Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • North Wales Trail Centre Conditions
  • Si
    Free Member

So ive read the Llandegla updates, but does anyone know what state Betws-y-coed, Penmachno or even CyB are in for us?

Meant to be headed somewhere on Tues.

Thanks

clwydrider
    Free Member

I've just checked the forcast and although we have a slight thaw at the moment it's giving a hard frost tonight, bearly getting above freezing tomorrow with heavy snow on Tuesday. I would have a back up plan, there is still a lot of sheet ice about and if that is covered by snow things could get tricky.

steveh

CYB was just very wet today, all the snow had gone though.
    Penmachno was very snowy on xmas day but should have thawed by now.
    I'm off to the Marin trail tomorrow so will post another update then if I remember.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    genesis
    Free Member

Would second that low ground temp means the frost still won't shift and there has been a severe weather warning issued for snowfall in Wales at altitudes above 200m.

Blower
    Free Member

Si sunny and dry down there lad get yer sen there.. 🙂

Si
    Free Member

Might just go home. Sun has been out on Dartmoor today…

trailmonkey

Forget it. Conditions are beyond vile down here. Haldon maybe. Really can't be arsed to ride anywhere.

Maltloaf

the Marin trail was great fun today.

Well drained, but still wet. Worth a visit

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thinking of Penmachno for Wednesday but worried about the impending 'heavy snow' that I've also seen forecast. I've never ridden there – anyone with any experience of it in the depths of winter – in terms of navigation and ground conditions please? Cheers. 🙂

genesis
    Free Member

Stay at home.

Bunnyhop

gonetothehills- I've ridden Penmachno in freezing conditions and it can get really icy on the top sections, due to it's windy wildness.
    I've ended up on my hands and knees dragging the bike along the trail before now, as the water that runs across the paths on the descents was thick sheet ice. I would think it would be fun on fresh snow though.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Hmm – thanks Bunnyhop and genesis – is it nearly summer yet…? 🙂 I'll keep an eye on the forecast before committing to the drive over. It's been pretty tricky over here, so I guess I'm not surprised at how it is in Wales.

smartay

I agree with Bunnyhop, the top section at Penmachno is very exsposed, you'll get to feel the full force of the weather up their! stay within the tree line.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

steveh – Can you give us a Marin conditions update please?

Hoping to head over there on Wednesday as I'm going stir crazy here because of the ice

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

CyB was perfect this morning. Ice in places (mainly puddles), dry because of the frost and surprisingly grippy pretty much everywhere. I set out to do the Beast but I think the MBR sections are closed for maintenance so I ended up doing just the Dragon's Back. Beautiful clear crisp morning, views in places were stunning.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Steveh – How was the Marin Trail?

Can the locals confirm that it's only rained in the area today or not please?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Bump – sorry but I need a bike ride tomorrow

JoeBones
    Free Member

Me too, going to get the PA ready now

fastindian
    Free Member

Rode Penmachno yesterday all very rideable with the odd bit of ice and snow and plenty of cold water! Im an hour east and its snowing here now and forcast to last all night same for penmachno with rain tommorow.

One thing, half way round loop 2 the trail now splits, and currently there are no signs. I went left – FAIL i think you need to go for the right fork.

mccett
    Free Member

Did Dragons back yesterday afternoon, was snowing hard at the far side before Addams family descents and sticking but as we got lower it was just raining hard. Should be fine if it wasnt cold over there last night.

mAx_hEadSet

It's gonna be a whole lot worse, snow just stopped after a solid 15 hour dump across central North Wales, although a bit wet and starting to melt now the forecast is for more and a freeze tonight…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

We did the Marin Trail today and it was quite possibly the best ride of the year.

091230 The Marin Trail At It's Best

Forget Llandegla get yourself to The Marin Trail before the snow goes or it freezes over 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘North Wales Trail Centre Conditions’ is closed to new replies.