Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • north york moors
  • alex222
    Free Member

Any one got any routes for the road bike? I would like to do Rosedale chimney bank. So a route that takes that in. Starting roughly from Pickering. Thanks in advance.

AngusWells

This one’s fairly straight forward:

Pickering
    Wrelton
    Cropton
    Hartoft End
    Rosedale Abbey
    Rosedale Chimney
    Hutton le Hole (detour into the village for a tea and a pee stop)
    Lastingham
    Cropton (the New Inn is the home of the Cropton Brewery – not isotonic but worth a check http://www.croptonbrewery.com/)
    Newton on Rawcliffe
    Pickering

This keeps you off the A170 apart from a couple of miles at the start. The problem with the Moors is that the roads run mainly north south with very little east west so the A170, being an east west route, tends to get busy.

Roo
    Free Member

Have a look here The Moor Tour

alex222
    Free Member

Angus and Roo thanks muchly. I think that the moor tour 160km ride looks pretty brutal. May have to give it a go though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most of the roads are comletely straight (blame the Romans?) so riding on them isn’t too bad, I did a 100 mile loop the other week entirely on the A171, A170, A169, A174 and felt safer than on a lot of the narower roads! Added bonus it’s almost impossible to get lost.

Start in Saltburn -> Skelton -> Lingdale -> A171 to Scarbrough -> A170 to Pickering -> A169 to Whitby -> A174 to Saltburn.

2000m of climbing, 100 miles, and the climbs tend to be a slog to the top folowed by a steep drop, then repeat, so there’s no rest, then on the way back from Whitby the climbs all seem to be 1in4/1in5 just as your legs are dying!

alex222
    Free Member

then on the way back from Whitby the climbs all seem to be 1in4/1in5 just as your legs are dying!

Sounds like a standard ride in Derbyshire to be honest

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s proably a niceenough ride from Pickering actualy, the worst of the climbs are in the section between Pickering, then the steepest ones are between Whitby and Saltburn (great fish+chips by the pier), then the A171 back to Scarbrough is actualy quite quick and the A170 to Pickering is rolling rather than hilly.

alex222
    Free Member

Actually I need a route that starts in Malton and will go up Rosedale Chimney bank. If someone knows some routes that would be much appreciated.

scruzer
    Free Member

Pickering, Rosedale, Rosedale East, Blackey Ridge, drop into Hutton le Hole (long descent from the Lion (?) Pub at top of Blakey), descend Chimney Bank, Rose Dale, Pick. Chimney bank is a doable climb (aided by a compact for me) if doing it in reverse too.

AngusWells

It’s pretty flat between Malton and the southern edge of the Moors. You could go west from Malton on the B1257 and then head north at Amotherby. Follow the lanes north until they join the A170 between Pickering and Wrelton. You can then follow the route I put up the other day but when you reach Hutton le Hole don’t turn to Lastingham but carry on south to cross the A170 and follow the lanes back to Malton.

The first and last thirds will be flat but you might be glad of that after the Chimney. Alternatively, you can head east out of Malton onto the Wolds, which will give you instant hills but not the boast of having ridden England’s steepest tarmac road.

AngusWells

Here’s Wells minor, looking suitably aprehensive, as a bit of inspiration for you……

alex222
    Free Member

cheers mr wells. to be honest i’m not worried about getting up it. just want to say I have. I thought it was joint steepest with hardknott and whynrose in the lakes?

alex222
    Free Member

did it. twice. went on a pootle with my aunty and uncle from malton. I left them just before cropton. I rode on to rosedale abbey and did the climb. took pictures of the sign etc on my first climb. Got to the top and the wind was on my back (though I didn’t feel it until I had got over the steepest part) so I decided I would do it again. The second run at it was harder obviously but all in all good. I also spun out my biggest gear going from the top back down to hutton le hole where I met my aunty and uncle again and we had cake and headed home. I would like to put the climb into a bigger route but there will always be another time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘north york moors’ is closed to new replies.