Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Not being an academic…
  • HansRey

my girlfriend works for a company doing similar things to what you described OP. And her sister. One studied electrical and lighting engineering, the other studied HVAC systems at the same university. The work they do now has little to do with their studies.

They are applying some tests according to criteria laid down by http://www.breeam.org/ and another american rating agency. They run some models with easy to use dedicated software and communicate with clients.

Yes, having a degree does help. But once you have passed, you may not be using that knowledge specifically. Rather, you’re learning how to use data to fit different building standards/ regulations and how to save big building conglomerates some cash.

When i was at uni (graduated last year), some people did fail in the first year. It doesn’t matter particularly as long as you work harder in the next 2-3 years. If you aren’t motivated by a subject, talk to a friendly tutor or tech in your department and see if you can get a placement within the dept or at a local company to get some perspective. One of my friends did a similar thing, and he’s now at Rolls Royce.

mail in profile if you wanna send me a line,
    HR

bazzer
    Free Member

I barely scraped through some of my mid session exams on my degree. I had always done really well in exams previously to that. I initially thought to my self the I had reached me level and was not clever enough. But luckily I thought I am not giving up. I worked my ass off through the Easter holiday to get my self upto speed on some of the areas I was lacking.

I was fine after that and walked away with a 1st in engineering. So don’t give up it will be worth it. Its still one of the things I am proudest of in my life.

Bazzer

saxabar
    Free Member

CaptJon is offering sensible advice. If your personal tutor really is a numpty then make contact with students a year or two above. Do you have a course Facebook group or similar? If so make contact and buy someone a coffee and half-hour of their time. If there is content that you do not “get” also use your lecturer’s office hours and try your personal tutor again explaining in friendly terms why your last conversation was not much help. If all of this comes to no avail, go see your Head of School and make a complaint. While there is an onus on students to be self-motivated, there should be a support mechanism to catch students who are having real trouble and seriously considering leaving. Finally, if you think you are on a bum course then you might consider transferring university?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Thanks all, really appreciate it. Will give a bigger response when I get back in – I’m going in for a revision session (with the course writer), so will have a talk with him after the session.

FWIW this is a Russell Group University.

meddle
    Free Member

I dropped out of Uni 3/4’s of the year through doing Information Systems, but that was a load of shit. Not geared towards anything specific, and I weren’t going to do 3 years of that just to then go to another uni to do a specific degree.

Having just basic A-levels at the moment in hindsight I wish I’d finished it just so I could have something to fall back onto while I plan my future, so at the moment I’m working deadbeat jobs waiting for September to come where I’ll be studying a vocational qualification in accounting (AAT and then onto CIMA).

It’s more expensive than university in a way that I won’t get a loan or grant, I have to pay the fees myself but it’s part time so I can work, it suits me to the T, I was never ever any good at academic study as I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I tried out Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, then onto ICT but I’m glad for that as it’s lead me to accounting and something I enjoy and I’m ambitious about, there just wasn’t enough in the ICT I was doing to be useful in getting a job.

Just posting my current experience from when I’ve dropped out, might be helpful, might not.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah I haven’t exactly explained it well.

Right, my career interests involve energy efficiency within the commercial buildings sector – so perhaps the idea of retro fitting appliances or the use technology to ultimately lower energy consumption in buildings > cut a businesses C02 footprint > save them money.

Obviously there would need to be a demand, which I guess in the current climate is pretty low.

Meanwhile I’m learning about concrete/etc.

That’s pretty much exactly what I do (well part of it). I also did the building services engineers degree and had to learn about concrete, bitumen etc. The detail it went into made it completely irrelevant for the course. It’s only one module so just try and endure it. The course gets better, although I must say that I didn’t learn much practically useful stuff. 10+ years in the industry has taught me a LOT more.

ourmaninthenorth

Maybe I’ve had overinflated ideas of university support, I just envisaged time tabled tutorials with our lecturers. Like back in the day?

Sometimes I think there is a general lack of explanation by schools, colleges and universities how life changes as you attend each of the institutions.

you also have to remember that almost none of your lecturers are primarily there to teach (unlike school teachers or FE lecturers who are only there to teach). The vast majority of lecturers are driven by their areas of research – teaching is just something they also do*.

So, as a consequence, they aren’t there to hold your hand. HOWEVER, they do know lots and very few are averse to providing guidance and direction.

Make appointments to see them (don’t just expect to turn up in their office) to discuss what you’re finding tough and to seek out some guidance as to how you might overcome it.

Also, don’t be afraid to approach some fellow students who you get on with to ask some questions. Sharing knowledge is always a good thing.

*This is slightly simplified.

scuzz
    Free Member

Hey Paddy.
    If you’re struggling with maths, I’d get a copy of K.A Stroud’s Engineering Maths book at the level you want. There’s a foundation, his standard ‘Engineering Mathematics’ and an advanced.
    The three of them will take you from pre-calculus up to the maths level required for final-year accredeted engineering courses (well, nearly).
    I’ve found no text book that is easier to follow, worth its weight in gold. Got me through my degree.

wrecker
    Free Member

scuzz + 1
    If it is the building services engineering course, also get a copy of chaddertons “building services engineering”.

saxabar
    Free Member

Just to add to ourmaninthenorth: teaching, in terms of hours, is small part of what we do. It’s certainly something many of us a kick out of as it is a very welcome break from research, which can be lonesome and headache inducing but in terms of hours it is a small portion of our week. Beyond teaching and research there is lots of administration, meetings, industry engagement, special events, marketing, blah blah, and other roles that takes up a lot of our time. There’s no complaint from me (I see what I do as a vocation), but the idea of lecturers swanning around in their research bubbles deigning to teach a few hours isn’t quite the way it works.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Hey all.

Thanks, lot’s of interesting things being said by you all. Good to hear.

Thanks for the book suggestions as well, I’ve found the titles on Amazon and will be purchasing them soon – hopefully.

I understand and appreciate that the main interests of our lecturers is their research, but it’d be fair to say that a student should be entitled to support, even if it isn’t with them, perhaps a post-grad – I had made this suggestion to staff for myself (on advice from others), and I brought it up again today – but that still doesn’t appear to be an option.

I’m getting a good amount of support from people (those on BEng/MEng) who are in with us for materials who believe that we (as in my group) should be doing a maths module as it is benefiting them. (this module goes from A-Level onwards.)

Will keep my chin up 😉

thanks again all!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Not being an academic…’ is closed to new replies.