Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • North to South Wales MTB Route
  • DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Morning,

Looking at a few options for a long ride in the summer, has anyone done this route before? It looks pretty tough?!

http://www.mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_SarnHelenTrail_details.htm

Ta

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s also The Cambrian Trail which looks remarkably similar

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

That’s even further! some of the times registered look a bit serious….

si77

I looked at that route and decided to try the easier Caernarfon to Cardiff Bay route for my first attempt at Wales North 2 South, also this summer. How many days are you planning to do it in? Bikepacking or B&Bs?

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Si,

Not really thought about it but we would be looking at B&B, I may actually split in two to make it a bit easier and more acceptable for the family. The half way point of Machynlleth would be a good.

How did you find the route and how long did it take you?

si77

I meant this Summer coming, so haven’t got any useful advice to give yet, sorry. I’m sure someone else will be along shortly.

Your route’s going to be harder, no doubt. I might give it a try in the future. Let me know how you get on.

singletracksurfer

This is the one to do. Tough ride, but awesome. Break it up if needed. http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Welsh-Coast-2-Coast-route-map-and-guide

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

That route looks sounds singletrack surfer. We are 0lanni g to ride the cambria way. How much further is that route?

sprocker
    Free Member

I did the Sarn Helen one which turned into about 330 miles with getting very off course over 3 days. Had a mate in a van who pitched the tents for us on the 2 nights out.

I found it very hard and would have sacked it off had it not been for charity. I would like to do it again with the comfort of B & B’s and more time. The navigation bit got hard when very tired and dark.

Good experience though (and perhaps the 160mm travel bike was the wrong tool).

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve done the Sarn Helen completely, twice (3.5 days both times) and attempted it a third time but abandoned on the second day. It’s a tough old route although there are variations of it. The original, Roman Sarn Helen I’m led to believe has sections which are now dual carriageway imitating a motorway so the ‘actual’ route is subjective and devisive.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Really, any route calling itself the Sarn Helen has virtually nothing in common with the road of the same name, except they’re both in Wales ;o)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘North to South Wales MTB Route’ is closed to new replies.