Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Not many houses for sale?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Might be putting our house up for sale soon so I’ve been looking around to see where we can go next. Been checking for a few weeks and there doesn’t seem to be much for sale at all.
    There are two types – Houses that seem to be reasonably priced turn to Sold STC really fast (is it worth enquiring about them when we are looking properly or not?) and the overpriced ones which seem to sit there forever and never get reduced – not sure why they are up for sale at all.
    I’ve got a wide search criteria but there doesn’t seem to be much choice at the moment.

In Huddersfield area BTW.

Are there going to be more available as the summer approaches?

nickjb
    Free Member

The good ones sell fast. As annoying as they are you need to get in with the estate agents. By the time houses pop up on rightmove or in the paper they will already have been rejected by a lot of people which should tell you something.

robdob
    Free Member

I am hoping we might get a good deal as we don’t have kids and don’t plan to so are happy buying something which might put families off – school catchments, smaller gardens, weird layouts aren’t as big of an issue for us!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Market definitely slowed in London where new higher stamp duty has discouraged people from moving. Not sure elsewhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

house prices have subdued recently – im not saying dipped cause its not true but the rise folk are wanting isnt happening so there just isnt the volume of houses coming to market that there was.

julians
    Free Member

Not much is appearing for sale on the open market round here (stockport) , no idea if that means they are coming up for sale , but then being sold immediately so therefore not appearing on rightmove/estate agents windows.

The only stuff that is for sale appears to me to be over priced/right next to the new bypass that is in the process of being built.

footflaps

I’d guess that the impending election is putting people’s plans on hold. We were in a B&B in the Lakes over Easter who said the last time they weren’t full over Easter was an Election year….

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @footflaps says, I think that is definitely a factor

darrenspink
    Free Member

New mortgage rules.
    Took me three hours on the phone just to remortgage with the same lender (not moving) Last year it took me 5.

I know one couple who almost moved last March, had a mortgage agreed etc but chain fell through. Now the same couple can’t borrow the same amount (20k less) because of all those extra questions the banks (rightly) have to ask and look into.

Im certain this is having an effect, property is being reduced all the time around here

doris5000

market may have slowed on average but not everywhere!

Just in the process of buying now in East/inner Bristol; generally speaking nice houses are selling within about a day of coming onto the market, fixer uppers are taking a few days, and prices are a good 10% or more up on this time last year. (also most things are going above asking price).

There were/are plenty coming on to the market, and it’s true about getting in with the agent – after we’d seen the same lady 3 or 4 times in one week she started showing us places before they’d even officially been put up.

I don’t know about putting plans on hold – as a first time buyer you just want to get in there quick before prices sail off over the horizon for good – but i guess other people will have different priorities…

ampthill

Round here houses seem to go quickly, that’s mid beds

you need to be getting notification from agents as soon as houses are on the market

cupra
    Free Member

Quite a lot for sale where I am (Perthshire) and they either go quick or take 6-7 months or more to sell.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

2 neighbours just sold their house with just 1 day posting .. i don’t even know how it is possible

oldboy
    Free Member

In Huddersfield area BTW.

I guess you must be in the sub £250K band, because the market here for more expensive homes had been stagnant for a few years, hence all the unsold properties you refer to. I know, because my other house is one of them 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Lots here in our (fairly big) village not far from Derby – possibly a generational thing as original owners on the estate are starting to downsize 30-40 years on.

Those that price to sell get sold quickly, those that don’t really need to take a look at themselves!

brooess
    Free Member

Buyers are giving up as prices too high

The bottom graph is interesting – there’s basically no buyers coming in at the bottom of the pyramid as they can’t afford current prices based on their current and future expected salaries.

