Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Not on Facebook, am I missing out?
  • franksinatra

Had a FB account for a few months a couple of years ago but didn’t really ‘get it.’ Now it feels like the whole world is using it except me. Even my Mum is on FB.

My family and friends are spread all over the world so I reckon it would be a good way of keeping in touch, but I also think that a lot of it is self promotion, a modern version of the school reunion. There also seems to be a whole new load of modern dilema’s, such as whether or not to become ‘friends’ with your boss!

Am I really missing out?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am I really missing out?

Not at all.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s great for being friends with people you sit opposite at work.

Haze

No – jacked mine in a while back, occasionally wonder if I’m missing out but soon realise it’s just reading what someone had for tea or something just as boring.

iDave
    Free Member

I’m friends with people I like, and not friends with people I don’t like. My closest friends are all over the world, and we keep in touch via facebook. You don’t have to poke people, do the school reunion thing, or tell everyone what you had for breakfast. Many businesses are now finding a FB page more useful than a company website, which I’d go along with.

I rarely see any boring shite on there as I suppose my few friends are not boring people. They have quite interesting diverse lives.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have an account but very rarely update my status. I have a few old school friends on there and all they do is post utter shite. It’s shocking. They must be glued to it on a constant basis. Use it for what you want.

yossarian
    Free Member

I just tend to phone or call round to see people/go for a pint if I want to catch up with mates.

Do you think it will catch on?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Someone once told me;

“It’s great for getting back in touch with people you’ve lost touch with”

To which I replied, “There’s a reason I’ve lost touch with them….”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s it all about, FB, what’s it all about?

People keep asking me ‘are you on FB?’. No, I have a telephone, a mobile telephone, email, Skype- why do I need anything more than that ffs?

I was distracted earlier by some nutty Brazillian lass on Skype; sending me pics of herself in a bikini. Lordy, a man could go blind. 😯 🙂 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

And how they all laughed….

Not on Facebook

That’s what you think, we’ve all seen the pictures. 😯

Facebook is quite useful for the business, I have other ways of keeping in touch with friends.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s a strange one. I’ve got to meet and get involved with some local mtbers through facebook and internet fora. so that’s good. You’d be amazed at the mindless boring crap people (including myself) post though – but that’s life. It’s been bloody handy for me as I’ve added a load of workmates, and if I’m short of shifts, I can give a shout out on facebook and get someone or other offering me to do their shift pretty sharpish. It’s great if you are a nosey parker. I’ve found it overall to be a useful social tool. I do wonder what people make of the random crap I post sometimes! (much like here!).

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Love the fact everyone who has a mildly aggressive outburst at the very mention of Facebook almost certainly know that if they joined it they wouldn’t have enough friends to get them out of double figures and the aggressive stance is just a defensive measure against people trying to get them to join. 😈

To the sociable, friend-rich among us, it’s great!

edhornby

weren’t people asking the same thing about mobile phones a decade or 2 ago? It’s a tool to be used wisely or foolishly – iDave has it spot on, be selective about who you associate with

although if you find that someone bores the ‘nads off you, it’s quite satisfying to unfriend someone cos they don’t know about it

Torminalis
    Free Member

It certainly makes organising a stag do easier. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

I’m FB ‘friends’ with friends, colleagues, family, MTB people and ex-students. Apart from one or two, they’re all people I’ve met in real life, and those are people I’ve ‘known’ online for years and are friends-of-friends.

I block every app the first time I see it, so I escape most of the crap.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“To the sociable, friend-rich among us, it’s great!”

Says he, straight from da interweb!

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

…and hopefully they retorted, “That’s an extremely broad statement and who are you and get out of my house.”

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m pretty selective about who I add though, I add people that I like and am friendly with in one way or another, and not just people I know. I do think it can easily be a double edged sword and I try not to go on FB when I’m too pissed!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ Jamie!

epicyclo

There’s an app called ‘Better FaceBook’ which makes it easy to cut out the drivel.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but how does it differ from just sending block emails to everyone? Kev; none of that stuff you mention can’t be done via email or ‘phone.

weren’t people asking the same thing about mobile phones a decade or 2 ago?

No, they weren’t actually. Most folk were thinking ‘how handy, a mobile telephone I can take out with me’.

I mean, why do I need to bung up stuff like what music or films I like, on some internet bulletin board type thing?

And as for Twitter, well…

10.00 Feel better now. Having some muesli.
    9.55 Had a big poo
    9.35 Need a poo
    9.15 Feel a bit bunged up. Having a coffee.

Please.

