Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Northumberland riders – some local knowledge needed please
  • cinnamon_girl

Just gazing at some maps (holiday route planning) and wondered if there is any interesting riding to be enjoyed in Harbottle Wood. There seems to be a bridleway that runs through the bottom towards the firing range, any singletrack?

Threestoneburn Wood – any riding there?

College Valley – this was mentioned in The Times. Worth a visit?

Finally, The Cheviot looks as though it is footpath only so where would be a good starting point, with parking? I will be bringing my walking boots but don't have any red socks!

Thank you so much. 🙂

Edit: e-mail in profile if you don't want to broadcast your knowledge.

carbon337
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rides-around-kirknewton-nr-wooler-cheviots

There are loads of Brideleways around Clennel street – get a OS map and look to the north of Alwinton which isnt far from Harbottle. Some take you up towards Cold law and the Pennine Way. Top of Cheviot is always a boggy mess though. Ive never ridden these only walked them.

There is a nice tea room at Barrowburn I have been informed which is past Alwinton.

Email me if you need more info.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I climbed Cheviot a couple of years ago and we parked here. That's assuming the road is passable after all the bad weather – it was pretty bad in May 2008.

Never ridden any of those places you mention. My favourite routes in Northumberland are Rothbury and Hexhamshire Common, and in Durham Blanchland.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies 🙂

Have ridden around Rothbury/Alwinton/Clennell Street including the infamous Davidson's Linn! Will definitely check out that thread.

May well talk to Tim of Northumberland Bike Breaks about some guiding.

There better be some decent Summer weather!!

cinnamon_girl

OK, looking specifically at Holystone. The bridleway that runs west to join up with Tofhouse Road – worth riding? Looks as though some interesting loops could be made, ie to Elsdon and that famous tea shop 😉

A few years ago I rode/walked Clennell Street then Salter's Road. The bog was seriously awful 😯 Is it still the same in Summer?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'm sitting at my em+pee's house in North Northumberland as I type, just Northeast of the Cheviot. I would advise bringing a singlespeed. Ark. A singlespeed ark.

If it's dried out, set off SE of Holystone and make for Simonside, it's really nice round there with some happy trails.

EDIT: And Cheviot is a horrid boggy mess – not worth it, there are far better hills to wander up, down and around in the Cheviots.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you HeathenWoods 🙂 Singlespeed is for Southern duties only!

I won't be there til Summer so plenty of time to dry out … maybe! Just feel that I need to walk up The Cheviot.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Just feel that I need to walk up The Cheviot.

Then ignore me – I know the call that certain parts of the land can exert. It's wonderful country.

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, I know. This will be my third visit. 8)

Woody
    Free Member

Have you talked to Tim yet ? I would thoroughly recommend his kinowledge and hospitality if you haven't.

ps. Hopefully you are not there in the next few days. I've literally just driven down from Aberdeen and the whole place (Edinburgh to Morpeth and all the way across) is either flooded, covered in snow, or both.

Drac

Just stumbled across this thread. My email is in my profile I'll gladly show you around our beautiful county when your up here.

cinnamon_girl

Woody – won't be there for a couple of months so it better be dry by then! Haven't spoken to Tim yet, have maps scattered on table and am putting together some ideas. Thanks for update though. 🙂

Drac – thanks very much. From memory you are in Alnwick direction, is that right?

Will be firing off some more questions soon.

cinnamon_girl

Would appreciate an update on conditions around Clennell Street/Davidson's Linn/Salters Road please.

Thank you so much. 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

Was up there a few weeeks ago and it was lovely and dry however its been a bit soggy since. If I here of anyone who has been up recently I will let you know.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks carbon. 🙂 Does the bog actually dry out completely?

warton
    Free Member

Clennell street normally rides OK, however salters road is a mess pretty much all year round, especially the top of it, close to middle hill, avoid this bit like the plaque, there is a forest road that bypasses the worst of it IIRC, its been a year or so since I was up there though.

MTT
    Free Member

Woo, local people. Clennell Street is pretty clear at the moment, one gate you may have to traverse on your way North but other than that its fine. Pick up…

Google Maps: 55.403292,-2.197298

… before Fairhaugh for a nice run south along a pretty good trail, blink and you'll miss the turning so keep an eye out for the finger-post. Sorry about no link, it doesn't seem to work 😥

white101

Going up on Friday night for a spin and then a stop in some old barn and then back out saturday morning, will report back on conditions.

Drac

Conditions are just fine even after last nights heavy rain, in fact they the still the best they've been for a long time.

CG Tim has got a busy schedule coming up but still worth a shout, my offer still stands and yup Alnwick so takes me no time to get there.

If you going after mid July I have a sneaky feeling a certain mag may have some routes in. Designed by a rather handsome local 😆

cinnamon_girl

More replies, thanks very much. 🙂

Is Salters Road still used by MX'ers?

mtt – will check out the map ref.

white101 – do hope you're lucky with the weather too! Look forward to report.

Drac

It is CG but hasn't taken much damage, the heavy snow kept them out and now it pretty dry so not too bad. There also seems to be a lot less use and a lot more signs asking them not to ride.

cinnamon_girl

Drac – thanks very much for offer. Have been struggling with germs for weeks on end so am now just going to pootle around on my own, am taking walking boots too.

So you're going to be famous are you? Shall look out for the mag. 🙂 Certainly Tim has been featured too!

Really good news about the trails and lack of MX'ers. When I started a ride from Alwinton, I was most upset to see a load of MX'ers mid-week arrive in the car park. 😯

GEDA
    Free Member

Personally I don't like Alwinton up Clennel Street, the climb is good but the rest is a bit boring. It is better to go up the Alwin through Kidland and up WhiteburnShank. Much more atmospheric. You then meet up with Clennel Street, down to the Usway and climb up to the border. The slabs then up to Windy Gyle are cool and then the track down to Trows and Rowhope is fast if dry or frozen. Climb back up to the Usway and go down to Fairhaugh and down the Usway to Battlesheilds. Hang right at Shillmoor then up Path Peth and back down to Alwinton.

There is also an epic trail over the border at Dere Street but that is not so easy to describe and has the mother of all climbs back to the border ridge.

warton
    Free Member

GEDA, think I need to get the maps out, all that sounds very interesting!

white101

CG all is well in the Alwinton/Clennell St area's. Did a 15 miler last night from Barrowburn Bunk house where we stayed, coming down Clennel St and out of Alwinton. Did a larger loop around Clennell St and upto Bloodybush and back today, very nice.

Weather was really good, dry winds keeping all of the riding in good condition.

Enjoy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland riders – some local knowledge needed please’ is closed to new replies.