I suspect sellers are hoping if they wait, prices will resume their previous rise after the election…

Personally I’d take the advice above – price sensibly (and fairly) rather than to ‘make a profit’

kimbers

we managed to sell ours just b4 xmas and things seem to have really slowed down in our part of that london (according to our estate agent)

to be fair I though the house was overpriced hen we bought it, what we just sold it for is silly imho

the government have tried really hard to keep the bubble going, im just not sure that its that sustainable, even in the south east

MartynS

There’s loads…..
    We’ve been looking and must have seen 30 odd houses. We were being quite picky about what we wanted, but looking at everything.
    There’s a lot of rubbish out there though, and some quite overpriced.
    as has been said, you need to be on agents lists to get tipped off about stuff. The couple that have bought mine must have done this.
    My house went up on the market lateish on a Tuesday, proberbly about 4pm when the details went live. I had a call at 5pm to do a viewing at 5.30pm, then the next day a call to see if they could go back mid morning and an offer at very nearly asking price by 12.30. So it can happen really quickly!!

thecaptain
    Free Member

We have just accepted an offer on ours in a few weeks. Neighbours with similar property have been on at a higher price for months with apparently no interest (acording to the agents, who we also used, and found very good).

Depends how desperate you are for the few quid extra I suppose, we might have squeezed out 3-5k more if we had been really really lucky and been prepared to wait indefinitely. That’s a lot of cash in our pockets, but the house is already empty and costing us bills and time so we are happy to get shot of it.

robdob
    Free Member

Sounds like I just need to get it on the market ASAP and sign up to the agents in the area to let me know about new houses on the market.

I am hoping I don’t get some buy-to-let investor buying my house as they have a bit of a reputation round here for dropping their price when it is expensive to back out of the sale.

robdob
    Free Member

I think I’m set on going with an online agent to do the sale of our place – £5-600 instead of £2k at a normal agents doesn’t make sense if houses are selling well at the moment.

footflaps

I am hoping I don’t get some buy-to-let investor buying my house as they have a bit of a reputation round here for dropping their price when it is expensive to back out of the sale.

We sold a buy to let flat to a BTL investor last year. It has some settlement, so was difficult to sell as it kept raising subsidence red flags. At the last minute he asked for £2K off, we were over the moon as we were prepared to knock up to £20k off to shift it given the issues!!

titusrider
    Free Member

Just had an offer excepted in Reigate, put it in on the first day of viewings and we offered pretty close to asking as everything good has been moving fast recently.

weren’t actually looking too intently, just keeping an eye so it felt like we pretty much ‘impulse bought’ a house 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Update – after a few weeks looking at houses (pretty much anything within budget even if it looked unsuitable on the Internet) I was starting to get worried as we couldn’t find a place. Everything either needs drastic work which we couldn’t do as we need to live in the house or they are vastly overpriced.

So drastic action – I made a short and friendly leaflet and posted about 150 in the village we want to live in. Got a couple of responses, one from an already overpriced house which I think we will go and look at – it’s already on the market. The other one hasn’t been put on the market and it’s one of the houses we really want. I don’t know if it will be in budget but it should be. We are going to meet the owners on Thursday, hopefully we can sort a deal out. I don’t necessarily want a bargain, just a fair price, and in the meantime save the sellers the EA fees.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Market definitely slowed in London where new higher stamp duty has discouraged people from moving. Not sure elsewhere.

slowed relative to what though? i have a flat in a small block of 14. when i was looking to move last year i couldn’t even look at anything as it was gone before listed or went for over asking, managed to find somewhere i was happy with but had a short lease (not silly short 75 years) which put people off and i know it will be £12k to extend in 2 years time but i factored that into the price.

8 months later and 2 basement flats are for sale for 60k more than i paid and one has sold 1 week later the other under offer. so in my part of SE19 things are back to normal, maybe something to do with Foxtons opening here a few months ago.

br
    Free Member

If you are buying/selling in the same area, let your selling agent do some of the work and see if they can find someone and/or recommend you to their ‘mates’.

jon1973
    Free Member

2 neighbours just sold their house with just 1 day posting .. i don’t even know how it is possible

sold our house through an agency before it even made it on to rightmove. The agency had someone on their books who was looking, and then made an offer at the full asking price.

Singed contract with agent on the Friday, a couple saw the house on Monday, made an offer on Tuesday which we accepted. House appeared on Rightmove on Wednesday marked as Sold STC.

