Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Northern Skye Routes
  • allyharp

I'm heading to Skye soon and am very interested in the famed Quiraing singletrack, travelling through The Prison, The Needle, The Table. But that's the only route I know up in the North.

We'll be there to do the Sligachan route but I feel it may be hard to convince my friend to travel so far North for such a short route – is there anything else nearby that could make the day a little longer?

duir
    Free Member

The Glen Sligachan route is anything but short. If you do the full loop it can take several hours and in poor conditions even longer. Give yourself a full day for that one.

robgarrioch

For a little more entertainment / warm-up, see this old thread. Not a challenging route, more for interest / novelty value than anything, just so odd to find a kosher trail that never seems to get used…

grumm
    Free Member

Not sure about Northern Skye – I heard there was some bike trails over on Raasay though – never checked them out when I was up there.

allyharp

Don't worry, I'm not expecting to do any more than Sligachan in one day! Will be doing that route then staying overnight in a hostel somewhere (though not sure where yet!)

We'll also be heading to Torridon afterwards. It's just a question of whether I can find enough riding to make it worth heading all the way up to Trotternish. I think it's looking unlikely now – but I suppose that gives an extra day for Torridon.

Thanks for that link Rob, I haven't come across it before. Might check that out whilst we're there.

druidh
    Free Member

I still fancy doing the whole Trotternish ridge one day…..

P20

We've just 'done' Skye last week. The Quiraing is short but, we took sometime and enjoyed the views, the weather was stunning. Equally the Sligachan circuit was fantastic, a truly stunning valley, though again the weather was superb. We did see some riders around the Old Man of Stor, pushing up. Not my kind of thing, but guess you could do that in the same day as the Quaraing

didmatt
    Free Member

he Quiraing is short but, we took sometime and enjoyed the views, the weather was stunning.

some pics from when I did it back in Feb 2009.

As for riding the Old man of Storr, its pretty steep and very techy, walked it a few times over the year. However there is a few vids of people riding down it on youtube and its also on Earthed 4 dvd too.

P20
    robgarrioch

Larger Kyleakin trail pics

Just for bigger size satisfaction…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Northern Skye Routes’ is closed to new replies.