Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • North(ish) Wales – which centre(s)?
  • colournoise

Off on my hols to North Wales (Harlech) this weekend. Taking the bike obviously but after some advice as to which centres to hit up. Will probably be able to do 2 or 3 days riding.

I ride a LTHT (BFe) and prefer swoopy, rooty stuff to ultra-techy rockfests.

CYB is a definite, but where else should I look at? Favourite centres elsewhere are Cannock (for the two cliff descents), Laggan, Brechfa and Whinlatter.

Also, any natural stuff I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

slainte ❓ rob

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For me, if it’s playground stuff you’re after – CYB and Brechfa (Although the latter is hardly Northern!)

CYB is in parts a bit of a rockfest, but all rollable (Unless, like me at the start of my last trip, you’re riding like a big jessie! 😳 Had to go back and do a couple of sections again!)

If you like swoopy goodness, then get thee to Nant yr Arian. The big loop there is a great mix of playground and open spaces stuff, IMO. Oh, and swoopy…..swooopy……swoooooopy!

chakaping
    Free Member

You will love Penmachno I bet. Make sure you do both loops (2nd is extension of 1st).

stevede
    Free Member

Penmachno as said above is well worth a visit but personally didn’t enjoy the extension bit, the normal loop is really good though, especially the final third of it, don’t expect facilities though as apart from the car park there isn’t anything else (nice in a way). Snowdon is well worth considering as long as your prepared to either go very early or do it as an evening ride (voluntary cycle ban currently in force). Llandegla is good fun, the Marin trail I found a bit tame, classic xc i suppose, lots of fireroad for very little payback IMO. Hope this helps – I did a week based in North Wales in march and the only trail centre trail I wouldn’t do again if given the opportunity would be the Marin trail.

Russell96

Second Nant yr Arian mix of man made and out in the wilds stuff, mark of Zorro is ace.
    Third Penmachno and remember to put a donation in the box.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They don’t really do swoopy/rooty much in snowdonia!Too many rocks. Pont scethin down the road from you behind tal y bont is worth a look for sure though.As is the dyfi forrest.

colournoise

Thanks for suggestions so far! Looks like Penmachno and Nant yr Arian are front runners.

Rorschach – understand that. Not totally averse to the odd rock garden, more meant that slow, trialsy stuff isn’t really my thing.

slainte 😉 rob

thesquaredog
    Free Member

CYB of course!

If you are travelling through North East Wales to get there, Llandegla is definitely worth a visit.

The Cli-machx trail in Machynlleth is also nice…

http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/Dyfi_MTB/ClimachX.html

If you fancy some uplift action you might want to check out the new downhill trails at Blaenau Ffestiniog…

http://www.anturstiniog.com/Default.aspx

smiff
    Free Member

i was not super impressed by CyB.. partly it was very wet, and wrong bike setup, but.. it just didn’t flow nearly as well as I like. lots of trails are too narrow to get any speed. felt like a chore. actually enjoyed the blue there more haha. i love Afan btw.

^ sounds like Nant yr Arian would be more my thing 🙂

stucat
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of Snowdon (which you should) you need to be of the mountain by 10am or after 5pm

stumpy01

Penmachno, definitely.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Llandegla is the most fun IMO. The others are more scenic/natural.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Degla is much improved since the first time I went. Nanty is always good value and sounds like your thing.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian is my favourite trail centre out of those I’ve tried so far. Didn’t really like CyB much, felt like it lacked flow and was just a bit dull. Llandegla is alright but given all the praise i read about it on the internet i found it a bit underwhelming. Do Snowdon if you can, one of the best rides I’ve done this year.

franki
    Free Member

I still think CYB is by far the best Welsh trail centre. Can’t really understand the comments about lack of flow.
    Penmachno, Nanty and Cli-machx are great too, although I think the final Cli-machx descent was closed for a while – best check if it’s back open first!

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno i just felt like CyB was quite up and down with boring flat bits whereas NyA is more of a long climb before a long descent kind of ride if that makes any sense. Mind you we only did the dragons back so maybe the longer ones are better?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Have a look at the new centre in Blaenau Ffestiniog 30mins from CYB.
    Plenty of teck stuff to keep you going with uplift

franki
    Free Member

Ahh, I’m with you _tom_ … I thought you meant the singletrack sections didn’t flow well, not the trails as a whole.
    The only bit of singletrack I don’t like is the fist qualifier bit of the Beast, right from the centre. It just seems bumpy for the sake of it and is more of an annoyance when you’re eager to get going, rather than adding any technical interest. (Bear in mind I was on a rigid SS last visit.)
    After that bit though – sweet!!! 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

Marin Trail, Penmachno and Llandegla (if you’re that far over).

I ride a LTHT (BFe) and prefer swoopy, rooty stuff to ultra-techy rockfests.

Steer clear of CyB in that case.

teamslug
    Free Member

+1 Penmachno. Best trail centre in Wales. Its rocky in places though.

colournoise

Thanks for all the suggestions. Did CYB and Penmachno in the end.

For me both were OK – did the Temtiwr and MBR (and the Green with my wife) at CYB. Lots of fire road climbs and lots of rocks but also some proper fun bits – favourite section for me was probably Pink Heifer. Was amazed at the amount of cars and bikes at the centre but saw no-one (except a couple of BSO riding women who had obviously strayed from their intended trail) on my ride round the MBR – what trails do everyone actually ride there (heard LOTS of talk at the cafe about the Blue from all types of rider)?

Penmachno again seemed to have lots of fire road climbing compared to the descents but was a cool ‘natural’ feeling trail with two VERY good sections (the wooded section at the start of the final 1/4 of the trail and the final descent).

slainte 😀 rob

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We did Penmachno on Tuesday I was very disappointed. The beast at CyB was ace but hard work … and Marin trail initially seemed like a lot of fire road for not much pay back but 2nd half way better and made it worth hike although it is short. Still want to get to Nant y and Brechfa at some point

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘North(ish) Wales – which centre(s)?’ is closed to new replies.