Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Not getting lost
  • dogtramp
    Free Member

Looking for the best Garmin for Mtb trail riding
    Logging trail starts ,rides ,maps for location
    Any suggestions

Trekster

Started biking long before GPS was available, this meant using OS maps, getting lost and being able to navigate back to base using said OS map.
    Still do so ……
    🙄

bikeneil
    Free Member

Agreed. OS is the best. GPS is lazy.

jam-bo

What’s so wrong with getting lost.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Getting lost is the best bit.

jonba
    Free Member

Probably the 810 as it displays a map making it easier to see where tracks are and plan a return trip on the fly.

Helps to have some understanding of OS maps so you can understand the type of trail you’ll be riding on.

I still use pigeons to send messages, phones are lazy.

v666ern
    Free Member

Ignore the dinosaurs, get an 810 and strava premium. Segment explore and download the route that one of the winners has used BOOOM!
    😆

njee20
    Free Member

1000 has a significantly bigger screen than an 810, with better resolution. I love mine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If they are one of the very few people that allow you to use their GPX.

Get lost, use a map to help, have a wee adventure. I

dogtramp
    Free Member

Nice responses
    Not scared off getting lost just want to quickly map out the good trails don’t always have time to stop and use os map
    Having to much fun riding
    Thank you

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use my phone. New OS maps app provides instant “you are here” position on an OS map. Also ViewRanger for routes and Endomondo for logging. That being said phone is not as convenient as bar mounted gps, plenty of choice available and depending on whether you want mapping or just route directions/logging.

FWIW I am happy being lost from time to time, all part of the adventure

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Started biking long before GPS was available, this meant using OS maps, getting lost and being able to navigate back to base using said OS map.
    Still do so ……

This. I still only use an OS map for navigation/looking at possible routes. The only thing I find useful is a Garmin Etrex to give me a grid ref. (for when I get ‘lost’)
    Makes me wonder if & when people will/can only rely on GPS etc.

I use my phone. New OS maps app provides instant “you are here” position on an OS map. Also ViewRanger for routes and Endomondo for logging. That being said phone is not as convenient as bar mounted gps, plenty of choice available and depending on whether you want mapping or just route directions/logging.

Do you always (& I mean always, no matter where you are in the UK) have coverage on your phone?

tenfoot

810 with OSM maps for me. It works well generally.

Mostly I ride within a 2 or 3 hour window, so I’d rather be riding than looking at maps.

iolo
    Free Member

Some great stw reposnses. Someone asks for advice and no advice given but op belittled for asking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This. I still only use an OS map for navigation/looking at possible routes. The only thing I find useful is a Garmin Etrex to give me a grid ref. (for when I get ‘lost’)
    Makes me wonder if & when people will/can only rely on GPS etc.

Maps in Tasmania are crap, anything that has had some forestry done seems to be a different layout of roads, tracks etc. compared to the map. Being able to pop up a route and go with it is great. After that you are down to where did we go last time did we follow the pink tape….

OS maps since I was about 9 or 10 doing DofE right through until recently.

For a simpler day out following the line but having a map back up is nice. Takes one thing off your mind. Having nearly descended the wrong side of Helvellyn in shocking conditions about 10 years ago a GPS would have saved a large amount of time doing tiny point to point navigation in zero visibility getting cold and wet in the process.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Do you always (& I mean always, no matter where you are in the UK) have coverage on your phone?

maps are stored on your phone, so you don’t need data coverage.

pdw
    Free Member

Ignore the luddites. I’d much rather spend time looking at a map the night before and planning a route than getting a map in and out of my rucksack when I’m trying to ride. My first GPS was an Edge 305 – no maps, and a limit of 100 points on a route, and even that was a transformation when riding new routes as a quick look down confirms whether you were still on course or not, rather than having to stop to check a map.

Have a look at either the Edge 800 or 810. The only difference between the two is in the smartphone connectivity, so personally, if you can find a good price on an 800 I wouldn’t bother with the 810.

I have the OS maps, but probably wouldn’t pay for them again as the free openstreetmap ones are better, although less reliable on the legal status of trails (bw vs fp etc).

mau00149
    Free Member

Once got asked while backpacking abroad if i ever got lost while travelling – response “Never, however I sometimes take the scenic or adventerous route for a change!”

marcgear
    Free Member

If I’m riding somewhere I don’t know I plan my route on the OS map on my phone, then export it as a GPX which I chuck on my garmin edgse 300.

During the ride the garmin acts as a quick reference and keeps me pointing the right way, while the phone is there as a backup. If I’m in any doubt whether my battery will last I’d take a hardcopy OS map as well.

andytherocketeer

eTrex for me, with OSM maps (from garmin.openstreetmap.nl )
    not quite as “online” as phones etc. but the fact that it has batteries that last for days rather than hours, swings it for me. 2 AA’s in the backpack, along with a OS (or equivalent) map. far moer convenient than USB chargers and stuff to eek out a couple more hours from a bike GPS.

lets you copy maps and gpx files on, and copy recorded gpx file off to uplink wherever.

also got a Polar M400 watch which is handy just for tracking stuff online.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Not getting lost’ is closed to new replies.