Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • North York Moors – Best singletrack?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

What in your opinion is the best section(s) of singletrack in the North York Moors?

Want to piece a route together for a weekends riding with pub/b&b stops.

Any good route recommendations?

Thanks!

momo

Not sure about a route (been a while since I lived up that way) but I would definately recomend the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge for the overnight stop, B&B with great food, or campsite attached to the pub for the budget option (still get breakfast in the pub though).

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Could start at Sutton Bank national part centre, ride the cleveland way (not all strictly bike legal) to Guisborough – session the plentiful singletrack there then head over via Kildale to Blakey Ridge and then back again on day 2.

Might be an idea to stick post on the forum at mtbguisborough.com – lots of local knowledge there.

davo
    Free Member

theres no camping at the lion anymore, some **** had a rave there a couple of years ago and smashed the place up!. you can only camp there if you are doing the c2c walk and pre book. its a pity there is some great riding round there.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Thanks!, a few ideas there. any more?

mos

Rosedale to High Askew.
    T'was good a few years ago anyway.
    Part of a rout we did from Levisham

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you ride from sutton bank to cleveland way make sure you take a left turn at boltby wood down the briddleway to cowesby, theres some fantastic downhill singletrack along there, then take the road to kepwick up kepwick bank, you'll rejoin the cleveland way there, the decent down black hambleton is also a good one to chequers cafe. there are some really good pubs in Osmotherly that sell top notch beer. Let me know if I can help any more as i live a couple of miles from there and ride it every week or so!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

<cough>bump</cough>

jim
    Free Member

I'm quite partial to the descent from Bilsdale Moor into Fangdale Beck.

http://www.multimap.com/s/j2DDRj5W

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

This bit's very good:

*tries desperately to remember what it was called*

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

May have been nr West Gill Beck??

nbt

Rosedale is great, nice campsite, two fab pubs (and one less fab) and plenty of singletrack. Hutton-le-hole had some nice looking singeltrack, not sure how legal it is as we were walking

DeeJay
    Free Member

jim – Member
    I'm quite partial to the descent from Bilsdale Moor into Fangdale Beck

Gets a bit overgrown though towards the bottom 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I love this bit when it's dry

keavo
    Free Member

lords stones cafe to clay bank car park…contour the front of the moors not over the tops. alternatively you can take a right turn about 1/2 way (to clay bank) climb up then descend to chop gate. also from lords stones, head west through the gate at the top of carlton bank and follow the singletrack, when you reach the corner of the woods, skirt the top edge of the woods (excellent and easy to follow) or go into the woods on what starts as an obvious track but you could go wrong in the woods. loads more around danby, fryup, ainthorpe. guiborough has good stuff but you'll probably miss it without local knowledge.

keavo
    Free Member

that bit uplink posted will be good now, even though its been widened. approach it down the black dashed line that the 2 'L' s (Locker and Low) are next to, thats a nice downhill.

This little section takes you down through a beautiful little valley towards Hawnby which has a good pub with nice ale, from there you can you could head up Hawnby Moor and onto Bilsdale Moor

didmatt
    Free Member

Anything around Chop Gate is pretty much amazing,

theres a great descent into Cockanye http://www.multimap.com/s/g6C9OhvO

Also, any of the stuff around here http://www.multimap.com/s/j9ElG63k and then down into Great Fryup Dale.

didmatt
    Free Member

Thurman Merman – Member
    This bit's very good

*tries desperately to remember what it was called*

http://www.multimap.com/s/h7D1PhoO your right, its the descent at West Gill beck down into Chruch Houses. Its pretty ace, rode it for the first time last month. Just didn't enjoy the mammoth climb back out of the valley!

ton

st from wardle rid north over simon howe rig down to goathland.

st from rosedale round to lastingham.

jim
    Free Member

that bit uplink posted will be good now, even though its been widened.

Indeed, was nice and dry on Saturday 🙂

golfcurry
    Free Member

I'd definitely be including great hograh moor down to hob hole. this isn't far from baysdale.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Fantastic! Thanks for all your responses, with the stw ride guide and other et research, looks like I have the makings of 2 epics days riding….. 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘North York Moors – Best singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.