Now we just have to find a place. Agencies will always seem to give first refusal for new properties to people who have sold though them.

robdob
    Free Member

Now we just have to find a place.

That’s the difficult bit!

robdob
    Free Member

Update – went to look at the houses who had contacted us. The one that was already on the market was fantastic, absolutely mint. But it’s still £30k overpriced in our eyes. I don’t know why I daren’t offer them such a cut off their asking price, maybe I should.

The other house which isn’t on the market was fab, fields at the end of the garden, nice big garden too. House was fairly basic but in good condition. They are going to figure out a price and get back to us.

We also caught wind of another place which we visited. Again this was a complete minter with very high spec interior but it was a bit small. They are going to come back with a price for us too.

While my wife was away I decided to have a drive round another village and found by chance a house with a handwritten for sale sign outside. Rang the number and had a chat with the owner, going to see it tonight!

robdob
    Free Member

Well I have just made a cheeky offer on the house we went to have a 2nd viewing on – offered 180k, asking price £210k

Well if you don’t ask???

Found out we may have to move out on the 28th Aug and we have nowhere to move to yet – thankfully some friends are putting us up for a while but I’d like to get an offer accepted somewhere soon!

hooli

If you don’t cringe when you make your first offer, its not low enough 😉

ajantom

On our new place (just moved in, it’s lovely!) we offered 20k under the asking price and settled at 15k under in the end. It’s always worth asking 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

On our new place (just moved in, it’s lovely!) we offered 20k under the asking price and settled at 15k

so was it up for £560k or £80k? a meaningless statement without the asking price.

franksinatra

I wouldn’t be shy about offering £30k under price, the worse they can do is say no.

I like to idea of posting leaflets, I have heard of this a few times and seems a good way forward.

My sister was about to offer on a place a few years ago just around the corner from her house. She was walking round with my dad to show him and saw people clearing furniture out of a different house. Got chatting to the people who were relatives of the recently deceased owner. She looked a the house and shook hands on it 15 minutes later.

robdob
    Free Member

If you don’t cringe when you make your first offer, its not low enough

That’s a perfect way to put it!

robdob
    Free Member

My sister was about to offer on a place a few years ago just around the corner from her house. She was walking round with my dad to show him and saw people clearing furniture out of a different house. Got chatting to the people who were relatives of the recently deceased owner. She looked a the house and shook hands on it 15 minutes later.

I had a drive round the area and found a house with a handwritten for sale sign outside it, enquired about the house there and then. Unfortunately it needed way too much work but its always worth checking in person around the area.

robdob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be shy about offering £30k under price, the worse they can do is say no.

It’s 14% less, which sounds a lot better than £30k less!

chestrockwell

We offered well below asking on our house just to show we were genuinely interested. We expected a counter offer but the low bid was accepted with no negotiation.

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive comments! We went through our finances last night and agreed what our max offer is. This first offer is a genuine offer of what I think it’s worth at its reasonable lowest amount. Not trying to get a mega bargain as we like the house a lot but the offer we have made is £10k less than they paid for it BUT they bought at the peak of the market in 2008.

We can go up a little and I will do as the house needs nothing doing to it and is pretty much perfect. Even has an electric garage door and a door into the kitchen from the garage – most important thing in my book!

brooess
    Free Member

Personally I’d wait till early next year if you can and see what happens with interest rates and also the BTL-ers’ response to the changes in the last budget.

There’s few people who think houses are at fair value at the moment. It’ll take some time for sellers to accept this I suspect but given an interest rate rise reducing the amount both owner-occupiers and BTLers can pay, and a few more over-stretched BTLers selling up + a little more negativity in the media about BTL and I suspect asking prices will begin to become more realistic…

As always this article doesn’t clarify whether it’s talking asking or selling price and it seems odd that some areas would drop so much whilst others increase so much. From what I’ve seen of the data, it’s asking prices but it suggests the situation in London is no longer constant sky-high increases.

Falls in London?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Not many houses for sale?’ is closed to new replies.