I do like Cheryl Kerl though.   😀

geminafantasy
    Free Member

“To the sociable, friend-rich among us, it’s great!”

Says he, straight from da interweb!

Does this mean we’re all friendless losers? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

And as for Twitter, well…

10.00 Feel better now. Having some muesli.
    9.55 Had a big poo
    9.35 Need a poo
    9.15 Feel a bit bunged up. Having a coffee.

Please.

Nothing like being fair and balanced. Yes there is a backwash of mundanity on Twitter that would make your eyes bleed, but it is also an extremely efficient form of communication when used right.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use facebook. I tend to use it with my real world friends who are nowadays a bit scattered.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“Does this mean we’re all friendless losers?”

Pretty much.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I know. Believe me, I’m pretty cynical. but a mate is currently organising an “Event”, a Snowdon walk, which he has posted up on FB, so loads of people that are “friends” of the “Group” can check it out, and decide to attend or not. and it can be adjusted, or updated as the event comes closer. It’s really quite cool. so you can see who’s coming, not coming, who makes suggestions for pub or food, you can comment on their suggestions. You can reccommend the event to other friends, etc. all in one space. So, I’ll go on this walk, and meet friends of friends, that are interested in walking up mountains that I may have already chatted to online.

iDave
    Free Member

Yeah but how does it differ from just sending block emails to everyone?

It’s much easier, quicker, and has more aesthetical betterness.

If you think you have very boring friends maybe it’s a reflection on who you attract in life?

molgrips
    Free Member

My family and friends are spread all over the world so I reckon it would be a good way of keeping in touch, but I also think that a lot of it is self promotion

All facebook does is let you talk to your friends. If they are into self promotion, then that’s what you’ll see. If they are just keeping in touch and sending nice messages every so often, then that’s what you’ll see.

Might as well complain about being in a room with your friends.

Yeah but how does it differ from just sending block emails to everyone?

Because stuff you put on facebook is less important and direct than an email, and it’s very easy for people to skim read and pay no attention to unless something jumps out – more so than email. Your friends can filter out certain kinds of stuff but not others if they want to cut down on spam. You get to share videos, pictures and links with anyone on your list who cares, but if they don’t care it’s not intrusive.

Some people’s stuff I like reading about, some I block.

I have practically no apps either.

It’s a tool, don’t blame it if the results aren’t to your taste.

convert

Another advantage of having a wife – she has the FB account; most of our friends are mutual; she gets to waste half her life on it (giving me access to the TV when required); I get the useful info filtered by a real human so don’t miss out on socials etc without having to trawl through all the guff.

I have thought about getting my own account, but am quite convinced I’d use it for no good digging up past daliances with the opposite sex and as I don’t think I could avoid being friends with my own wife it’d only end in trouble. Or can you have secret “friends” that other “friends” can’t see you are friends with?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve said it before – it’s great for being friends with the person sat opposite you at work.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve said it before – it’s great for being friends with the person sat opposite you at work.

I would say it a third time, people need to be made aware of your genius.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve said it before – it’s great for being friends with the person sat opposite you at work,

There.

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but it does nothing I can’t do via email. It’s just like having a website where everyone has their own page, I spose.

S’just yet another password to bloody forget.

If you think you have very boring friends maybe it’s a reflection on who you attract in life?

Where did I say I have boring friends?

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve resisted FB for years. I have only 40-50 friends, who are really friends or family. But in the last couple of months I’ve reassessed that view. Fact is, social networking is the future. I feel like I need to play catch-up in my field of work (media) and there’s a good chance I’ll have found my next job through FB. I don’t like it but I know when I’m wrong.

Just look at the companies who are letting their corporate websites lie fallow while all the action takes place on their FB page. I think seeing it as a school reunion or for stalking old flames is out of date. I think you need to see it as another mode of communication, up there with radio, TV etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you send out a couple of emails a day telling people what’s happened in your life?

naedeyw
    Free Member

judging by the amount of time you spend on STW spouting b0ll0x Elfin I should imagine most people are glad you don’t do the same on fb… 😈

djglover
    Free Member

I am a friendless looser and thats the way I like it!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s not very nice is it naedeyw? 😥

Do you send out a couple of emails a day telling people what’s happened in your life?

There’s on particular mate I keep informed about my daily bowel movements, as I know it amuses him.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t keep many friends and have little family. And I like to partition my life. Classic introvert. It’s not for me.

emac65
    Free Member

It’s just another way of communicating with people,bit like on a MTB forum,only you actually know the people(or should do) on FB…
    So how many anti FB people post on here a fair bit……? 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Not on Facebook, am I missing out?’ is closed to new replies.