Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Not sure this has been done yet. Not your usual DX thread.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Can the Bastid be modified to give a more flood like throw? Its quites spotty at the moment so I was wondering if anybody had modded one.

I guess it would be the reflector that would need changing or am I wrong?

I_Ache
    Free Member
    z1ppy

I find the bastid floody compared to the 'normal' P7 torch from last year, and am happy with it bar mounted and a 'normal' P7 torch on my head.
    Still waiting to find out if the reflector on the helmet version is the same as the bar mounted version. I'm doubtful it's different, but still curious, though I'd assume it would be a tighter beam though.

and yes a change of reflector would be necessary.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

ummm why do people call it 'bastid'?

z1ppy

IIRC it was first used on this thread, I'm not reading though it again to check though:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-50-quid-dx-bike-light-dissed-disected-oh-sod-it-its-not-good-news

I_Ache
    Free Member

It just seems to have more throw than I need and while it is relatively floody I would definitely sacrifice throw for more flood.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Somebody must have an idea even if they havn't tried it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Somebody must have an idea even if they havn't tried it.

Your options if not changing the std reflector would limited to:

1. grind the front edge of the reflector away a bit

2. take the orange peel reflector surface off with a cutting paste or
    similar.

Personally I wouldn't recommend either of the above. Its pure guesswork with no guarantee you'll like the end result; you will probably end up with less light on the ground and obviously neither would be recoverable.

3. replace lens with one that would defract light to give more flood.
    Easily recovered if you don't like. No lens recomendations to offer you though.

Padowan
    Free Member

I put a thin piece of frosted plastic in front of the glass lens to diffuse the beam slightly – a trick I used to use for using diving torches as underwater video lights. I'm sure that I've sacrificed some lumens thrown out, but the beam pattern is a lot softer and works really well with my more spotty head-light.

GW
    Free Member

stick it on your head and you won't need more flood.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I dont mind replacing the reflector at all I just don't know what to buy to replace it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Not sure this has been done yet. Not your usual DX thread.’ is closed to new replies.