Also depends how much moola they have, we have an On One Summer Season in the house, chain device 1×9 and big tyres, all off here cheap. Its a hoot on the downhill, makes one’s teeth rattle, does not go as fast as a DH bike but good fun.
    After years of not being very proficient at DH I made up an ‘all mountain’ that could do dh and a bit of other things so not totally restricted/wasted.
    An alternative for be to find a cheap old Orange 222 (old dh frames/bikes are very unloved) with some old Bombers on and plow through everything, but if they are not too proficient they will prob be well over biked.

Sancho
    Free Member

based on personally wanting to improve my downhill riding, (do bigger jumps, ride rougher terrain, generally faster and more fearless)

Ive done a few things
    first ive been riding with lads that ride downhill
    Ive ridden both hardtail and full sus.
    Also borrowed a downhill bike.

also been to the Thackley skills area to learn how to pump and do table tops.

For big drops and how to ride fast and corner Ive been to Hamsterley on the big downhill bike and literally followed experienced riders and done as they do (as best I can).
    Ive taken the full-sus to Esholt, Silton, Whanrcliffe and Stainburn with downhillers and just ridden with them to try to follow lines and to just try keep up.

Also people questioning my sexuality when it comes to drop offs etc usually is the encouragement i need to have a go.

Main thing to going fast is to relax.

If you want a laugh and try some stuff then Esholt is awesome at the moment, the digging is so good and the lines are so brilliant, short runs but brilliantly well done with a bit of everything.
    but dont tell anyone it’s secret.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

GW – in answer, I’m def stupid.

ton

teej………what do you mean, start a argument?

GW, as helpfull has ever, you miserable t wat.

thanks for the input everyone else.

Paceman
    Free Member

Full Suss for me, but either will do, as riding bikes downhill is fun regardless 😀

toys19
    Free Member

as much travel as poss, and get under Jedi’s wing. Then you’ll earn that you could do it on a roller skate, but it’ll be more fun and more comfy on a boinger..

5lab

full sus. gives you the ability to hit big stuff harder, with a big of survivability if it goes wrong (ie landing big drops onto braking bumps).

hardtails are great for learning to trail ride better, if you’re on a full dh course the flow you can get out of a big bike makes you quicker

yunki
    Free Member

proper downhill on a hardtail is hard work and requires a great deal of skill to do it quickly

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m notoriously rubbish at DH, despite having invested in skills compensating machines.

I’d go for two things:

1) The most stable feeling bike you can find
    2) Coaching

I’ve a coaching session on my birthday list next year!

Northwind

Depends… If just wanting to ride like that, then full suss. If wanting to improve, then possibly hardtail but still probably full suss (making things harder doesn’t neccesarily make you improve faster)

GW
    Free Member

ton, what didn’t you find helpful?

the first line of my reply was “tongue in cheek”, the second my honest reply.

toys19
    Free Member

GW I’ve never seen you backtrack like that, wots up scared?

saxabar
    Free Member

The one I want to ride that is working properly. Normally this would be a FS, but DH on a poppy HT is of course ace fun too.

ianv
    Free Member

FS every time, especially if it was going to be used abroad. Bike park braking bumps suck on a hardtail.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If I didnt have to pedal it up the hill I’d choose the longest travel FS DH bike that I could find. My skills need compensated for.

GW
    Free Member

Backtrack? hardly Toys 🙄 simply explaining my previous post to Ton who seems incapable of both comprehension and construction of the English language.
    What would I be scared of exactly?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Something that’s stiff, long and plush to man-handle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Not very proficient at downhilling?’ is closed to new replies.