Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • North Vs South wales for a weeks holliday?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

50/50 split of trail centers and natural stuff (so were not always map reading and forrests are a safe bet in the rain)

Where would you go for a weeks holliday?

The north has Snowdon (ok its not that much a challange, but nice to say you’ve done it).

The south from what I’ve seen has some propper “big boys BMX track” type trailcenters, especialy the one way out west who’s name escapes me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go in the middle and have a play with Nant y Arian, Machynlleth and then maybe even head up to CYB. All very good for driving distance.

the one you refer to is Brechfa. Which is ace! That said, for a week, NYA, Mach and CYB should be a good basis. Speak to Tegid at the Holey Trail in Mach and he might give you some more good routes (His bunkhouse would be a great base as well)

snaps
    Free Member

Brechfa – awesome place

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

snaps – Member
    Brechfa – awesome place

Apart from those odd people lurking by the side of the trail with a camera…..

😉

snaps
    Free Member

I heard the lesser spotted perv was making a rare appearance!

heihei

Neither – go in the middle!! Elan Valley, Mach, Pont Scethin, Cadair Idris – all awesome natural rides.

nostoc
    Free Member

Another vote for the middle.
    Easy to ride all day and not see a soul whilst the Beacons and Snowdonia will be crawling.

qwerty
    Free Member

roadtrip?????????? n do it all!!!

project
    Free Member

Middle or North, as then youre more than likely to be able to drive home in your own car,not have it nicked or burnt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Already done the middle once, didn’t inspire me, seemed almost devoid of singletrack! Lots of uphill sloggs, crossing miles of boggy ground, followed (finaly) by about 10 miles of awesoem, flat out, doubletrack downhill with a million and one little hip jumps and drop offs!

would considder droing both, but from living in Wales for 10 years, i know that whal looks like a long straight A road on a map, will in fact be a 3 hour exhausting drive, eventualy covering less than 100 miles, and you will have triceps like popeye form manhandling the car through more corners than the entirery of england! Actualy, that sounds like fun 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon I’d be up for either, i’ll get back to you sometime this week with dates that i’ll come along, won’t be the whole week but will be 2 or 3 days. I’ve only done the trail centres so knowledge of natural trails is non-existent i’m afraid, up for any routes though.

i’d be up for snowdon, like you say, be good to do at least once to say you’ve done it?

I’m in Preston by the way

waihiboy
    Free Member

north/Middle defo (im from the south)

Llandegla, Climax, Nant-y-arian, Penmachno, CYB

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

neil, there’s another guy coming down from Preston (Nick?) he’s got a motorhome, so posibly the most comfotrable, secure and pimpe’d lift imaginable! On the other hand im useless with names and it may in fact have been you that told me that.

I wonder if 661 would lend us their winebago for the week…………

IdleJon

I’d say north, but that’s only because I live in the south!

If you are near Swansea and want a guide for some non trail centre riding give me a shout.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

snaps, I think you mean “the dashingly handsome trail god was making an appearance”…..!

(although I did very nearly hit you, I was rather overcooking it at that point!)

izakimak
    Free Member

Neil853: I’m in on this and yes it’s me with the motorhome providing i can get it for that week, it belongs to my parent’s and their ofto scotland sometime in august so i’m not entirly sure if i have use of it yet. I’m in leyland so only a few miles from you i’ll let you know as soon as i can. What day’s are you going?

Nick

neil853
    Free Member

i’m going to have to talk to my girlfriend to arrange logistics 😉 we only have car but she stays at work (horse yard) when I go riding away. I was thinking of going wednesday night to saturday morning/afternoon? most i can do with the projects I have on at work at the minute, tight getting that to be honest.

well up for it though!

izakimak
    Free Member

neil853: Once i know if i can get the van i’ll let you know, wednesday to saturday sound’s ok to me i’ll drive so your gf can have the car.

snaps
    Free Member

Any further news/itinary for this?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

snaps, i sent a mail arround at the begining of the week, I've got two ideas right now, just need people to say what they'd like to do, and whether theyr definately coming, mainly because its looking increacingly unlikely my parents will have sorted a new car out so i can get my mits on the old one and so I may need a lift!

1) (biased towards northerners and everyone apart from Snaps realy)
    Provisional plan was meet up in the midlands on Saturday for a ride (some people along wayaway from wales), camp at my parents place (big NT park near derby) then head to wales with a stopover/meetup at cannock to check everyones still got all their bikes intact (and the fact i love cannock). Then head for wales, quick evening ride, then pub.

Then the week splits roughly in two, exact locations TBC, but probably riding arround one set of trails in mid wales Monday – Wednesday, then a different location (north) Wednesday night to Saturday.

2) (biased towards southerners, especialy snaps, can be combined with a cannock/midlands rides for the northerners to split the journey)
    Afan area on Saturday-Tueday nights, Brechfa is then on the way north on wednesday. Then CyB, Snowdon etc on thursday-Saturday.

snaps
    Free Member

I really don't mind, as I tend to go to Afan/Cwm carn for day trips but wanted to do more North Wales stuff & stay over – I don't own any camping gear so would B&B it. It's looking like I'll be on me tod & an very flexible travel wise.

Ti29er
    Free Member

You have the Brecon Baecons and the Black mountains in the south, which might be better for bridleways plus the various trail centres.
    I'm spending a few days based on Anglesey 2nd week in October, so if you deceide on the north, let me know what you think to both Snowdon (got to be done) and any other must-do routes.
    tim muddybum couk

Pieface

IMHO mid Wales is the best

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘North Vs South wales for a weeks holliday?’ is closed to new replies.