Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • North Shields?
  • Taz

My sis has just been offerred a job in North Shields.

She does not know the area particularly well and is looking for recommendations on what areas she whould consider for property renting at least until she get familiar enough to consider a purchase.

Likewise any areas she should avoid?

Thanks

nickf
    Free Member

I’m from Whitley Bay (just a few miles away) though I’ve not lived there for many years. There are some nice bits of Whitley Bay, but most of it I’d not bother with.

As ever, depends on price she’s willing to pay and how many rooms she wants.

Personally, I’d avoid North Shields and go for Tynemouth, a mile or so further round the coast. There are some lovely coast-front Victorian properties, a fair number of which have been converted to 2-bed apartments, and will cost maybe £750 or so per month.

Best thing she could do is get on the phone to the big agents (Rightmove or the like)

Awesome beaches!

GrahamS

Yep, Tynemouth has lovely beaches. We go there quite a lot in the summer.
    Surfing too if that’s her thing.

Drac

Tynemouth is a really nice area but is becoming very popular so prices are rising. Best of all it’s only a short car journey to some good trails.

crispo
    Free Member

Tynemouth + 1 as well.Great chippy called the Fryery at the Priory!  😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve many colleagues who live out that way. Tynemouth or Whitley Bay are much nicer than North Shields. But given it is on the metro system why not live 20-30 minutes away in Newcastle?

Taz

Thanks all

She is single and a nurse so price will be a factor

I will recommend Tynemouth to her and she can have a look to see what the prices are like

Sounds like a commute from Newcastle is a perfectly reaosnable option as well

Drac

A nurse you say. Have a friend who’s a nurse who let’s out rooms and he lives in Tynemouth if she’s after somewhere just to get started. He works at the freeman though not NTGH.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Gotta say the locals are great around Newcastle/South Shields/Seaton Sluice/Seaton Dalaval etc – dated two girls over about 7 years in total whose close family all lived in that area and they were all lovely.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y

Ay

Man.

STATO
    Free Member

WTF! when did they puts stripes on the lighthouse!!!!

jon1973
    Free Member

WTF! when did they puts stripes on the lighthouse!!!!

It looks like a tube of toothpaste.

STATO
    Free Member

ah, its just a mock-up / photo-shop as the local foosball team won a mug or sutin.

http://www.whitleybayonline.com/

Nickf, why did you copy the pic and host it on your flickr when you could have just linked the image?

warton
    Free Member

I live in whitley bay, have done for a year now. Its definitely on the up, although the south end, next to cullercoats is probably best avoided. Tynemouth rents are very high. Whitley bay not so much so, but both areas are mainly families.

I lived in Jesmond and heaton in Newcastle for years, both have become overrun with students,and jesmond rents and house prices are daft. If she wwants to live in newcastle look at south gosforth and Ilford road IMO

Theres an area of North shields, next to the park that seperates tynemouth and north shields which is lovely. big victorian houses and flats, and prices are good, but rising pretty sharply, renting here could be a good option.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘North Shields?’ is closed to new replies.