Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • North Wales riding, wheres best?
  • crashbanggg
    Free Member

Next week Dad and I are driving up to North Wales (Llyn Peninsula area) for a few days camping. Having never ridden in Wales, I’m going to take my bike with the intention of getting some riding done there/ on the way there.

I’ve had a brief look for trail centres and the like but haven’t really come to a definitive conclusion. My initial thought was Coed Llandegla, but after reading a few reviews it looks like a lot of uphill for not much in return. So what are peoples recommendations? We’ll be travelling up from Derby so to keep things (Relatively) en-route they need to be North Wales. Riding wise, I really like the red graded stuff at Cannock so I guess things about that level would suit.

Wow…That was really long winded.

Cheers

Chris

grum
    Free Member

Llandegla is pretty good imo, not sure why so many people don’t like it.

I’d probably go to Penmachno though which I think would be right on your route pretty much. Coed Y Brenin isn’t far away either – I really enjoyed The Beast there.

Russell96

Penmachno and the Marin, Penmachno is a Marmite kind of trail some hate it others myself included think it’s one of the best man made trails there is. The Marin is old school as far as manmade goes but the last three sections are still brilliant.

But as you are on the Lleyn, then Coed y Brenin would be a good way to spend a day, or go down to Nant yr Arian for a day.

ampthill

Coed y Brenin or Penmachno

Coed y Brenin has more options

Penmachno is more on route I think…

grum
    Free Member

+1 on Nant-Y-Arian as another option, great fun.

hugor
    Free Member

Llandegla is fantastic IMO. Lots of trails and a great cafe.
    CyB is of course the standard and you gan’t go there and miss that one.
    The MBR and Dragonback are excellent trails.
    Marin was a massive let down for me.
    Not done Penmachno but I have heard lots of good things.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Penmachno is fun, for sure, but tbh, I think it’s better to ride about in the mountains and enjoy the surroundings, rather than just look for thrills. I don’t really get quite that same buzz from trail centres, but they are good for a couple of hours fun and games.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

These are all looking pretty good! Coed y Brenin stands out so far so that looks the most likely.

What are the black graded trails like? I’m pretty happy with most aspects riding, except huge jumps and drops…

Sue_W
    Free Member

For a non-local, softy southern shandy drinking city type, Elfinsafety is rather spot on.

Penmachno is (IMHO) the best trail centre round here (at least you get to see some of the mountains), but the best riding is in the surrounding hills. Pick up a copy of the Bike Fax book to Snowdonia and an OS map, and take you pick. But from the ‘locals recommended’ list:

– Conwy mtn / the eastern Carneddi / Drum
    – Telegraph Valley
    – Snowdon (if you want the iconic epic)

Alternatively take a road bike – the Llyn Penisula is a lovely spot for road riding.

Duane…
    Free Member

This is a quick vid of me riding our local trail in North Wales 😛

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/202772/

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeh, but no one knows where it is Duane 😉

going round here tomorrow…
    http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/conwy-drum-mountain

(loads of routes on that link)

Duane…
    Free Member

And rightly so 😛

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kev – unfair posting that! I’m going to be stuck on the train to Cardiff and the weather looks great tomorrow! Have fun (just don’t tell me about it …)

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Been to Nant y today, the black route rocks, great wilderness riding. Lovely cafe and views. Highly recommended

Kevevs
    Free Member

aww boo Sue! but it’ll make up for the washout on Fri! Let me know if you’re up for a decent roadride on Thur.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

North Wales is very beautiful and you will see many lovely things there.

Look, beautiful:

You will have to be very careful though as there are many dangerous creatures roaming around loose and unfettered:

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kev – will let you know re Thursday after I get back from Cardiff. If not, if you fancy an evening ride, I’ve found the steepest climb in the ‘hood near ByC …

Elfin – would you ever speak to me again if I told you I could name the breed of sheep you’re pointing at 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s a sheep?? 😯

I thort it was a dragon. 😳

Kevevs
    Free Member

it slowly dawns on Elfin there are no tower blocks or offy in Penmachno!
    CIMG5635 by kevinevs, on Flickr

edit: Nice one Sue, steep climb eh? you say that like it’s fun! have a good ‘un in Caerdydd.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

The day before, I’d had a tantrum at CyB cos it was raining so we went to Llanberis and had the biggest burger in the World from Pete’s Eats.

This is the view from Tal Y Fan, overlooking Conwy, Llandudno and the Great Orme. You don’t get views like that at most trail centres.

I think I had a tantrum just after that pic was taken too, as we coo’t find the way to the top.

I love that part of England. I am sooo looking forward to going back this year….

nasher
    Free Member

Elfin. did you do drum mountain into conwy? awesome descent…. and nice to see a “tourist” do some natural stuff than the constant trail centres…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

ElfIn, I have been all over the top of Tal Y Fan. Didn’t know what it was called at the time or where I was going but rode it because we were on a camp site on the coast side of it and decided to go for a mooch. Stunning place and you can have the biggest camp fires in Wales on the camp site.

Frodo

+ 1 Penmachno. IMO the best man made trail in the UK.

Still the natural riding in North Wales is phenominal. The Bike Fax Snowdonia has loads of great natural rides and details of the trail centres.

morgs
    Free Member

I love that part of England. I am sooo looking forward to going back this year….

Right, who want’s to start “ignorant englander” bashing? 😆

crashbanggg
    Free Member

I ended up riding Coed Y Brenin twice, both times riding the Dragons Back 😛 I wouldn’t have done the same route twice, but the first time I missed one of the signs so missed a section out and was curious to see what I had missed! And if you are the guy on a Stump Jumper with blue hubs… that’s how I somehow overtook you 😉

Have got to say, the trail was mint!

Nick

While I’ve always enjoyed rides at any of the trail centres, make sure you do get at least one wilderness natural ride in the bag.

Llyn Colwyd (was in the mag a few years ago, Snowdon was the medium route, Llyn Colwrd the Hard) or Pont Scethin:

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/mawddach-estuary-and-pont-scethin

(pic is Llyn Colwyd)

Russell96

Last issue of WMTB has an article about linking the Marin to Penmachno that makes for some great riding too. Would personally do it slightly different, but its great for showing some of the other ace stuff out there apart from the usual purpose built trails.

Ps.. Marin is going thru some repairs/updates at the moment

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘North Wales riding, wheres best?’ is closed to new replies.